What are you struggling with?

it does, thank you

3 Likes

I’ve been playing sitting down (I’m on module 5) because I’m awaiting Achilles surgery and standing hurts. I just tried standing and I couldn’t see the front of the bass- I’ve been tilting it a little upward when sitting so I can see what I’m doing. Is that bad? EDIT- I think I just figured out that this tilting might be why I’m having trouble with muting the notes a la my last question.

3 Likes

Ummm. I am about 1.5mm. I would not be able to play my bass if it was 4mm gap. Unless you are talking about the top of the E string? It is more important what the Gap is, and I shoot for between 1.5 and 2mm tops

1 Like

Of course I notice this thread when hitting the Billie Jean module (which I have read a lot about on the forum)! I was having trouble resetting for the top of the next bar and getting my pinky finger scooted over a string fast enough. I went back and watched the lesson and just watched without playing and noticed that I was using the ring finger for the 4th fret of the A string on the first transition, but then going back to the pinky on the and beat of 3. I now see that the 4th fret of the A string always gets the ring finger. I don’t have enough control over my pinky yet to pick it up and re-place it that quickly. And all of this is still at sub-slow tempo.

2 Likes

So I pulled out the ruler and the Allen wrenches, and adjusted things a bit. From the top of the fret wire to the bottom of the strings is now around 1.5mm (a hair higher on D and G as I was getting some fret buzz). That, along with putting on some new strings to replace the ones Squier put on at the factory, and wow, what a difference

4 Likes

I am currently working on Billie Jean as well and just noticed to practice in chunks help a lot. Try playing it for 15 minutes, taking a break, comming back later and do another 15 minutes and I can see good im provement with each training session.
As @juli0r said, sometimes the pinky just has enough, sometimes the shoulder and sometimes the biceps just from holding up the arm :smiley:

2 Likes

Awesome @jerichodog2k. I am glad that made a difference for you. Should help you progress thru the course and anything else much smoother. I am not sure I’d I ever saw a set up that high from the factory (or retail chain, or private party) as high as 4mm before, I think 2.5 up to 3. As is about what I have dealt with before.

And I am surprised at some of the used Basses I have checked out from private parties. One I bought was set up beautifully, about 2mm on the B string Down to 1.5 on the G. The rest are set around 2.5 to 3 on the E, and 2.25 to 2.5 on the G.
I find these are Basses people are selling because they “don’t have time to play anymore”, but I wonder how many people pick out a bass ( thinking it easier to learn then guitar), take it home, play it, learn some bass lines, take some lessons, and give up cuz it’s too hard.
And I wonder how much of that s because of the factory set “Action” was just way too high to expect to be playable? I wonder if the person knew that they could maki life so much easier with a simple set up, if they would have continued to play if only the sales clerk, or the instructor, or anybody would have told them they can get a “set up” that will make the playability if the bass so much greater?

I mean, I got a great deal on their bass because of it, but, bummer for them they never knew, or never found @JoshFossgreen and BassBuzz

—Keep That in mind when setting action, the low E and B will settle in higher then the D and G string. I shoot for 1.75 - 2mm for the Low, and 1.5 for the high
—I actually like my action as low as I can get it, but the measurements only get you close. Playing it will let you know if you can go further, or if you went too far. Plus, the bass, after an adjustment can take time to “settle”, and you may find that the D string, when playing an A (7th fret” you get a little buzz, and the string sounds a lil dead. So you need to do a 1/2 turn on each set screw in the bridge to raise the string a lil. See if it’s enuf, if not, another 1/4 to 1/2 turn til it rings true again. I have had to do it on the same string up to 3 times over the course of the week after the set up.
—of course, if you don’t like to have to do that, you can always just set them on the upper side of the recommended gap. The scale I has actually says 2-2.5 for E and 1.5-2 for E
I just like mine as low as possible, but if you use that rule above, you may not need to adjust as it settles.

4 Likes

One last thing @jerichodog2k.
Did you check intonation?
With the set up that high, you may need to adjust more, but check first.
First check the 12th fret, and see if it gets the same reading as the open string. If it does, you are close enough for my ear, possibly yours too.
If you want to go further you can check every fret, and or get a pro involved.
If the 12th fret does not match the open string. You will need to search YT for instruction.
Dan at Guns and Guitars has a good set up your bass video that goes over it at the end, and many others do to.

Hoping it’s good, or close, sounds like the person that set that up at the factory was hitting the pipe that day. :open_mouth::pleading_face::astonished::flushed::crazy_face:

3 Likes

Now that my wrist is bugging me, I’m planning to take my bass for a set up tonight or tomorrow.

5 Likes

The intonation is not bad, I may have someone check it to be sure.

So with the lowered action and the new strings I was able to get past the tough bit and finish module 3. After that I messed about with some 12 bar blues, then worked on Folsom Prison Blues. I’m almost ready on that one. Thanks all for the advice

3 Likes

That is great. Honestly, if you are holding tune by your tuner, you are probably fine. It is true it may be a little “off” by high caliber tuners that have been calibrated, but Iknow I could not tell the difference.
And the best part is that your bass is now playable, and you can continue the lessons.
Great job so far, keep up the good work👍🏻

2 Likes

Yesterday was a bad day :frowning:

I was doing the lesson regarding major scale, but on the higher octave, I think C Major it was and I felt like Gollum trying to do anything with my pinky that high on the fretboard on the E and A string. I couldnt find any comfortable position with my hand to play the scale somewhat fluently and I can’t really figure out what the real issue is.

Maybe my strap is too long?
Maybe my hand is to cramped?
Maybe my pinky to short? :sweat_smile:

I jsut noticed that the only position I could comfortably play the 15th fret on E or A is when sitting down and resting my base between the legs like this:
https://imgur.com/a/AYCglmr

but normally I prefer to play while standing so this is no long-term solution.

:sob:

5 Likes

You can have a look at this topic:

You’re not the only one with this problem :wink:

5 Likes

Here is one of the currently best bass players in the world doing just that :smile:

7 Likes

Playing in that position is fine, but if you prefer to play standing up, have you tried putting your whole left hand in front of the bass when you play high up? I mean, instead of having your thumb on the back or on the bottom, just curl it up with your hand. I found that made it, not super comfortable, but much more possible to play up there. It feels “illegal” but it’s fine.

4 Likes

That’s the position all classical guitar players use.

Also, if you live above the 15th fret routinely, you have the wrong instrument. Fender has a habit of creating a huge obstruction, called a body, at the back of the neck in that area, and pretty soon after, the instrument runs out of fretboard. Even my €20 Cort gives me a lot more room to work with…

If you take a look at Josh’s Peavey Cirrus, you’ll see how it should be done.

5 Likes

Agreed.
It’s so much easier on my 24 fret ESP than on my Ibanez Gio.

3 Likes

Spacing is no issue on my Yamaha TRBX 304, the cutout is pretty good.
As @tamaraster said, having the thumb below the neck feels a bit illegal but it works a bit better. same with trying not to use the pinky at all.
I can deal with it I think and if not, so what, I mostly play the bass to enjoy those deep rumbly notes anyways :smiley:

5 Likes

I thought so too until Josh suggested it. I don’t think he would if it’s cutting corners or will become a hindrance to your technique.

3 Likes

He paid for those frets and he will use them, darn it! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think that there is anything illegal to put the bass in this position while standing up. You can make this change for the songs that need those frets and then go back to horizantal position…

Just be careful not to hit the drums or the drummer!

6 Likes