What are you struggling with?

Best wishes to your wife @Ant … hope all goes well.

1 Like

So sorry to hear, man, and wishing the best for you and your wife. Positive thoughts & good vibes!

2 Likes

The best wishes for you and your wife @Ant hope everything will be fine :muscle:

2 Likes

…and they didn’t fit either, regardless. So yeah, it’s a drillout. Time to glue or solder some nuts to the things I guess.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Currently, I’m paralyzed by options. I can’t decide on a song to learn. I can’t decide on what direction I want to take my playing. I can’t decide on what skill to tackle next. I’ve been stagnant for almost 3 months. It’s frustrating the hell out of me.

I’m trying to force myself to at least finish the “Chord Tone Essentials” course over at TalkingBass so I can at least get some kind of positive momentum going. It’s just REALLY hard for me to get through Mark’s lessons (and SBL stuff as well). It’s a heck of a slog.

1 Like

This is a perfect reason to go to the 50 Song Challenge. I tend to go back to it when I am in this sort of funk.

Think of it this way, if you were taking lessons live with someone, you would get assigned a song, whether you liked it or not. Each song in the challenge teaches and reinforces a skill or concept Josh taught (he was very clever/sneaky that way). As @Barney says - sometimes you have to eat your broccoli.

Focusing on one thing might free up your brain to find a new path. As far as Mark’s lessons - yep, they can be a drag, but are all excellent. Some of the musical concepts are a drag and hard to learn and require hours and hours of rote, repetitive learing. Broccoli. When I get tired of Mark’s course, I try something else - watch a Rich Brown video on Youtube (Brown’stone) https://www.youtube.com/@richbrownbass - one of the lessons or some other quick one-shot lesson.

Sometimes you just need another short dose of something to get you going again, vs. trying to boil the ocean of Chord Tones etc.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from What are you struggling with?:

I’m trying to learn Crazy little thing called love. I have the first half of the song but can’t seem to get the second half down. Any tips. I have a book of 200 songs for bass in notes and tabs. Any tips. I love the course. I’m halfway thru it. Some days I get home from work and just tired or my hands are hurting.
P.s I finally got Rock and Roll all nite down by Kiss. (Favorite band). It’s a fun song to play

1. List item

Slow it down until you can get it then practice at that speed until you can play it with no problems then speed it up until you start to struggle and then stay at that speed until it’s no problem then wash, rinse and repeat until you’re at full speed and looking like a rock star.

2 Likes

Thank you