What are you struggling with?

Best wishes to your wife @Ant … hope all goes well.

1 Like

So sorry to hear, man, and wishing the best for you and your wife. Positive thoughts & good vibes!

2 Likes

The best wishes for you and your wife @Ant hope everything will be fine :muscle:

2 Likes

…and they didn’t fit either, regardless. So yeah, it’s a drillout. Time to glue or solder some nuts to the things I guess.

1 Like

Currently, I’m paralyzed by options. I can’t decide on a song to learn. I can’t decide on what direction I want to take my playing. I can’t decide on what skill to tackle next. I’ve been stagnant for almost 3 months. It’s frustrating the hell out of me.

I’m trying to force myself to at least finish the “Chord Tone Essentials” course over at TalkingBass so I can at least get some kind of positive momentum going. It’s just REALLY hard for me to get through Mark’s lessons (and SBL stuff as well). It’s a heck of a slog.

2 Likes

This is a perfect reason to go to the 50 Song Challenge. I tend to go back to it when I am in this sort of funk.

Think of it this way, if you were taking lessons live with someone, you would get assigned a song, whether you liked it or not. Each song in the challenge teaches and reinforces a skill or concept Josh taught (he was very clever/sneaky that way). As @Barney says - sometimes you have to eat your broccoli.

Focusing on one thing might free up your brain to find a new path. As far as Mark’s lessons - yep, they can be a drag, but are all excellent. Some of the musical concepts are a drag and hard to learn and require hours and hours of rote, repetitive learing. Broccoli. When I get tired of Mark’s course, I try something else - watch a Rich Brown video on Youtube (Brown’stone) https://www.youtube.com/@richbrownbass - one of the lessons or some other quick one-shot lesson.

Sometimes you just need another short dose of something to get you going again, vs. trying to boil the ocean of Chord Tones etc.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from What are you struggling with?:

I’m trying to learn Crazy little thing called love. I have the first half of the song but can’t seem to get the second half down. Any tips. I have a book of 200 songs for bass in notes and tabs. Any tips. I love the course. I’m halfway thru it. Some days I get home from work and just tired or my hands are hurting.
P.s I finally got Rock and Roll all nite down by Kiss. (Favorite band). It’s a fun song to play

1. List item

Slow it down until you can get it then practice at that speed until you can play it with no problems then speed it up until you start to struggle and then stay at that speed until it’s no problem then wash, rinse and repeat until you’re at full speed and looking like a rock star.

2 Likes

Thank you

I have an issue with Herbie, on the E string. When I pluck it, there’s a rattle on the saddle on the bridge. If I touch the string behind the saddle the rattle goes away.

Any idea how to fix?

It’s not fret buzz, it’s a rattle against the saddle.

2 Likes

Have you tried the string lube? My problem usually at the nut end, the string lube(gel) solved my problem.

2 Likes

Through the lessons, I’ve learned that there’s a difference between just playing a song, and playing it well (Currently entering Module 4).

Even in a song as simple as With or Without You by U2. I caught myself the other night off-sync with the song due to inconsistent plucking especially when crossing from the A to E string (there’s a brief pause in between plucking those notes even if I anchor my thumb on the pickup).

I realized that I wasn’t raking across to the E from the A string and I’m now trying to take my brain out of the bad habit to play more seamlessly!

Crazy how even the simplest of songs can test and teach you new skills/habits.

1 Like

Thanks, I think that worked

3 Likes

I get this on various basses from time to time, but it is never picked up by the pickups so I don’t care really.

2 Likes

To my ear, it was picked up as a harmonic on the string which went away if I let the note ring. But even without that, the buzzing drives me crazy, not that it takes much to do that.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this is a sign I should start learning to actually use reaper and not insist on single taking something :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

it’s never even occurred to me to want to simgle-take while recording :rofl:

Like I literally cannot think of anything less productive for my workflow. Insistence on single take recording is so completely alien to how I like to work, there’s just no way

1 Like

I mean I was trying to be lazy and not have to learn how to splice tracks. As the saying goes the lazy man works twice as hard.

2 Likes

Next up, the Sentient is fine but the Nazgul feet have these weird raised indents that makes it so super glue won’t work to glue on the repair nuts, will probably need to goop it up with epoxy.

Or just sell them. This is getting silly.

1 Like

Since completing the course I have run into a dilemma where I can’t learn full songs for some reason.

I asked r/bass for easy ones to work on and I’m not sure about them either, I’ll copypaste what I said there:

"Hey, I finished the bassbuzz beginner to badass course and I’m looking for easy kinda songs to boost my confidence a little more that isn’t seven nation army.

I don’t mind a little challenge though, I tried learning The Chain from the course extras and the 16th note subdivisions and slides are driving me insane (I’m working on it tho)

I am a big fan of bands like King Crimson, Black Sabbath, Metallica, and Pantera if that helps

Thanks dudes!

Edit: I’m seeing y’alls suggestions and I really appreciate them!
I think I’ll have to go through the bassbuzz course again to truly grasp everything and then force myself to work through full songs as I can’t get myself to do it for some reason. (If you have any tips for that, please let me know!)"

As I said in the post; I think the solution would be to go back through beginner to badass and really pick on everything I missed (Yes. I did miss some stuff, so not 100% completed. Apologies lol.)

Then I may stand a chance, I don’t wanna say there’s an invisible force stopping me from learning whole songs… But it kinda feels like it not gonna lie.

1 Like