What is Rick-o-Sound (for the Rick players)

Worth a quick read. Anybody here with a Rick tried out the stereo option by the way?

Chris Squire "The reason why I did that was not because I wanted to play in stereo, it was because I wanted to route certain effects, not through both pickups. So that, when I use the bass pickup, for instance, I only use the Fuzztone on the bass pickup — it wouldn’t sound good with the treble pickup.”

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/rickenbacker-what-is-rick-o-sound/

2 Likes

I read this yesterday, was a very good read.
Rick is on my list for next year. Guess I need two amps now too!

3 Likes

I got that email too - but haven’t had a chance to read it. I want to Ric too, but not sure if the neck width (especially at the nut) isn’t gonna be too big for my liking. There is a place in Houston who sells Rics (Fuller Vintage Guitar); I need to go down there and test drive one.

2 Likes

They absolutely seem like one of the most extreme cases of a “try before you buy” bass.

5 Likes

+1. and i used to have a rick when i was a kid. hadn’t picked one up in decades but lusted for one, until i tried one a short time ago. and kinda hated it.

3 Likes

I have one but never tried the RickoSound output. Never really had the inclination to either.
They certainly do fall into the love or hate category reading articles about them.
I do love mine.
On the heavy side but the sound is so unique it’s worth it. Great to play especially if you prefer the fatter neck

3 Likes

Like most people I have wanted one for the looks and sound, but have never tried one, and what I hear about both the weight and the funky bridge makes me think I would have to really truly love the thing to shell out for one.

3 Likes

Looks like Hipshot has at least fixed the bridge:

probably kills the value of the thing to install that though.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about the bridge and might be tempted down the line. The dreaded tail lift is really negligible on mine and I’ve strung it with flat wounds to ease the tension too.
As for the value to be honest I would rather have a bass that’s what I want than worry about future resale value. Hence the addition of the Lemmy signature pickups for mine hopefully soon if Seymour Duncan ever pull their fingers out of their ***** and finish the order!
I’m thinking you might be able to retrofit the original stuff if you save it?

3 Likes

A few turns of a screwdriver and the bass is back to normal.

4 Likes

i have heard the modding the bridge thing has been sort of unnecessary on the more modern bridge design. no i don’t know what year they updated it :laughing:

4 Likes

Yeah - this might just be a notorious thing for older Ricks, no idea.

2 Likes

I think it’s certainly a 4001 / early 4003 thing if I’ve read correctly.

2 Likes

Oh yeah - they’re great basses but they’ve definitely got their quirks

1 Like

Same here but I’m thinking of upgrading my trusty Fender 25 W and this could be a good opportunity :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I think they upgraded it in 2019. I’ve had no problems with my 2020 although the mute is a pain to use - I don’t touch it.

1 Like

Hey could you do a before and after video? Love to hear the difference :+1:

1 Like

I certainly will @Ed if they ever get here. Not that I’m getting impatient or anything lol

1 Like

Latest in the short histories series from the excellent Keith Williams. Up this week is the history of the Rickenbacker Bass. I’ve no interest in owning one, but I love all his short histories series.

4 Likes