What are your 5 most "important" albums?

Definitely! Like Africa Bambaadaa. I love that there’s so many similar names too: furious five, fearless four, funky four plus one, treacherous three, lol

Yep, PE, Run DMC and Eazy E definitely had a big impact on me. Late 80s and early 90s were a great time for that music… I think music was a lot less generic back then.

So much good stuff back then… this is why I never get stuff done on the weekend lol. I start listening to J Dilla, then I’m listening to Questlove, then I’m checking out stuff they sampled… and now I’m listening to Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick… and then the day is gone lol

Sort of off on a tangent but this is one of my favourite DJ routines every https://youtu.be/44F0d2CbjM0

Also, I had a similar challenge with SoCal punk. A ton of “almost made the list”; definitely Social Distortion at minimum.

1 Like

Most ‘important’? Let’s see:

Led Zeppelin IV
Rush, 2112
Metallica, …And Justice For All
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, Live (1978)
Alice Cooper, School’s Out

It’s really hard to limit it to five.

7 Likes

Hmmm! interesting choices so far, I like a lot of albums but turns out the one that I like are mostly bass inspired album.

Micheal Jackson-Bad
Phil Collins-…But seriously
Jaco Pastorius-Self title
Beatle-Sgt Pepper
Cassiopeia-Galactic Funk

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Oh I missed The Eagles and Phil Collins :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I saw Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush in the late 70s he put on a good show

1 Like

I think I didn’t list Sgt Pepper because my sisters loved the Beatles and I was opposed to anything they listened to. They had the album with all of the pieces, the glasses, masks, and all the decorations that came with it. It’s worth money if they still have it

3 Likes

I just realized Abbey Road should be the white album.

My friend had Magical Mystery Tour, which got me into the Beatles, then I went out and bought the White Album, stoopidly thinking it was a greatest hits. Man was I in for a (number 9) shock (number 9).

Ya, it’s this and not Abbey Road.

3 Likes

This was a joke for @howard. This is the revised final list.

Eagles - Hotel California
Eagles - Desperado
Eagles - One of These Nights
Eagles - Eagles
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (a seismic shift in my listening habits after someone lent me this album)

6 Likes

We played a lot of songs from Sgt Ppr, it’s very good and well thought out album, imo.

2 Likes

It is, have you heard Cheap Trick’s cover of the album? People called them Beatle wannabes their whole career, so on one of their anniversaries, they performed the whole album live.

One of the concerts I would go to if I had a way back machine is a few days after they release Sgt Peppers, Hendrix performed it. That would have been something to see (and Sir Paul was in the audience)

3 Likes

Here it is, all are for very subjective reasons. I had a lot of fun narrowing this down. Listed in order of discovery:

1. Flesh & Blood - Poison
  2. Vs. - Pearl Jam
  3. Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan
  4. OK Computer - Radiohead
  5. Grace Under Pressure - Rush
3 Likes

Completely forgot about this, I remember listening to it over and over with a good friend. I did not however, forget about the Eagles – no escape there, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave

2 Likes

That’s funny. I don’t see the Beatles writing “Dream Police” or “Surrender”.

I think of Cheap Trick as rock’s version of The Replacements :rofl:

And once you make that connection it is hard to unhear, so apologies there.

3 Likes

In no particular order,

• Black Sabbath - Sabotage 1975
  • Concrete Blonde - Recollection 1996
  • Yes - Live in Montreux 2003
  • Steve Miller Band - Live in Chicago 2007
  • The Eagles Hell freezes over 1994

Other notable’s

Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged 1996
U2 - Joshua Tree 1987
Tears for fears - Songs from the big chair 1985
Glen Frey -Solo collection 1995

8 Likes

Nice to see you back around Brian!! @TNKA36

3 Likes

Hmmm, here are mine

Stevie Wonder - Songs From the Key of Life
Prince - Emancipation
The Beatles - Abbey Road
David Bowie - Pin Ups
The Clash - London Calling

7 Likes

Also on my honorable mentions list, Brian, as is:
Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me - The Cure (this one was my Cure choice, @howard mostly because of Just Like Heaven and The Perfect Girl)
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Ghost in the Machine - The Police
Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles (important, @John_E because when I was twelve, my mother bought it for me to introduce me to the Beatles. I think she had had enough of Prince and Darling Nikki :smiley: )

5 Likes

Excellent choice :slight_smile:

Just Like Heaven is a really, really bittersweet song for me. Lots of emotion around some specific memories of a specific person for that one. My bandmate is also my best friend and was there at the time and saw it all happen, so of course we had to cover it :slight_smile:

2 Likes