What song pushed you into picking up bass?

It’s kind of the other way around for me: ever since I started learning to play bass, I’m paying more attention to the bass line in music. Here’s one I particularly like:
https://youtu.be/hmbOLTWggXI

6 Likes

Great bass line @Mike_NL,
Simon Gallop is a great player👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

mine were definitely Longview and Welcome to Paradise by Green Day, the bass is sooooooo good in those

2 Likes

That one is a lot of fun to play! That song and A Forest are my two favorite Cure songs, and some of the first songs I tried learning after getting my bass.

3 Likes

Wtf I’ve never seen Robert Smith without the hair and makeup

3 Likes

Seventeen Seconds era Cure, by far my favorite :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Rush…Red Barchetta…

3 Likes

robert_smith_ben_affleck
Who is whose discount version?

3 Likes

:open_mouth: :joy::rofl:

1 Like

The entire Kansas Leftoverture album, Carry On Wayward Son, specifically.

2 Likes

Not really a song as such. For me necessity, I was in a band that needed a bassist. But Stanley Clarke and Jaco turned me on to the potential of the instrument

3 Likes

PamPurrs, I doubt Ginger would have gotten along with any bassist to be honest

2 Likes

Tool- schism
Nirvana -lounge act
The cure- jumping someone else’s train
Rhcp- aeroplane

Not in any order,but before then I was always focused on guitar riffs,then it just snowballed. I still love rhythm guitar ,but bass is the thing that makes my body move

4 Likes

As a old school hip-hop head, you can say I generally prefer a good thump on what I listen to, and some of the old school rap had lots of Funk samples in it too. As I evolved musically I generally leaned towards bands with a prominent bass player by nature (Metallica, RHCP, Tool) or ones whose guitarist played pretty scooped (James Hetfield has entered the chat…). A lot of the times, I couldn’t really tell you it was a bass, I just like how hard the Riffs hit.
Wife encouraged me to put the Xbox controller down, and get a cheap bass to start since I would always mention different bass lines, and here I am now. Fell off the wagon for a bit (too exhausted from work, but just got back into it).

5 Likes

I saw the WHO open for Herman’s Hermits in 1968, John Entwistle was, and still is, my inspiration. The song was My Generation, he played a lot of 3 finger plucks.

3 Likes

Back in the 1996 when I heard this two bands for the first time I thought to myself: "these are the most badass sounding basses I’ve ever heard…long story short it took only 24 years for me to finally buy one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuO3wwLuF0w

5 Likes

For Me, I’d say it’s a tie between Jeff Belin with Bill Bruford playing Sample and Hold
and Jaco’s Donna Lee.

2 Likes

It’s gotta be this one, this particular song where someone pumped up the bass.

I had heard “Orion” before, but not this way. Couldn’t believe they mixed the bass so low in the original track. It kicks serious ass.

A few months later, I bought my first bass, and here I am now.

8 Likes