What is the most fun bassline you play?

Been working on ShadowPlay by Joy Division. It’s quite a forearm workout!

2 Likes

I’ve been doing Summertime Rolls by Jane’s Addiction a lot lately. It’s great as a stretching exercise while I’m warming up.

1 Like

Fantastic song. If it helps, Hooky plays with a pick.

1 Like

Yes, I have been learning with a pick as well lately. It’s kind of like being on a ship in the ship yards. When you first go in and are getting used to wearing a hard hat, you hit your head on every hatch, pipe and light fixture until you learn your new head height!

4 Likes

Any song I play is the most fun for me because I’m doing what I love to do! :smiley:…….But, if I was forced to pick just one it would be “The Diamond Turns” by Lynn DeShazo. My music director at church (Steve Webber RIP) created a chart in which I had a bass solo (an Eb major 7 improvised descending ritardondo). He had the opportunity to talk to Lynn and he told her about my bass solo. She kind of wondered how that would work until he played her a recording from one of our Masses. She loved it. Unfortunately, that recording has been long lost….:cry:

Rescue me (Fontella Bass)

1 Like

That is a great song! Especially with her last name.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: yesssssss

Oh, I gotta try that!
Great song

1 Like

It’s a great song and it’s really simple to play. The bass line is only a couple of bars long that get repeated the whole song, but that stretch from 9th fret on the E to 13th on the G is awesome for getting that left hand ready to play.

1 Like

Rescue me ^Fontella Bass.pdf (293.8 KB)

1 Like

Wow! Thank you so much! What program or app do you use for transcribe the partiture? And the song you uploaded (I think you were) Cake “love you madly” do you know what kind of effects has the bass for sounding in that way? I thought it was a wah pedal but I’m not sure :thinking:

1 Like

Truth is: I know nothing about transcribing!

This is what I do: List of play-along songs with synchronised tabs on Youtube

And when I’m lazy or don’t like the song I do either nothing or just post the PDF. For “Rescue me” I was lazy - I quite like that song!

Creating a PDF from a Guitar Pro file, a MIDI, a Rockmith or Tonelin Jam file is easy when I find a source…

I also don’t know anything about the effects … but we have some usual suspects here that surely read this and can help.

Let me know if you need any tabs!

2 Likes

I believe the Cake bass formula was pretty simple: P-bass, treble rolled off a bit, bass/mids up a bit, a pre-amp, and an 1176 compressor.

You might like this thread, where the recording engineer that recorded/mixed their stuff weighs in:

https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/99546-cakes-signal-chain-bass.html

On Love You Madly in particular, I could see adding just a tiny bit of fuzz maybe?

2 Likes

Oh! I tried Guitar Pro but maybe with the iPad is more limited than in a pc… maybe I will buy the pc version and try again…
Well… I’m looking for the bass tab “Hooch” by Kelis, but I can’t find anything online, could you help me? Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m going to take a look! I have three amps, but all of them are combos, no pedals, no compressors… maybe I need to update my bass tools :smiling_face_with_tear:

Love Kelis, but no luck finding “hooch” :slight_smile:

Anything else you like?

1 Like

Same happens to me… don’t find the song anywhere :rofl::rofl: I will think about other songs… perhaps it would help my “Hooch obsession” goes away…

1 Like

A “Hooch” based playlist would be fun :slight_smile:
In the meantime you can loose yourself here: What are you sipping?

Some softies prefer milk (me!).

1 Like

Though I’m just getting started on bass and B2B, the one riff that I figured out on guitar and am now enjoying on bass is the classic one from Taste of Honeys’s Boogie Oogie Oogie by Janice Marie-Johnson. Mine only sounds vaguely as cool as the original right now, but one of my goals for B2B is to learn enough to move toward matching it exactly. It’s also, for me at least, a pretty good finger exercise.

1 Like