What’s the big deal with neck dive?

That too, but in the case of my tele bass, not sure that would have been enough. It was like bam! floor

3 Likes

I imagine it’s not a big deal sitting in your house going through BassBuzz and the like. I imagine it’s a much bigger deal for a touring musician who has to deal with it night after night, song after song.

shrug

2 Likes

I mean I specifically said I was standing, not sitting. And I also specifically mentioned it might be more of an issue for longer sessions (longest being 2 hours so far).

But also; a lot of posts both here and elsewhere, about the issue of neck dives, are made by people that are presumably not actually touring musicians dealing with it night after night, song after song…

2 Likes

Neck dives are a non issue to most people till it isn’t, lol.

If it have one bass and the neck dive is killing me then I’d do something about it by either change the tuners or add a counterweight at the body. That said, I’m more into the whole look and feel of the instruments than their quirks. If I have a gig that I would have to be on stage for a long time then I’d bring a bass that wouldn’t give me any attitude, lol.

When I’m invited to play nowadays it’s different, I just bring whatever basses I want to show off I don’t really care how unbalanced it it as long as it looks and sounds the part.

4 Likes

The only thing I know for certain @simonpwood to any question about bass after 2 1/2 years of playing is:

Q. Insert question
A. Depends

The wonderful thing about this for me is it’s all subjective. I love my Fender Jazz bass with flat strings and play it through a multi effects unit (Line 6 HX Stomp).

Some people on here will absolutely hate that set up. They’d rather have their hand slammed in a car door than choose that rig. None of us is right and that’s a wonderful thing.

I hope you’re having as much fun as me. Bass kicks ass. :metal::metal::metal:

5 Likes

Yup……

4 Likes

I think we could revisit Coke/Pepsi

2 Likes

Answer is still Dr. Pepper

5 Likes

tenor

Tea obviously

3 Likes

How to fix your top heavy bass or guitar (no mods) - YouTube :wink:

And no one has mentioned a Hofner yet?

1 Like

Ouch!

Ouch!

1 Like

That young fella on the Ed Sullivan show back in the 60s seemed to play it ok, and didn’t seem to be overly bothered by the neck dive!

<— This guy seems to like one too, not as talented as that Liverpool guy tho

Having worked at 2/3 of those, Pepsi and Dr Pepper, I can 100% say that even though I don’t touch any of it anymore, the clear winner is Dr Pepper. @howard for the win. It is the better product, just less marketing $$$. Diet Dr Pepper is the single best diet soda ever made too.

Revisit complete. Lol

3 Likes

It is. It is so close to the non-diet. The only other one I know of that close is Diet Canada Dry ginger ale.

2 Likes

Can’t speak for others models and such but, in my case, my Spector Dimension has a noticeable neck dive compared to my Fender Jazz. It only really happens when I take my hands off both sides of the bass. I fixed the problem by having a nice, cushioned and non-slip strap on it.

So for minor to moderate neck dive, I recommend experimenting with some different straps and that should pretty much fix the problem.

Diet Mountain Dew is good.

1 Like

Yeah, I read your post. :slight_smile: I didn’t mean literally sitting, I meant “sitting”, as in “hanging around”.

My point was that it’s probably not really an actual issue for most people who are not touring musicians, more just something to complain about as people tend to do, but that it probably is an area of actual concern for touring musicians. That’s all.

1 Like

It is. I used to be addicted to it and had lots of health problems when I was. All done drinking that stuff (I wasn’t the only one either)