Ibanez SR300E vs. Yamaha TRBX304 (Jack of All Basses / Master of None?)

My wife is 5"1, and her fingers are longer than mine. :joy:

1 Like

Never mind the bass, what’s the deal with that mustache? :grin:

4 Likes

@Mike_NL : Where were you in 1975? :rofl:

2 Likes

I definitely didn’t need to shave yet, that’s for sure :joy:

3 Likes

yeah - about 7-8 years away from shaving for me :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m really happy with my Ibanez, I enjoy practising with it and am not looking to replace it any time soon.
It’s not about finding what’s ‘best’ I just want to understand better where it fits in the big picture. Like, when I buy a car, without being an expert I at least understand what the different catergories of car are and their use cases, and within a category what the different characteristics between models are so I can make a reasonably informed decision based on my needs.
With basses I don’t really know what the categories are or why I would want one over the other, or even what puts a bass in a particular category.

From reading through replies in this thread I’m gathering it comes down to pickup type and configuration, is that it?

3 Likes

Categories are useful. They provide a convenient shorthand that can lend to easier communication.

Categories are also overrated. There’s a lot more that goes in to what makes an instrument great than which Fender it happens to sound the most like. And for many of us, that means literally nothing.

There are several common pickup configurations. This is one way to categorize instruments in that they can share general tonal characteristics. But there is still vast variation between the basses. No one would accuse my Yamaha SGV-550 of being either a P-bass or a J-bass, despite it being a P/J :rofl:

And I wouldn’t trade it for any P-bass or J-bass.

The value we find in our instruments goes way beyond simple bucketing based on pickup or body styles.

3 Likes

Sweet hair.

3 Likes

I own the Ibanez SR300EB, as I’m just a beginner and I think this Bass really nice and good playable. I really love the looks and how it feels. I’m not really a Yamaha fan but that’s more because of the looks and not based on some experience I have. Oh, And Ibanez is ofcourse more into the Rock, Metal - also what Josh says in the video.
I think you really have good quality in this price range. I tried some basses in the store and the SR300 felt best for me.
I found it hard to find the correct sound with all those options but that is also because I do not have enough experience yet, so just playing around to find the sound I want. I’m really happy with this Bass :smiley:

7 Likes

I loved mine. It’s a good rig.

4 Likes

Mind you, this was 47 years ago. :grin:

2 Likes

And that’s what it is about.

5 Likes

Canadian tuxedo?

4 Likes

WIthout flannel?

3 Likes

That’s a Canadian dinner jacket. Get your insults right :wink:

A “Canadian tuxedo” is a colloquial term for wearing a jean shirt or denim jacket with jeans . The term reportedly originated in 1951 after Bing Crosby was refused entry to a hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia, because he was wearing a denim top and denim bottoms

4 Likes

Bing Crosby in jeans? I never would have guessed. I always remembered him with a Christmas hat and a plaid jacket.

1 Like

Man, if i had hair like that…

2 Likes

Added to the BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide under Bass Gear Reviews.

2 Likes

Mind you, this was 47 years ago. :smiley:
I still have full coverage, but it’s not as much as it was. Which is probably a Good Thing.

2 Likes

I did say “look at the bass”, right? :rofl:

2 Likes