What’s the big deal with neck dive?

Ouch!

Ouch!

1 Like

That young fella on the Ed Sullivan show back in the 60s seemed to play it ok, and didn’t seem to be overly bothered by the neck dive!

<— This guy seems to like one too, not as talented as that Liverpool guy tho

Having worked at 2/3 of those, Pepsi and Dr Pepper, I can 100% say that even though I don’t touch any of it anymore, the clear winner is Dr Pepper. @howard for the win. It is the better product, just less marketing $$$. Diet Dr Pepper is the single best diet soda ever made too.

Revisit complete. Lol

3 Likes

It is. It is so close to the non-diet. The only other one I know of that close is Diet Canada Dry ginger ale.

2 Likes

Can’t speak for others models and such but, in my case, my Spector Dimension has a noticeable neck dive compared to my Fender Jazz. It only really happens when I take my hands off both sides of the bass. I fixed the problem by having a nice, cushioned and non-slip strap on it.

So for minor to moderate neck dive, I recommend experimenting with some different straps and that should pretty much fix the problem.

Diet Mountain Dew is good.

1 Like

Yeah, I read your post. :slight_smile: I didn’t mean literally sitting, I meant “sitting”, as in “hanging around”.

My point was that it’s probably not really an actual issue for most people who are not touring musicians, more just something to complain about as people tend to do, but that it probably is an area of actual concern for touring musicians. That’s all.

1 Like

It is. I used to be addicted to it and had lots of health problems when I was. All done drinking that stuff (I wasn’t the only one either)

Diet Mountain Dew. All the caffeine and twice the chemicals ™

Since my stomach/intestinal surgery I have learned just how caustic soda is…don’t drink it

1 Like

Too soon

Hi there,

of course, I agree with the “it depends” thing. For me, I find my right hand technique is a big issue, so resting my arm becomes a puzzle piece.

And I strongly disagree that a balanced instrument is the same as fancy tone woods… The build of the guitar is imho the most important aspect, forget looks and materials.

Also: coffee beats tea and soda pop any time of the day. :smiling_imp:

Ciao,
Antonio

PS: I have tried practically every balancing tip - the most effectives are, in descending order:

1. buy a new, well-balanced bass

2. counteracting with your body (though it has the biggest trade-off: flexibility)

3. twisting the strap and putting it on “backwards”

4. using light weight tuners

5. wheel weights in the electronics compartment, or a high-mass bridge

6. relocating the top strap button (by making the horn longer, using spacers, or re-drilling)

7. relocating the bottom strap button or trying @DeadPixels tip

8. machining the headstock (possible, but it has little impact)

9. complaining on a forum

10. resting the headstock on a shelf

11. playing in a headstand (requires a subscription to your local yoga school)

12. playing keyboard bass

13. pretending it doesn’t bother you (positive thinking, or NLP call this re-framing)

14. play guitar

15. use an extra strap, just for the neck

16. make up your own stuff!

2 Likes

But did you try this stroke of genius though?

1 Like

I think I might! If so, I must’ve forgotten about that, though it was so impractical with looping the strap through…

I’ve added it to my list, thank you!

1 Like

But you gotta wear the funky aviator skullcap/helmet and Jackie Onassis shades or the trick don’t work. Commit, dammit.

2 Likes

Seriously, 100% solved the problem for me, took 10 minutes, and I ended up with better tuning machines.

tenor

:point_up_2::point_up_2: Clearly drinks the wrong coffee… :joy:

Also, suede strap…
Don’t often even bother with mine, but I did tonight, solid. :+1:

3 Likes

tenor

I like coffee. However tea is superior. You can drink it hot, warm, tepid and cold and it still tastes good.

Cold coffee sucks. So it loses to tea in the best drink category. This is the only thing I’m definitely right about :wink:

1 Like

Nope. Only drink tea if I’ve ran out of coffee, that’s only ever happened once in the last 6 years :joy:

4 Likes