What is the Minimum Amount of Music Theory A New Bass Player Really Needs?

As a good friend of mine says:
Everything I say or do will offend someone…too bad.
You have all been warned. :joy:

Yeah, well I’m not offended, and I think that statement to excuse behavior silly. You can have discourse in a civil manner without being offensive.

1 Like

I was joking btw

1 Like

No worries, and besides everything I say or do will offend someone…too bad.
You have all been warned.

Hey I’ve already used your saying twice.
Make that three times.

This forum has no place for the kind of nonsense I went through with @Bassdacious.

I guess you could say I’m too sensitive to reactions like that but it did help me develop a thicker skin as a Bass player. And now armed with that saying of yours I’m all set.

I saw what I consider a sexist comment and I called it out, in what I thought was a fairly respectful way.

I wasn’t trying to offend you, just calling it as I see it - after all, sometimes people don’t understand how their language impacts some sections of the community!

You also chose to ignore the good things I said about you.

For the record, the “nonsense” you refer to serves to reinforce gender stereotypes about women’s role as primary caregiver, which has historically (and currently) been very limiting in terms of a woman’s place in society (I can share some academic information with you on this, if it is of interest).

Finally, if you don’t agree with what I am saying then you don’t need to trivialize my comments, just ignore it or disagree politely and move on, like I’ll be doing.

3 Likes

FWIW I agreed with you. I know quite a few women that would bristle at the assumption that they would be more receptive to that song than men because of raising kids.

I also didn’t think there was any malice in what @Celticstar said, at all - and of course it’s totally possible to be accidentally sexist without realizing it. Happens all the time.

What is unfortunate would be continuing to double down on it.

What nonsense? I think their response was completely appropriate if that’s how they felt about something someone said.

What this forum doesn’t have any place for is ongoing debate about stuff like this.

So, can we all just drop this and move on please?

3 Likes

+1 on this.

2 Likes

Right, we should go back to flats vs. rounds.

And…discuss…

3 Likes

IDK why people are SO over-sensitive around the topic.

It’s a comment about the caritative effort @Celticstar s doing and he’s approaching it.
Nobody is neglecting women’s role in society or anything in that regard.

I’ll just talk about myself here, but I felt really uncomfortable reading about these topics.

In the future, let’s try to keep the threads on topic and, if there’s something else like this, please reach each other in private.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Hail Mingus lol

1 Like

you just know the Emperor of Mongo rocks a Bongo

1 Like

Back to topic then. XD

I’m basically still a beginner. I’m on module 10 of Josh’s course.

And I personally found the major minor patterns. Chord progression and the chord tones. (Basically just 1,3,5 [obviously there more]) plus Nashville numbers. Very helpful when it comes to music theory and playing bass. Because it really made me understand in what I played and how a Bassline was put together.

Also reading rhythms (like in mixed TABs) I consider very helpful. (It’s more convenient to learn by sheet for me than to learn by ear.)

From there you probably have to consider what the individual wants to know.

1 Like

This is an interesting discussion. Now I know what fourths, fifths, and octaves are. And during my in person lessons, my instructor played on the piano and I had to call out what it was - root, fourth etc.

But when he played a chord I knew what the next one should be because it’s what made sense by ear. Now I can put a name to it but this is stuff I knew without any theory education.

And today I see Beato dropped a 5 must knows musical theory vid, which will either be relevant or a rant if the past is a predictor.

By 1,3,5 I take it you are talking about Major diatonic/triad chord structures and not chord progressions.

Oh there are definitely a lot more :slightly_smiling_face:

I was just asked by several people about how to construct Sus 2, Sus4 and 5 chords (also known as power chords) from Major triad chords. Now they want a chart. Since they already understood Major triad chord construction (1,3,5) it was an easy teaching session.

If your interested I can post the chart here in a day or so.
Let me know.

Oh by the way, congadulations on reaching Level 10 of B2B.

This is an interesting look at what it means when a lot of people say that you don’t need theory :slight_smile:

You Don’t Need Music Theory - 12tone

It even mentions the Happy Birthday song :grinning:

Charts are just the worst… people need to stop trying to memorize things like that and instead understand what’s going on with the theory and recognize what the chords sound like. It’s not hard, you move the 3rd up or down or leave it out completely. Piano makes it really easy to experiment with this and see what’s going on.

Suspended Chords: The Basics + How To Write with Sus2 and Sus4 (Part 1 of 2)

1 Like

I use charts for reference and find, for me at least, they save a lot of time.

For instance someone calls for an Fsus4 chord and rather than spending time figuring out if the B is a ♯ or ♭ or natural there it is right in front of you on the chart.

I find them most useful when transcribing and composing but those are whole other ball games.

So true.

Interesting video.

All through the video he is talking about why you don’t need music theory and then in the last minute or so of the video he is plugging the Hook Music Theory course for $147.18. :roll_eyes:

Check out Billy Sheehan

Do you have a link?