What song are you currently/next "working on"?

I’m revisiting TalkingBass’ 25 groove challenge. I hadn’t touched the bass for about 8 months so it’s a good way to get my fingers back in shape and to break in the new flats.

5 Likes

Oh man i forgot all about those!

4 Likes

It’s crazy how well they work on improving finger dexterity, at least for me. I’m on #7 and the jump from the A string to the G string (using the index finger) is giving me some frustrating trouble keeping the A from ringing.

2 Likes

Where’s them at @RuknRole ?

2 Likes

Yeah I am having a lot of finger dexterity/coordination issues.
It all started when I started playing a lot of sax (my dexterity there is better than ever…go figure).
I guess my brain needs some retraining to do both in quantity (I had stopped playing sax for a bit but no more).
I think these will help.

Octaves and two string jumps on the same fret are my kryptonite, so I guess it would be good to start really going at them and whoop their arses.

I think I stopped at #5 on those.

3 Likes

They can be found in the practice room at TalkingBass.net.

I also started a thread on the subject a while back.

2 Likes

Yea tell me about it! It’s easy to mute by resting the thumb of the right hand on the A string, but Mark seems to be muting with the left hand. I don’t know how he’s doing it at speed!

1 Like

Hey Bulldog by the Beatles is on our School of Rock setlist for next session. I’ve got 4 months. It scares me. But I know the secret is just “slow it down and loop it” to get each section. 4 months is do-able. And hopefully I’ll be able to pad my setlist with other songs I either know, or are from earlier in their career…

5 Likes

Well, I have to say it was a very different experience than playing with a backing track. It was me, a drum machine and this guy who plays guitar but doesn’t read music, he only knows the songs that he plays all the time. That’s fine. He plays very well. It was great fun actually being able to interact with someone rather than just looping the track over and over again. We are going to try to get together one more time before I leave Hawaii in October.

10 Likes

@JerryP , that’s great! I’m Really glad you has a good experience! I’m sure he thought you did well and was glad to play with you. Good on you!

4 Likes

Thanks @autumnsdad1990 !

3 Likes

Good deal! Glad you enjoyed it!

3 Likes

I’m in the midst of Module 7 and feeling good, so I’m giving this a go. It’s a pretty fun song with the bass being front and center. It’s also not too hard for where I’m at.

3 Likes

I thought I’d get ready early for the holiday season and decided to start on “Feliz Navidad” – it’s a lot trickier than I (naively) thought it would be, but it’s a really good workout, so I will stick with it, as I have three months or so to get it down :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, i played some tonight. I was good for about 15 minutes before it became less than comfortable, so at about 20 minutes i put it away. So that is actually great news, because this week has been long without playing. This is actually the longest time I’ve gone without a bass in my hands since i got one.
But the song I’m working on is fun. Vacation by the go-gos

8 Likes

Yay, physical therapy! Bright side is im way past where they want me to be right now. Meaning I’m doing this recovery right. Yay! It will be so nice to walk normally, it’s already great, even just starting to use the cane, because i got to stop using the walker. Normal showers, pleasant walks.

9 Likes

Great to hear @autumnsdad1990

2 Likes

Glad to hear you are on the mend @autumnsdad1990, funny how we under appreciate “normal showers” until we can’t have one.

3 Likes

SnowBlind Black Sabbath

4 Likes

You ain’t kidding. As much add i appreciate my girl helping me clean up, it ain’t as glorious as it sounds😂

2 Likes