What strings are you playing? POLL

I think you will be very pleased with the results @JerryP. Keep in mind, you’re going to have to fiddle with the position of that floating bridge and also make minor adjustment to the action. Very minor though.

5 Likes

Yeah, I totally blame you for my flats. Seriously. But… thanks! :smiley:

5 Likes

Yeah, I know. I went through that when I installed the heavy gauge LaBella’s about 7 months ago.

4 Likes

Nickel Roundwounds, they’re what came on the bass. However, since I’m an aspiring rock and metal bassist that brighter sound is what I’m after anyway.

7 Likes

I accidentally voted for nickel roundwounds when I have nickel flatwounds … oops!

6 Likes

@beckyh76 no problem, you can click the “Show vote” button next to the poll and change your vote.

Welcome to the community, by the way :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I use the light nickel roundwounds of Ernie Ball!
Love the sound, in the beginning it’s a bit bright, but they don’t need tuning frantically after every practice and they seem they getting old nicely in tone.
I also voted, just wanted to share my 0.2c :smiley:

3 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

Do I get a vote for all my basses as individuals or just the 1 vote for the lot :thinking:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Rules say “type of strings on majority of your basses”, Brian :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Hey, I don’t make the rules (oh, wait, I actually did… :wink:)…

Maybe there should be a separate poll for people owning 10+ basses :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I have found that the Ernie Ball cobalt flats do a heck of a job making my basses sound the way that I think they should. Just one man’s opinion. Granted I have yet to try every type of string out there.

5 Likes

I missed voting in the poll but that’s ok. I have roundwounds on my EB MM bass and flatwounds on my Fender fretless. I honestly say I LOVE the flatwounds, as they’re so smooth and my fingers love to slide up and down the neck with them haha. After playing them for a few days, then going back to the EB MM, the roundwounds felt like razorblades haha.

6 Likes

Poll says it closes in 3 days. Click on the “show vote” to cast.

I just changed mine to Half-Rounds as I just put them back on and think I prefer it.

6 Likes

I might put some flatwounds on my EB MM bass. I really like the feel of them

7 Likes

I’m keeping rounds on my Ibanez, but I think I’m going flats for my jazz.

6 Likes

I have flats on my EB MM @Retta75,
I wouldn’t put anything but flats on my basses now.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I placed a “tuning” order on some better accessories for my Squier and also wanted to learn and experience changing strings. … Bass strings aren’t cheap :O, so I went for the middle ground recommendation in the shop, ERNIE BALL NICKEL WOUND, and I can see it was a good recommendation. Nice.

2 Likes

Alright, I guess this wraps up the poll! Thanks to all 105(!) that have voted - great turnout!! From that alone, I think we claim to have a statistically relevant sample from this forum, keeping in mind that there are more beginners/intermediate players than seasoned pros here.

In any case, the “raw data” is here, and you are all welcome to draw your own conclusions (if any). Just remember, this was no competition, just a way to collect data!

Personally, I am surprised to find that almost 30% play flatwounds - I would have thought this number to be lower (again: without any judgement, just my (obviously wrong) gut feeling). I am also a bit surprised to have almost 10% check “not sure/haven’t made up my mind yet”, but that is probably very well correlated with the fact that many of us are still exploring different options.

If anyone wants do to a similar poll in, say, 6-12 months from now, that might be interesting!

11 Likes

Same! I think the community here definitely trends more towards flats than the general population.

7 Likes

You must be getting old. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes