What I've learned from covers

I don’t remember, but he talks about it in this video

I know it is the HIDDEN (last track after some silent time, up to 7-8 minutes) on this album below
Vol. 8

If you watch that video, when it gets to Frank, he talks about it and tells the name of the song and plays a little clip of it.

https://youtu.be/VlPyP-0DBEE

2 Likes

Good morning Pam, if you feel like covering these guys, please be their guest :heart:

2 Likes

Just a note here. Rap isn’t Hip-Hop. Rap is the vocal part often used over a hip-hop genre instrumental. Hip-hop is really wide field and there’re outstanding hip-hop tracks and artists out there.

I like to point towards likes of BSBD

And there’s a bunch of hiphop producers like this out there.

2 Likes

Oh yeah old school hip hop is way better than the pale imitation in the charts now. Such us the fate of all genres - some bands come along and innovate and create a new genre, and this attracts a ton of copycats. It took me ages to get into hip hop but now there’s nothing better when I need to work out some stress :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I believe that hip hop peaked around year 2000 with Wu-Tang clan and alikes and especially with RZA’s production,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-8QZic46As

and after that the genre started to slip in the crysis of today. There were groundbraking moments after that point (Nicky Minaj’s Monster part etc. ), but overall, average quality definitely went down.

1 Like

Totally unrelated but funny, I’d put off watching The Wire until last year, and was like “WHOA Method Man!”

He’s a good actor! I wouldn’t have guessed.

2 Likes

I’m late to this thread - but have a question about the initial question. What’s the best way to learn how to create your own music, if not playing covers? I have leaned towards covers cause they’re satisfying and challenging…and with my mistakes, it ends up being “my own” too. But as I’ve dabbled in “jamming” to a drum beat or something, I find I’m just wandering and rarely find something I’d really want to repeat. Playing covers gives me something I’m interested in repeating. But I’m open to learning other ways of discovering new riffs of my own. Just don’t know that this course ended with giving me more direction beyond “just play around” which didn’t work so well for me.

2 Likes

I think everyone’s path is unique to them. For Satisfaction, Keith Richards passed out while noodling, and when he woke up he played the cassette back and there was the riff.

Aerosmith, the band was in the studio and out of ideas, Joe Perry asked if anyone had a rif. Tom Hamilton played a bass riff he was noodling with, Steve Tyler ran with it and wrote lyrics about his ex who dumped him for Joe, and Sweet Emotion (which was Joe’s nickname) was born

Free Falling, Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne were noodling in the studio, Jeff suggested Free Falling, which Tom couldn’t make work with 3 chords, so he added a second Free, and the song was recorded in a day

Highway to Hell, Malcolm was banging on the drums, and Angus added chords. Which is why it takes so long for the band to come in, Mal wasn’t playing his guitar. It started with the beat.

Some artists have concepts. A reviewer panned Aqualung as a boring concept album. Ian took issue that it was a concept album at all, and wrote a concept album to pan the reviewer, and Thick as a Brick was born.

Norm Greenbaum loved gospel music, and wrote a gospel song about Jesus though he was Jewish, Spirit in the Sky.

Play some stuff, record it, play it back, see if anything is worth developing. Like Keith

5 Likes

Yes, it may feel like that … “just play around”… but that’s the whole thing really… during the course Josh gives pointers on how songs, riffs, bass lines etc are built and how you can come up with your own…. Coming up with stuff, takes time and plenty of purposeful noodling…… it’s not different than knowing spelling and grammar, and then writing lyrics or a book
For covers is fun and rewarding, and can give you inspiration to create something too

3 Likes

I don’t know if it helps, but here is a song from a group that never fails to inspire me

It’s about waking up and being excited to go to school. It’s aspirational too

Here is the story it inspired

Lucky to be published. With me, it starts with a thought

2 Likes

I am finding that on “With or without you”. I like the song, the bass line is effective but boring because of it’s repetition, however I can appreciate it is teaching me how to chug reasonably quickly with (hopefully) good timing. It’s a slog though.

4 Likes

@Bassdacious, make sure you solo your bass part and give a good listen. I thought I was a chug master until I did this, then…ugh!
I figured out two things, I kept changing fingers from on beat to off beat when changing strings and this made the chugging sound different, and, I was just not in time very well. So I devised a little head nod that seems to keep me on beat much better as well as keeping the fingers I-M vs. M-I on beat.

3 Likes

Great tips. Thanks, I’ll make sure I do it. Cheers

3 Likes

That’s what we do in our band. I think one of the best ways is to simply play with other people. Sooner or later something will click between a couple of people and then, well, you’re off.

Our synth player was messing about the other day while the guitarist was tuning up and I asked her to play the riff again. So she did and I put some simple bass on it to get it going and it felt ok. Guitarist joined in and then the drummer waited till I’d got a groove and then joined it. Et voila, another song :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A lot of good input here on this thread @cbaray…. For me, I find that when I’m warming up and practicing scales, every so often I’ll pick up a cool or catchy riff that I’ll make note of. I’ll then practice that riff as part of my every day routine and eventually add onto it when I discover notes and tones from other scales I might be practicing…. So for me, I suppose practicing scales is my best way of creating my own music…

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes