What do I buy...Amp

Ok when I bought my guitar second hand it came with a old rumble 15 furry one…and i dont like the sound…it also hums loudly.
I can buy second hand either a fender rumble 40 much newer and as reviewed by Josh for Aud250 or a Rumble 75 in very good condition for Aud200… just want a good sound as I learn I guess. I should add size and carrying around is not a problem… and I am leaning towards the 75, my question is , is there a reason why I wouldn’t go for the 75 if size and potential volume are not issues as I have plenty of space and no looking to lug it around to gigs etc…

4 Likes

The speaker size is important too for low level practice. A 10" speaker won’t need much power/level to sound OK, but a 15" will need to move way more air. I myself own a 220w Ampeg with a 15" speaker, it’s not ideal for practicing :slight_smile:

If you can see the two amp and test them, it would certainly be the better way to figure out which one is the best for you !

4 Likes

The Rumble 75 is now discontinued, @kiwiliveshere, but you might find a used one. I have a Rumble 100 myself, and would heartily recommend it. 100 watts, 12" speaker, weighs 22lbs and is easy to use, store and transport . . . can use for practice and for small gigs :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Thanks joe…yes i have found a 75 and i appreciate your comments which reinforce my thoughts i like the fact i can plug in some music to play along with as well.

3 Likes

Thank you…appreciate your assistance…checked the 75 interestingly it has 12 inch speaker so should be ok I think

3 Likes

That used Rumble 75 sounds like an excellent choice as long as it works fine. If I knew then what I know now, for my first practice amp I would definitely have gone used myself. YMMV.

1 Like

Thanks mate…I have decided to get the 75 it has been a one owner practice amp…like New to look at…just got to drive down the road like we say in Western Australia 600km and pick it up now. Old boy here whats ymmv

2 Likes

Ah! sorry, slang abbreviation for “your mileage may vary.”

2 Likes

Not to discourage you from upgrading your amp @kiwiliveshere, but are you sure the hum isn’t caused by poor shielding or grounding in your bass? Have you tried it with other amps?

1 Like

No problem and yes I am going to have the guitar looked at as well…i intended to upgrade anyway sooner or later…just being sooner now…cheers

2 Likes

@terb Dang! I hadn’t thought about this. It seems so obvious now. Thanks.

2 Likes

I am also a mobile DJ, in my spare time, along with my other hobbies.
I have pro level gear, and have still found Hum to occur. In my case I usually carry a simple Hum eliminator device with my gear, https://tinyurl.com/y5cbf24k it has worked for me, but it seems to attenuate the signal a lot, so as long as you have a strong enough amp in line to boost the reduced audio signal, it works well, at least it has for me.

Hum is often induced by the electrical circuit, (the outlet your plugged into) This can be caused by poor grounding or EMI (electromagnetic interference) I also build circuit boards for my own electrical hobbies, kinda a self-taught electrical engineer, so I won’t bore you with the details but if the hum is caused by the circuit, you can try two things.

1. plug all of your equipment into the same mains outlet, (you can use a multi-plug to chain stuff together) but all on the same circuit can help, many time hum is caused due to ground issues, and if you are connecting multiple devices in an audio chain into different outlets it can occur) So be it, an amp, eq, mixer etc… plug them all into the same outlet.

2. you can try using something like this https://tinyurl.com/y4nc6m2x to plug into the main and then plug your gear into it… I do not own one of these, but from what I have read, some people say it helps and there rated quite highly on amazon.

1 Like