What’s the big deal with neck dive?

Much better alternative than coffee or tea!

7 Likes

Make mine a Dirty Bastard every time, barkeep!

3 Likes

Definitely could get into either one of those as a breakfast drink. It’s 5:00 PM somewhere, right?

2 Likes

All this talk about coffee and tea and I forgot to share my wisdom on the matter at hand.

Neck dive has it’s place…on someone else’s bass! :rofl:

I am curing my neck dive right now with my usual breakfast- 2 pod coffees,
I suspect neck dive to recommence in about 2 hours so I’ll have to re-cure with some Moccona instant at work

Neck dive? Sounds more like chin drop. :smirk:

Porter (or Dopplebock, if you’re German) was actually a breakfast/lunch beer for longshoremen; thick, caloric, and actually nutritious. It’s called Porter for a reason.

(Doppelbock also the best kind of beer IMO and the only one I know of with a naming convention - all should end with -ator or -ater).

My favorite beer of all time (plus, ample supply growing up):

…which is kind of a porter/stout hybrid by taste. Less bready than a porter, more malty than a stout.

1 Like

ya neck dive can make a bass harder to play, and some cool looking bass shapes are more prone to neck dive. I made my own straplok extenders to combat neck dive,

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

From an aesthetics point alone, I wouldn’t want to have them on my basses. That’d be a solid no-no for me.

I am also wondering whether there isn’t a larger risk to rip them out of the wood (due to the larger lever) and thus potentially ruin the horn altogether!?

Cool that this solution works for you, but I personally would keep looking for other options… :smile:

2 Likes

Ya I’d be concerned about the moment arm forces on that damaging the wood and internal screw but maybe the majority of the weight is on the heel button and it doesn’t really matter. Unique solution and if it works it works!

2 Likes

First thing I thought as well.

1 Like

Is there some reason people are averse to simply swapping to lightweight tuning machines? The dive would need to be pretty severe for that to not fix it. Most stock tuning machines are heavier than you think and are on a long lever.

Switching to Hipshot Ultralites, for example, can save nearly a half pound - over 200g - compared to stock Fender tuners. That’s a significant downforce on the neck.

2 Likes

Could this simple guitar strap solution fix “neck dive” once and for all? | Guitar World

1 Like

That might indeed solve the problem of the neck diving/moving, but the unevenly distributed weight is still there and will now exert more force (= potential pain) on your shoulder.

I would seriously consider @howard 's suggestion, even if more expensive.

1 Like

:100: For USA-made Hipshot tuners. I’ve got them on two of my basses. They are easy to use, hold tuning great, and are lightweight quality.

As for cost, considering how much players spend on gear, Hipshots are way high on the list of a great bang for the buck.

1 Like

This!
Reminds me of all the masterclasses I went to in college.

Q: Insert question
A: Practice/Listen/Play more

Neck dive.
Floating Fingers.
The sound your bass makes when you move your hand.
J bass vs P bass.

Without these beautiful bass things, the internet would be calm and silent.
Bless these impassioned people and their energies for trivialities.

I’ll stick to… well, it depends.

4 Likes

What an eerie thought… :dotted_line_face: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I refer you all back here…

3 Likes