What makes you happy?

To kill my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamantations of their women.

12 Likes

Phew … that is some heavy sh#@t :joy:. The butterflies are out on the buddlejas here - it’s mostly the small things for me.

2 Likes

Conan!

2 Likes

Whitewater Kayaking - the feeling of moving and being at one with a force that’s so much greater than yourself. The camaraderie, the laughs, the joy, the beat-downs, the ass kickings, the brutal swims and that moment of genuine gut churning fear where you seriously consider taking up another sport. Yeah all of that. It’s the only thing I genuinely look forward to every year; boating season :slight_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqmpWBM2bTo

3 Likes

I wondered when this was going to come up! I personally prefer the open steppe, a fleet horse, the wind in my hair, and falcon at my wrist. :grin:

6 Likes

And a big a$$ed sword by your side :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

The Barbarian, or O’Brien? Sorry, this is not clear.

1 Like

Always thought this looked like a blast - maybe if it was a local option for me, I would have picked it up…

Both of those quotes were from Conan the Barbarian :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s fantastic. But, and there’s a big but. It’s a steep learning curve. You’re going to swim a lot when you first learn the sport. You’ll be upside down in moving water. You’ll be cold, tired and maybe want to quit (a lot).
You’re rewarded by persevering through it, all but in my 20+ years of boating most people end up quitting. It’s also a massive time suck, so as soon as you have family it’s hard to be away boating for the whole day. It is really fun, once you can do it :slight_smile:

I just looked on American Whitewater for Pennsylvania and you’ve got quite a lot of whitewater in that state and a lot of pretty friendly Class 1 and 2 rivers. Info below.

3 Likes

Appreciate that @Barney , but I think the window for me picking this sport up has closed. :slight_smile: I’m solidly into the kids/school/activities cycle - it can be hard to squeeze in simple bass practice. :slight_smile: Never know what the future holds though - I’ve never stopped thinking it looks like a ton of fun… Enjoy it - and stay safe…

2 Likes

Love my goofy floofs!

5 Likes

The things that make me happy are pretty simple.

1. knowing and liking myself-took me a long time to get there.

2. the people I care about. I am lucky, I’ve got a lot of really great folks in my life. More than I’ve ever had. ( one wonders if this is directly related to number 1? )

3. being able to do the things I have to do and still being able to do the things I WANT to do.

4. this is the Big one. Being kind. Being understanding. Being willing to take just a little more time and actually hear someone else.

So if I consolidate all of this? If it had to be answered in one sentence?

What makes me happy? Being the kind of friend that I’d like to have.

8 Likes

This is great. In my estimation, you’re there, man. :+1:

3 Likes

:smile:

2 Likes

@autumnsdad1990 That is very well said and a great attribute.

3 Likes
  • a good B string
  • my daughter
  • sharing memes with my friends
  • paddle boarding
  • mountain biking
  • learning new stuff
  • riding my motorcycle
  • shooting photos
  • spending way too much time on forums, YT and reddit

1 Like

Besides playing bass…
Endurance Racing (WEC, ELMS, IMSA).
If all goes to plan I’m going to Le Mans for the centennial of the 24 hour race. That and just the thought of some big names back in the top category next year makes me happy.
Camping/traveling.
Going to concerts.
Listening to music.
Watching my favorite tv shows.
Spending time with or talking to family and friends.
Going to car/truck/bike shows.
Sailing on Tall Ships. Luckily there’s a ship specially build for disabled so wheelchair friendly when I need it as I’m in between worlds at the moment.

2 Likes