What does it take to be a good hard rock/metal bassist?

this thread might become my practice log… unless that’s considered spam (let me know if it is)

im currently doing the 50 songs and im still trying to figure out a method to record cleaning, i may have to check out those masterclasses.

im skipping all the songs im not interested in, so it’d be the 45-or-something song challenge haha (i can’t stand country, sorry)

now, about THE METAL:

i got thinking about the playing of cliff burton, and how i can get a similar style (i understand to be even CLOSE to cliff you gotta be very good. i just don’t know how.)
i tried learning his solos and got discouraged, am i going about this wrong?

1 Like

I can play the first few bars of Anesthesia (pulling teeth) albeit slowly

this solo is gonna take a while but it’ll be worth it, showed my progress so far to my dad and he was very impressed.

Yes!
Cliffy was a huge inspiration for me too.

Ha! That’s exactly how I did it, discouragement and all!

When I started out, I also had no idea what lines he was playing some of the time. It’s all hard - bass is hard, music is hard.
It takes a hellova lot of time to be able to pull off the crazy solo stuff.
But the first couple of parts of Anesthesia are playable and really satisfying, so I say go for it.

The intro to For Whom The Bell Tolls is also playable.

I’d recommend the mid-tempo jams like Seek and Destroy or The Thing That Should Not Be.
Also… you’ll need a big distortion pedal.
Check out this isolated bass track from The Thing That Should Not Be!

And when you’re not trying to play Cliff lines, just practice bass. Play tons, play everything you can get your hands on.

3 Likes

what a great point. not everything is clean jazz. lemmy probably never muted :rofl:

2 Likes

yeah… all respect to lemmy, but his playing is pretty muddy. he probably didn’t care lol

2 Likes

such a monstrous tone.

do you know where i can find solid tabs and sheet music for seek and TTTSNB? are the songsterr ones good enough?

2 Likes

He does some really interesting stuff in The Thing That Should Not Be, don’t think I ever sat and listened to the isolated bass on this one. Loved it, thanks for sharing!

Although, I will say I prefer listening to isolated bass + drum tracks, as then it becomes a bit more clear (to me) why he made certain choices in what he was playing and the rhythm he was playing at… like looking for the parts where he’s following the drums but at others following the guitars. I know a lot of people bag on Lars, but he and Cliff were an awesome rhythm section together! Anyways, sorry for the long ramble, I’ve been studying him and Metallica quite a bit recently from a compositional viewpoint for a little project my guitarist friend and I have going.

Totally… I love it.

I would say the tabs on songsterr and ultimate guitar are “good enough” for playing the song, at least enough to get by in a performance or jam session. Unlikely many of them will be album perfect, but honestly, I wouldn’t worry about that too much, at least early in the journey. Just play and practice.

2 Likes

Totally +1 to everything in the post @Gio but this stands out. When I try to play difficult / fast pieces I have to kind of distance myself from the music to stay relaxed, but then I don’t really engage with the performance. I guess it’s a balancing act - engaging but staying detatched. Very zen :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you don’t use Rocksmith or Tonelib Jam, here is how to extract the Guitar Pro tabs:

1 Like