What strings is everyone using?

I love the DR strings. Fat Beams or Low Riders for when it needs to be full on grindy and bright (Steel wrap on hex core or round core) and then Sunbeams for a slightly mellower tone (nickel wrap on steel core).

2 Likes

My EBMM Caprice came with Ernie Ball Super Slinky’s. I really like the tones I can get out of them, especially by messing around with with pup volumes.

2 Likes

It’s been a long time since we had any traffic on this topic. I thought I would resurrect it and see if we have any new opinions going around.

:arrow_up: This was my big takeaway.

Other than that, does anybody have any favorites or anything they refuse to use?

1 Like

Fed Ex just dropped off a set of D’Addario NYXL 45/130 today. they will be going on my Ibanez SR1805. I’ll report back when I get them on. I don’t expect any earth shattering epiphanies. I’m a tone snob but not really a string snob for some reason.

2 Likes

Curious how they stack up against normal D’Addario nickel rounds. I really like them and they are more than bright enough for me. I’ve seen the NYXLs but had no idea if they would be worth the extra.

1 Like

I’ll be putting a set of LaBella 760FHBB flatwounds on the Hofner this weekend so I’ll let you know how they sound.

Ha.

€4.44.
For a set.

Laughed all the way to the checkout.

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting with some different strings, but I miss those Elixir Nanoweb roundwounds I originally had! Maybe it’s just 'cuz I got so used to them, but they just feel right when comparison shopping!

1 Like

recently changed to DR Lo-Rider stainless steel, love the slap sound and the sustain and growl these produce

1 Like

D’Addario nickel round wound, in various gauges depending on the bass and the tuning. but I’m mostly on the light side, gauge-wise. I used those strings on my guitars (and then I’m not at all on the light side) for decades, I like the sound and the feel under the fingers, so I have no reason to change.

… except maybe if I get one day a vintage-style Precision Bass, and then, yes, I will think about a Labella or Rotosound set …

1 Like

I recently tried GHS Pressurewounds and love them. I’m slowly changing all my basses to have them.

2 Likes

I will put them on this weekend and put some mileage on them then report.

1 Like

I’m with @tebmeb, GHS Pressurewounds are where it’s at.

1 Like

I put some Ernie Ball cobalt flats on my fretless and like them so much I will lyrically put them on my SR1305 as well. I also really like DR Highbeams.

1 Like

My next set of strings for my Yamaha are Peter Hook signature Elites:

gotta love that .060 G string.

The problem is my D’Addarios on there are still fine and I would hate to change them.

1 Like

@howard: Shame on you! I clicked your link, scrolled down and saw GDAE, and said “Wow! Peter Hook used 5ths tuning!” I immediately started searching the internet looking for information and/or interviews about his take on 5ths since I’ve been experimenting with it for the last week. My search turned up absolutely nothing. Then I went back to your link and realized the what I had seen wasn’t the tuning but rather the string gauges listed thin to thick. I guess that’s what I get for reading the forums before my morning coffee is finished brewing. :smiley:

4 Likes

Hah! Sorry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Squier modified short scale jaguar came with roundwound strings. They sounded too bright for my taste. So I switched to the D’addario ECB81S 45-100 short scale flat wounds. I’m digging the way they feel and the mellow tone.
Cheers every one

1 Like

I feel like this is going to sound weird, but I’m really liking the DR HI-DEF NEON strings. I had a pair on my GSR200 (which I traded in). I ended up putting on another pair on my Fender. Something about the texture that I like… I mean, the colors are cool, too :rofl: (Next set is going to be green, as soon as I can find a purple pick guard I like to make my Joker Bass)

I did have some D’Addario ECB84 Chromes (40’s) on it for a hot minute, which I also loved!

1 Like

I’m generally a pretty subdued person. I don’t know if I could do the neon strings but I definitely see the attraction.

The idea that people hear as much with their eyes as they do with their ears seems to be a good selling point for them. For people to be able to see the strings all bright and vibrating seems like it would give one more way to draw the listener into the performance.

1 Like