What are your 5 most "important" albums?

Ooh that’s a good one. Nevermind would also be a good one for the NW music scene at large as it changed everything, but I was already well on my path by then. And Bleach is a better album too.

6 Likes

There are so many albums I could list but these are the albums and artists that introduced me to genres that probably influenced me the most in my life.

Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops - Blue Danube
Time Life Records The Swing Era
Canadian Brass - Royal Fanfare
Beastie Boys -Licenced to Ill
Miles Davis - Kind of blue
I’m sneaking in a 6th… Future Shock by Herbie Hancock :stuck_out_tongue: I remember watching the Grammys and seeing him perform Rockit and it was just so amazing, esp for the time!

Honourable mention to most albums from ACDC and the Beach Boys :slight_smile:

I still remember going to a Canadian Brass Christmas concert with my father when I was young… my eyeballs are getting a little wet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fantastic album - my Kate #2 fave album for sure.

4 Likes

I feel like I should have added “The entire 4AD catalog, 1980-1992” as an honorable mention. I did get their house band covering another one of their bands in there though, which is close.

3 Likes

agreed - that underworld album was on my slightly longer list as well. DAMN THESE RULES.

now that im thinking more, i think it would need to be ‘100 days off’ on my list. that was a more important album to me at the time i heard it.

3 Likes

I am real close to swapping out one of mine for The Cure’s “Standing on a Beach/Staring at the Sea”. The question is which one. All of those on the list changed my appreciation and started me on a path. But so did The Cure.

yeah, sorry Public Enemy. You absolutely altered and helped shape my world view but The Cure is closer to home for who I am.

3 Likes

Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops Swan Lake almost made my list.

3 Likes

I started writing more hip-hop groups as honourable mentions but there were so many that I just deleted them :laughing:

2 Likes

Sgt Pepper - Beatles
Texas Flood - SRV
Still Alive and Well - Johnny Winter
Greetings From Asbury Park - Springsteen
Alive - Kiss

If you know these five albums you already know waay too much about me.

6 Likes

Yeah NWA was up there too but I resonated more with Chuck D than Eazy E at the time.

4 Likes

hard to answer, but being half drunk I guess it could help :joy:

• Made Out Of Babies - Trophy
  • Guns’n’Roses - Appetite For Destruction
  • AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
  • Marilyn Manson - Portrait Of An American Family
  • Roy Buchanan - Live Stock
10 Likes

Man, I remember watching this episode of Miami Vice and that song just gave me chills!

5 Likes

Another (maybe more distant) runner up I missed would be Liz Phair’s Exile in Guyville. It was an album I needed to hear. Definitely changed me in a way I needed to change.

3 Likes

Nevermind was my original choice - it literally stopped me dead in my tracks - but when I heard Bleach soon afterwards, its rawness gave me a deeper appreciation for their music. And then there was the time some bros were playing Bleach and waiting for me to mistake it for Nevermind. The looks on their faces when I said, “ooooh, you’re listening to Bleach! I like this one better than Nevermind” - priceless! :rofl: #dontunderestimateme #f*ckers

4 Likes

Yeah, there was a period of time where Bleach was like a litmus test. It’s been used on me more than once. Ugly bro hipsterism (before even hipsters were a thing, rofl). but it is what it is.

Regardless, Bleach is their best album :rofl:

3 Likes

80s rap/hip hop is such a rabbit hole! You can go back to the originators of the style and some of the jazz/funk stuff they sampled and you can go forward into the groups/artists they spawned. Some great history in there :slight_smile:

There were a lot of crossovers like KRS One - blondie, Run DMC - Aerosmith and Malcolm McLaren - Eminem that helped bring the genre to the main stream. MF DOOM sampled so much great stuff, it’s like every song is full of Easter eggs :smiley: It took me a surprisingly long time to realize that the beginning of “One Beer” was based on “I get a kick out of you” lol

3 Likes

Brothers in Arms reminds me of a good mate of mine who is no longer with us and who had my back in many dodgy situations for 12 hard years.
Sort of brings out a sadness in my heart

8 Likes

Totally. Grandmaster Flash, Mellie Mel, lots of great really early stuff that was almost crossover on its own.

Public Enemy was the first to really change me though, with NWA being sort of the coup de grace. PE had really intelligent reasoning and lyrics, and NWA were street kids telling the truth. Both were compelling.

Dre’s original term “Reality Rap” was spot on.

4 Likes

Okay,here goes.

Back in Black AC/DC
Highway to Hell AC/DC
Live and Dangerous Thin Lizzy
Ace of Spades. Motörhead
Live in the heart of the city. Whitesnake

The list could go on and on

6 Likes

If only you liked one, certain type of music. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes