What going on with hofner stuff

im thinking about picking up a Davie 504 sig and the chowny pitch craft octave pedal and im interested if there’s any other basses or pedals you would recommend that are similar to these

3 Likes

The Davie504 signature bass seems to be one of Chowny’s clones of a MusicMan Stingray. @T_dub would be a helpful voice on this question.

The latest darling for Octave pedals is the Boss OC-5 but a lot of people swear by the Electro-Harmonix POG. Both of which cost considerably more than the Pitchcraft. I’ve never used or heard of the Pitchcraft so it’s hard to give a good recommendation for something in the same range.

If you’re just getting into pedals then you could get a Zoom B1-Four multi-effects pedal for not much more money and a ton more functionality.

I don’t really understand the thread title about Hofner stuff. I would need you to be more specific about what your interested in and I’m sure someone here can either give or find an answer.

4 Likes

I finally got my OC-5 @eric.kiser … love!

3 Likes

@John_E Cool. I’m more than a little jealous.

I haven’t even had a chance to use mine since I posted asking how other people use theirs. I was out of town for almost a month. Now that I’m back home, my amp is at my son’s house and my DAI hasn’t come in. So, I’m sitting here with no way to even use it.

1 Like

look at Darkglass - Hyper Luminal for compressor, Harmonic Booster for real tone shaping and the Element for an incredible Headphone amp

2 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

Holy smokes! That’s $750+ worth of pedals!

They’re all great pedals… but that’s about 10x the price of a Chowny Pitchcraft Octave pedal and more than the entire budget @Gnockylefty was looking at for the bass and pedal.

1 Like

Welp, if @Gnockylefty comes back wondering what the deal with Hofners is, I have some experience:

• The Hofner bass is a true hollow-body bass. They are very honest about this from the moment you touch one. Picking one up is like holding a violin.
  • You can get them in lower-priced Ignition models, mid-range Contemporay, or go all-in on on a German-built custom.
  • The Ignitions have (im)famously crummy sustain. But you might see that as a feature, so get an Ignition if that’s appealing, because the Contemporaries will hold a note better.
  • They have a floating bridge and you will see thousands upon thousands of forum threads centered around griping over a little piece of hardware being a huge hassle to keep track of should you ever take the strings off. Don’t let that deter you if you really want a Hofner bass. It’s not a big deal. :slight_smile:
4 Likes

What going on with this thread?

It’s like oh look a squirrel all over the ooh that’s shiny place.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Haha, thanks for putting some juicy beef into this thread :grinning:

Probably not going for one of those anytime soon, though :wink:

2 Likes

I was going to respond similarly since I own/play a Hofner, until I read the OPs initial post. The title of the thread is deceptive, and I don’t what he is really asking.

2 Likes

The key is don’t ever take all the strings off at once if you have a floating bridge, leave at least two on at a time to hold the bridge in place.

2 Likes

I learned this the hard way on the Gretsch. I didn’t realize it had a floating bridge.

After a bit of panic and guesstimating from interweb images it didn’t take too much effort to find a spot it worked in.

Other than being in line with the stings, all you really care about is that you can intimate all the strings in the spot it sits in.

3 Likes

All hollow bodies have a floating bridge, since there’s no way to fasten the bridge. Semi-Hollows are a different story, since they have that wooden spine running down the center of the body.

1 Like