What is up with a G#7?

Hey Folks!
I’m still in my rookie mode…was trying to play along with a backing track on YT and maybe I’m just old but I can’t get the G#7 listed in the notes.
The chorus of the song goes G# Cmi Fmi G#7 C# A#mi D# played 2 times When I’m playing along I do Ok til the G#7 comes up. If I try to use the G# it just doesn’t sound right. I haven’t learned about what a 7 even is. I understand 3rds and 5ths and such but not what a 7 means on a note…
Can anyone give me a simple explanation of the 7th, and how do I find this G#7 on the fret board?.. Thanks!

2 Likes

These letters most likely represent chords, not just notes. So, G# is a G# major chord (the triad consisting of root - major third - fifth); the Cmi is a C minor chord (triad consisting of root - minor third - fifth), and so on. The G#7 is also a chord, but in this case the chord is built of four notes (instead of just three). It is a G# dominant 7 chord, which consists of the root (G#), the major third (B#), the fifth (D#) and the minor seventh (F#). Note that B# is enharmonically the same as C, but needs to be written as B# here (for consistency).

It is a bit of a strange chord progression, as the chords don’t look to be diatonically related…

Anyway, is there more information? For example, if it says G#7/D#, then it would be the second inversion, and then perhaps if you play a G# it doesn’t sound “right”!?

Let me know if that clarified things a bit or confused you even more!

2 Likes

Thanks joergkutter,
I get most of it…heh…but the title of the song says it’s for bass, in fact there is no bass playing in the track. I do also play along with tracks for guitar some, and there it plays like you are talking about and I have to figure out which notes to play on my bass.
What was throwing me off was that when I listen to the track, the G#7 sound higher in pitch than it does on my bass at G#…because it goes from a G# to the Fmi then the G#7…ah well…all part of learning…I’ll break down the chord notes you showed me and see if one of them fits in to what I’m actually hearing…

1 Like

Hm, I see… well, this may come as a surprise, but you can’t trust everything you see on YouTube :grin: I mean, it could be a mistake in there, easily! Follow your ears and perhaps that way it is easier to find which note fits at that point!?

Do you know what key the whole song is supposed to be in?

In any case, this doesn’t seem to be your garden variety song/chord progression, but normally your best bet is always to go with the root note. So, if that sounds “off”, maybe there is a mistake in the listing of the chords in the video…

3 Likes

A mistake in a video…that could never happen…heh heh…The song, I believe, is an original made up by the owner. I’ve played several of his tracks before with no trouble.
The title of the track says this: Bass Backing Track G# major - G sharp - Slow Classic Rock Ballad - NO BASS Thanks for the info…I actually did learn a bit which helps…if it will stick in this old brain…heh

3 Likes

Ok…I don’t have much experience but I do have a decent ear…I spent some time years back singing at nursing homes and Church, both with a group and A cappella and I’ve always had a decent ear. But on this song the closest note I can find to match the G#7 is Gb…F#…which ever…but kinda hard for you to really know not hearing the actual track…so maybe it was supposed to be a F#7? Anyway either way I’ve learned a little more about music.

2 Likes

Can you link to the video you’re referring to? Sounds like the chord symbols might not be agreeing with the music.

Sorry Josh…I doubt I could find it again, don’t remember what the song was called…

1 Like