What music genre benefit from additional lower-B string?

The singers in my old praise group, “Grace On Fire”, preferred Eb and D major and minor keys. My StingRay 5 made it easier for me to play in those keys. Our soprano preferred the lower Eb and D as opposed to the Eb and D an octave higher that I would have had to play if I only played a four string bass.
I rarely played below the D on the B string, though.
Although many have suggested tuning down or attaching a drop tuner, I did not like the feel of the looser tension of the strings.
So I started playing a fiver out of necessity and now I prefer it over a four string.

8 Likes

Folks. When looking at the lower B string, I noticed that I will only get five additional semitones from B to D#. The E on the B string is basically the same as open E string. So unless the songs I play use the notes from B0 - D1 , adding lower B string would not be that advantageous? Is there anything missing on my thought process here?

3 Likes

Millions of songs have been played quite well on 4 string. Run what you brung

3 Likes

It’s true that you only get five more semitones. You also get another string to play on though, which opens up a lot of new fingering combinations on the neck down on the low end. The string also has a different timbre than the E string.

But yeah, I’m fine with 4’s myself :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes, that is a known fact about the B string. The advantage however, is playing songs written in Eb for example. Also, playing the E-G on the B string is often times advantageous in terms of efficiency.

5 Likes

I’ve been trying out a six string lately, which also has an additional 5 semitones on the C string. I’ve been starting to learn the song Season’s in the Abyss, and although there’s no notes used which aren’t on the four string, I’m playing mostly around frets 5-7. the noes on the E string moved to B, and the notes on the A string moved to E, and it just seems easier. And more control on the Es and As, which there are a lot of in this song.

But nothing that couldn’t be done on a 4. Probably just as easy, but I am more comfortable on frets 3-10

6 Likes

That sounds cool @Wombat-metal . I’ve often thought about getting a 6, but would like to try one first.

3 Likes

I was planning to start the 6 string journey next year, but saw a deal on a B stock LTD and said what the heck. I think my serious study of it will still begin next year.

As far as trying one, to me it’s inevitible. if I want to play any of the bass lines for one of my favorite bands, I need a six. Unfortunately.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t concern yourself with those because they will rarely if ever become useful at all. The main benefit is in the extra string that can be used to make chords sound really good. There’s also the extra string for more convenient note choices under your hand while soloing, and the narrower string spacing for when you’re hopping between strings.

5 Likes

Now that is a legit reason @HowLowCanYouGet :+1: Thanks for sharing. :pray:

3 Likes

I have the Mark Smith Chords class.
I was assuming a 6 would make chords more interesting, no?
The course is an excuse to one day get a 6.

3 Likes

I have that also, but still have not started it. Truly, a 6 would be in order for that course.

2 Likes

I don’t find it to be that advantageous most of the time because I don’t really like the tone of notes above the 5th fret on the B string… but 2 advantages are being able to play across the strings at the same frets instead of having to go down the E string and some people like to just rest their thumb on the B string because it keeps the right hand angle/distances consistent when moving the thumb to the E and A strings vs resting the thumb on the pickup. I mostly use my 5 string for theory, practicing sight reading and playing keyboard synth bass lines, I play 4 strings the rest of the time.

4 Likes

I think that’s the main point of the C string right there. The extra 5 semi-tones on the C string are so far up the neck…and I think the string would get in my way more than anything (the reach to the E string).

I would favor the B string, but I hesitate for the B as well, since muting can be an extra chore when you play on the higher strings.

2 Likes

Chords sound really sweet. And even if the player is not going to play chords, even power chords, in their music, playing chords in practise is really useful for ear training.

The B string I don’t find that useful in actual playing. The notes stop sounding clear after E, 5th fret, and become increasingly muddy and indistinct the higher they go. I don’t see any value on being able to play within a box across the neck, and I wince every time a note is played above E. The muting can be a problem sometimes depending on how someone plays

2 Likes

I listened to a few techno/gabber projects with bass played with 5 string. (And sometimes with live drummer, definitely on Speed.) I really want to write a long techno “opus” driven by my DRUMBRUTE trhough my Yamaha mix/effector and everything else, other than the bass, sequenced through Beatstep and Novation SL MkIII. I have few hundred bucks and would like to buy something 5 string, a little bit playable just to test the concept. Any ideas?

1 Like

I give a big +1 to all of @HowLowCanYouGet’s ideas and suggestions.

Modern Neo-Soul / R&B / Gospel has GOTTA have that low B.

…It’s basically covering every genre.

And as an avid slapper of 5 strings, it should be noted that not all 5 strings are created equally! It is really helpful when the maker makes an extra long scale scale-length.
Those thicker, lower pitched strings have a lot more bounce and punch to them when they are at a 35" or 36" rather than a standard 34".

8 Likes

Love her presence

2 Likes

Yeah, she’s fantastic. Really glad to see her doing so well.

1 Like

Japartogi here’s my take.
I bought some kind of Warwick 5 string over 20 yrs ago. Haven’t played it yet. The fretboard looks like a 2x6 compared to my Peavey Fury 4 Jazz neck.

I learned by ear, on 4 string as a kid. I’m now 68, and have learned this; when I play, I utilize open strings, maybe in a power chord, or if I have to reach for something on stage.
That’s not a real good use anyway, but a lifetime of that is hard to change.
Then I realized that playing without any open strings means you can transpose keys on the fly, by not playing open strings.
Seems to me, playing the 5 in that manor would be perfect.
If you’re at all inclined to play 5, I can see where there would be benefits for you from now on.
I’m just not frustrated enough yet, or whatever, to get serious about trying.

4 Likes