What was the first song you learned on bass all the way through?

Up around the bend CCR and the remake version by Hanio Rocks.

6 Likes

To be honest its probably a toss up between The wall by Pink Floyd. or sitting on the dock of a bay by Otis Redding. I learned them both in the same general time frame. But if I had to pick the most fun one I’ve learnt to play. it would be The elephant riders by Clutch, or The devil went down to Georgia by Charlie Daniels band.

5 Likes

I know that one :+1:

4 Likes

Jack the Ripper - Morrisey

4 Likes

I wouldn’t dare to say that I got it 100% perfect, but I did have a couple of decent run throughs of Bonnie Tyler’s Total Eclipse of the Heart. :grin:

Also, +1 on Disorder by Joy Division. Still struggling a bit to get it up to the right tempo, though. Especially that one bar. Those who tried probably know what I mean. :wink:

5 Likes

Yup! I actually just posted an example of it at the end of this overdrive test :slight_smile:

That descending bit at the end of that clip is pretty hard for me at tempo, especially as it pops right back up to the G string.

There’s also the bit in the outro that is interesting.

Every tab I ever found for this was also done in a more challenging way than necessary and some were just wrong.

3 Likes

Don’t worry about Bonny Tyler guilt. I still occasionally play “ Holding on for a hero”:joy:

7 Likes

Oh, I’m not worrying. I enjoy my cheesy 80s with pride. :grinning:

Exactly. That, and not running out of steam for three minutes.

8 Likes

Running out of steam is something I’ve encountered twice over the last couple of days attempting the dreaded Billy Jean in its entirety ( no I don’t know why but it seemed like a good idea at the time) and “ The Number of the Beast” by Iron Maiden. How Steve Harris plays a full playlist is quite amazing!

5 Likes

It was “Psycho Killer” by Talking Heads for me . . . I like to think I play it just like the original, but my technique can always use improvement :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

11 Likes

we obviously need a cover to figure out, Joe @Jazzbass19 :grin:

… and I did not answer myself, I think it could have been Nervous by Brassy. we used to play this song with Kernel Panic as an interlude, at the time I was the guitar player but we swapped our instruments for two songs, so I played this song with the bass.

6 Likes

“Pour Some Sugar on Me” by Def Leppard (via Rocksmith). It’s a pretty simple bass line, but the fact that I could play an entire song that I liked was encouraging.

8 Likes

@emme

Haha, yes, so far all I play are simple bass lines (even for my original songs) but that is one thing I love about this bass journey so far. I can play simple stuff but at the same time try to do it well, keep good timing, and have fun- but in the end, I’m actually making music!

9 Likes

I love playing this ! Awesome band too. A lot of their stuff is not too hard to cover.

5 Likes

Dirty Magic, by Offspring. I will stand by that song forever :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Breed, by Nirvana.
It was a moment I’ll never forget.
Figuring out for the first time how to play music I was listening to. I cracked open the biggest musical door ever. Totally magical.

10 Likes

I guess it was the same as yours for me, @lee_editorial… or perhaps “Roxanne”… or “Walking on the Moon”… in any case a song by the Police!

7 Likes

I have been trying to remember the first song I played in its entirety for the last week.
I think it was “the Eagles” Lyin Eyes, or Try and love again.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Ain’t it terrible when you get old ? :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

yeah my 87 year old father says.
“getting old ain’t for pussies”
I think he borrowed it from George Carlin

5 Likes