What software should I be using to record my riffs with?

I have a Windows computer and an Android phone just for reference. Total newb and have no idea where to start with this lol.

5 Likes

@hoodz91 Welcome to the BassBuzz forum!
When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself! thread.

As to your question, I recommend Audacity. It’s not flashy but it’s easy to use with lots of resources on line if you need any help.

Also, depending on the sound quality you’re looking for you might consider getting a USB audio interface. (Think of it as a high quality external sound card with lots of connection designed for sound recording.) You don’t need one. It all depends on the equipment you have and how professional you want your recording to sound.

1 Like

Audacity is limited, simple to use, and great.
As to getting your bass sounds into your computer: how much do you want to spend, and does your amp have a line out-option?

1 Like

Thanks a lot guys. I’ll make sure to hop over to the introduce myself section soon. I have the Vox headphone amp currently. I also have a usb chord for my bass from playing Rocksmith so I am hoping I can use that as a way to connect it to my computer. Is Audacity a phone app or computer program? Or both?

1 Like

Computer program. It’s limited but free and a good start for simple recording.

1 Like

Ive used rocksmith cables before I got an audio interface. Once you get ASIO4ALL drivers setup it works decently. I think it would work with audacity but I have to say i used reaper, which is a more full featured, and therefore complex bit of software.

2 Likes

I use this and its great…super simple run line out from your amp or use the built in amp models, reverbs, pedals, etc.

3 Likes

yeah, audacity is a really good place to start because it teaches you (for free) the nuts and bolts of how these programs work. you will probably quickly want to move up to something a little more powerful though. i use garageband because it’s a good enough program that people have put out studio cd’s with it but still pretty simple to use.

edit: woops sorry you said you have a pc. i actually bought a cheap mac mini to use as my recording computer.

1 Like

What is goal? Remember them? Professional sound? Isolated to be with other recordings for use in a song?

You can get the spire app for free. You record right on your phone with the phone mic, and it will even EQ the mic so it doesn’t clip.

If you want better, look into Presonus.

I have Audacity, Reaper, and FL Studio. So far, I really like Reaper.

1 Like

I used Audacity for awhile, and it worked okay, but I wanted something better (Audacity is lacking in many features and capabilities). I tried the Ableton Lite that came with my Zoom U-44, but it’s very complicated to learn, plus many of the features are only available if you buy the (very expensive) full version. I finally settled on Reaper, which is what I’ve been using for about a year now. It’s free to try for a period of time, easy enough to learn, and then very inexpensive to purchase the lifetime license. I highly recommend Reaper.

P.S. There’s also a Reaper Thread here in the forum.

I use Ableton Live… it’s expensive but have always had compliments for my bass tone (DAI with MM stingray5 no effects) I use Reason for drums and other MIDI, again expensive but the sound is awesome. I’m sure you all know that it’s always just a matter of how much you want to spend. Pam, there is a really good tutorial attached to Ableton Live on the right hand side of the screen. It’s pretty good for learning the basics.

1 Like

Also note that you don’t need to buy the full (suite) versions of these programs to get professional results

1 Like

Yeah Ableton is a fine DAW, I wouldn’t ever say it isn’t, and if I had been willing to spend some time in the learning curve I would have mastered it. But Reaper was there and there were plenty of people here in the forum knowledgeable about it, so that’s the direction I went. I’m fully engaged with it now, so there’s no sense switching.

1 Like

Fair enough Pam, if it works for you (and going by your covers, it certainly does) then stick with what works :wink:
Just for anyone new who has the time to learn it (and it maybe a little pricey but worth it) Ableton Live is a fantastic DAW.

1 Like

I may give Ableton Lite another look and see if I like it as much or better than Reaper.

1 Like

I would definitely be using Ableton if I were not happy with Reaper.

2 Likes

Ditto :+1: