What Bass amp should I buy?

Im want to Play with one of my my guitarist and my Drummer . I really need a need Bass amp because my current one has only 25watts. What Bass amp would you recommend for me. We mostly Play hard(stoner) Rock and Sometimes Metal. I dont have a specific Bass Tone in my head, beacause i still trying to find my one , But I Like the Bass Tone of Nick oliveri of quuens of the Stone age and Paul Gray(Most influence) of Slipknot

1 Like

Stoner rock is mostly about Ampeg. Orange might be a valid alternative. If you want to crank it up, go with a 4x10 cab :grin:

And definitely go for a P-bass :innocent:

4 Likes

Whatever you buy, look for it used. I would recommend something like a Fender Rumble 500 or 800. You are going to need big wattage to move air to be heard over a stoner, metal or hard rock drummer.

1 Like

Yeah, P-Bass for sure. The original sounds of metal were done on a P-Bass (Geezer, Steve Harris, etc…)

2 Likes

Here’s an interview of Nick Oliveri where he’s talking about his gear:

1 Like

To gig with an bass amp I would go for at least 100 watts or higher.

According to Equipboard Nick plays a P while Paul goes with J/J configuration on his Warwick. I like them both, but I personally prefer my J for metal. Also don’t worry too much about the bass and amp if you gonna use fuzz/distortion pedals.

Also proof that J work with metal. Jean-Michel Labadie from Gojira plays a J in this clip. He also plays the P bass in other songs. Amazing bass player.

https://youtu.be/8DiWzvE52ZY

We got lots of threads about bass amps. Would recommend to check them out. Good luck!

2 Likes

Or a Jazz (Zeppelin, Priest)

4 Likes

100W might be okay if you’re going for the Ampeg V4B. I’m not sure it would be enough using a solid state amp. It would depend on the guitar player’s gear.

1 Like

Or a StingRay. They would all work well. Put distortion on them and my 54P would work.

Yeah, I just posted a video the other day of a Stingray in a new metal band. I see a lot of Stingrays and Jazz basses these days in young metal bands these days

1 Like

Maybe more on the drummer. I found this video informative. 100W seems to work, for solid state I would personally look at 500W or higher. Like Kretsch said it really depends on the other players.

Oh yes.

A lot of post-metal seems to use J’s. I was kind of surprised.

2 Likes