What are your practice bits? - Share your knowledge

I did a search but did not find antyhing exactly like this.

The intent of this thread is to share any good practice elements (not routines, or how often or classes, etc).

For example

• maj/min/pent/blues scales around circle of 4ths
  • Ghost note excercises by Rich Brown (BrownStone on YouTube)
  • Pinky strentghening exercise by Mark Smith
    etc.

I have seen these posted around here and there but not in one thread.

So, if you find something to work on which may be useful to others, please post it here so others can find easily and give it a try.

(if there is a thread already and I missed it, please let me know.)

4 Likes

This is my one finger per fret stuff:

2 Likes

Also made a pdf of Rich Brown’s 16th note metronome exercises a while back. I’ve attached it, if it’s not allowed then let me know.

16th note exercises.pdf (69.6 KB)

2 Likes

The spider walk is great, yeah. I do that too.

2 Likes

I have really grown to love his videos and exercises.

1 Like

Depending on where a person is in the bass learning process…

Doing the cycle of 4ths exercise that Mark Smith teaches is a great way to learn where all the notes are on the fretboard. This is how I managed to master my fretboard.

Also from Mark, the “root / octave” exercise up and down the fretboard using the index and pinky is a great way to build strength in the pinky, and overal dexterity.

3 Likes

I do a very simple arpeggio warmup.
Start on F# on E string, and play maj arpeggios up the strings.
When you get to B on the G string, move your pinky up one fret and do arpeggios backwards back down, then move your index up one fret on G, etc etc. up the neck.
Start very slow, play perfectly, then increase speed with a tempo.
Repeat with minor triads (starting on F vs. F#)

Good warmup.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to these?

2 Likes

It was in one of his courses or one of his videos. I don’t recall but if I think of it I’ll post it.

1 Like

2nd the Rich Brown exercises. Im enjoying them…albeit very slowly!!

2 Likes

I don’t spend a lot of time on this stuff, i prefer playing song so i mostly do this stuff when i don’t have a lot of time to play:

• scales starting on 1st, 2nd, 4th fingers
  • arpeggios in a key chord progression using maj7, V7, min7, min7b5
  • intervals
  • modes exercises from Rich Brown’s “mastering the modes” course.
  • improvising over drone notes/chords.

I have a superego+ pedal that i like for playing scales and arpeggios over a drone note but i often don’t want to waste time screwing around with it. :smiley:

I don’t think of notes by names, i think of shapes and sounds so i really only care what note i’m starting on and the intervals.

2 Likes

I’m the same, I go to a scale and then think in terms of scale intervals. Even on keyboard as well, for that matter, where the note is immediately and obviously apparent. The actual note name/value is irrelevant; all that really matters are the intervals.

2 Likes

I go up and down the fretboard in broken intervals starting with the 2nd and ending with the octave, playing them harmonically then melodically. It’s an ear training exercise so that I can better internalise the sound of intervals. It’s also a great scale listening exercise because when I occasionally play a bum note it’s obvious that it’s not in the scale. The starting and ending note of each interval is always within the scale, in this case, B major.

This is just a quick diagram I’ve produced going up the fretboard starting on B as the root. I first play the major 3rd(M3) both melodically and harmonically from B to D#. Then play the minor 3rd(m3) from C# to E. And so on, and then go back down. Then I do the 4ths, 5ths, etc.

a

1 Like

Yes, that’s how it should be. The scale degrees are more important than the note names and are essential for remembering and processing the scales. For example in the modes.

Almost like how most people manage to sing songs without knowing notes or any theory :wink:

1 Like

Yep :slight_smile:

No idea how I am just finding Nik West’s YouTube…

This is a fun little lesson/riff if you all feel like getting funky.

1 Like

She’s great when she turns up on other people’s channels too.

Ya, I have been searching out all things funk.
Need more funk in my bass, and she eats funk for breakfast.