What’s your favorite bass (if you own more than 1)

:rofl::joy::rofl:

5 Likes

It’s been my PBass lately but I finally found some 5 string songs I really like so I’m back to the Sire again :laughing:

2 Likes

too funny. All my favorite basses used to be Squire, now they seem to be ESP.

5 Likes

Although I do still love love my Squire Jazz my Aerodyne PJ reins supreme. Changing pickups in the Aerodyne J soon so we will see.

2 Likes

Yeah, I love my Paranormal Jazz, and with the Apollo pups it has a lot of character. My Jaguar has great tone. But my Streams are just more playable. The 1005 with the EMGX PJ set sounds great, or will when I get decent strings on it. The 204 has generic bottom of the line ESP pickups, but is so damn comfortable. I’ve ordered a Dave Ellefson set of pickups for it.

Sometime this month I should get my Surveyor 87 with the SD SPB1s, and with Labellas I’m expecting it will sound pretty nice

3 Likes

For me it’s a two way tie between my two current basses. Which sounds silly until you realize they are the survivors out of a field of six.

If my SBV-550 didn’t have slight neck dive it would be #1.

Just so unusual and cool, and feels amazing. Super high quality bass. Love the Blue and White too. Great P/J tone.

And then my trusty TRBX604. Ancient pic, still had a clip-on tuner :slight_smile:

I just love everything about this bass - weight, feel, tone, looks. Neck and pickups are amazing, preamp is good, very high quality instrument. So good. Really bonded with it.

9 Likes

I just put a set of LaBellas on my Stream 204 and I’m in love again

5 Likes

My favorite is my Fender Professional II P Bass.

11 Likes

I own just one. Not the first bass I owned but certainly the one I had the most fun playing with:
Ibanez mikro 4 strings.
It is cheap, but plays well from day 0 with stock strings an pickups and it’s easy to upgrade. Body is well balanced. Tunners actually hold the tone (not like some squier i had). I didn’t even Changed the stock strings in 3 years.
Fun, short scale, fits in a guitar bag and sounds deep with infinite sustain.
Only drawback: you can’t slap. You will never ever.

10 Likes

Honestly, I don’t have a “favorite” per se. I do have “favorites” for different style of music. I prefer my Junior Jet for reggae and anything gnarly that requires picking. My P-bass for everything else.
Edit: My latest purchase–a cheapo Ibanex Gabx 150 32 scale seems like it would be a good gigging bass if I ever found a band.

2 Likes

Have to amend this. My homemade bass is fast becoming my favorite. The only thing I DON’T like about it is the weight. But the nice clean tone from the MM pickup coupled with the relatively flat-radiused fretboard makes it a joy to play.

7 Likes

I own a root beer colored Mikro and I love it…I bring it to work with me on Saturdays because of the smaller size but the sound is just as good as some of my other basses.

5 Likes

Making basses has become my lockdown pass-time.
If I am attempting to learn a new bassline, I go to my PrecisionMan (it started as a Fender Precision but got the edges routed off, the headstock reshaped and the pickup replaced). A MusicMan pickup with a series/parallel/single coil switch gives some fun tone options.
For a 60’s flatwound British invasion sound (mellow thumpy bass) I go to my Gibson EB2, it’s also very comfortable to play standing due to the armrest body curve. I also have a Gibson EB3 which has tapewound strings and does a reasonable impression of a double bass sound.
Sometimes it’s just fun to play a fretless, the sound of bending / sliding is slightly addictive.

5 Likes

It’s a little strange, but I put on the Waza-Air Bass tonight and tried it with all 8 of my basses and I came away with the impression that my J Bass (the Poison Apple I built) had the best tone and low end grunt with the Yamaha BB G4 and Ibanez Mikro coming in behind it. I also found that the Steinberger E string was way out of tune. Ranking them in order:

1. The Poison Apple J Bass
  2. the Yamaha BB G4
  3. The Ibanez Mikro
  4. The Turquoise Waters P Bass
  5. Squier Affinity Jaguar
  6. The Yamaha TRBX174
  7. The generic PJ Bass (1st one I bought)
  8. The Steinberger Spirit XT-1 (mostly because it was out of tune)
    Now, this was just with the Waza…I haven’t tried them on the actual amps and I’ll tune the Steinberger before I try again.
5 Likes

My favourite has become my Warwick Thumb. It’s just a pleasure to play.
It’s very closely followed by my Streamer NT. Again easy to play and lighter than the thumb. The PJ pickup layout is very good tone wise.
After that would be my Corvette. It’s one I go back to and really enjoy. Definitely on the boat anchor scale though.
Then its a toss up between the Infinity and my Ibanez SR.
To be totally honest it’s pretty hard to choose between them all but the Thumb has a slight edge

5 Likes

I asked all my Santas for a bass related shirt for Christmas and ended up with three. Can anyone guess what my favorite bass is?

15 Likes

Love it!!

I have been seriously messing around with my ugly green Hofner to some late Beatles tunes and I have to say I am loving it, a LOT.
So much so that I am now considering a higher end Hofner in its place.
When I first tried it at GC, I did not like it at all, but finding one for $150 I couldn’t pass it up, even if it isn’t easy being green.
But for getting that early or late Macca tone, its amazing.
Next cover will be on it, and with a damn pick!
For some reason, the little Hofner seems pick friendly to me vs. my other longer basses, not sure why.

5 Likes

My favorite bass has changed quite a bit since my earlier post. It is now, without doubt, my Kiesel-made Carvin X44 Xccelerator. So much so that - much like @PamPurrs above - I have a Kiesel hoodie on its way to me.

I did some digging and discovered what woods were used in the construction of my X44… it’s got a quilted maple top, a black limba and white limba body, a maple and black limba neck, and a birdseye maple fretboard.

I didn’t even know that limba was an actual wood. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Limba is very similar to Mahogany. Black and White limba are the same tree, just darker or lighter grain.

4 Likes

Right now its definitely my American Professional II Precision bass. This thing has some thump. Great build and the neck is slightly thinner than a traditional P bass neck so transition from my Jazz was quite easy.

5 Likes