What was the first song you learned on bass all the way through?

He’s not wrong @T_dub !

3 Likes

I know, I am feeling it daily.

3 Likes

Dire Straits…Sultans of Swing!

7 Likes

‘Blitzkrieg Bop’ by Ramones- all 4 notes. 1-2-3-4!

7 Likes

Classic tune :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Finding that fourth one (B) was a revelation!

6 Likes

That may sound weird but… the one song I actually completely learned to play through from start to finish so I can repeat it was one of the band I joined.

It’s not that I never played any song from start to finish before but I never had the motivation to actually play and practice until I nail it. Or I’ve seen it as too easy to even bother - although in hindsight I should have just to practice remembering the form of a song.

It’s a bit infuriating that every thing that I left out from the things Josh recommends has come to bite me afterwards.

So: Listen to Josh. He gives good and well thought out advice.

10 Likes

@Holly.S

That specific song title does not ring a bell, but I
LOVE old offspring! I’m old, but it was one of those bands my son was into at the time that I got into as well. (Along with Weezer, Sum41, etc)

6 Likes

Old Offspring actually predates both of those bands. This song is from their second album, Ignition, released in 1992. Most people don’t seem to know that their first came out in 1989 - it’s one of my favorites. Look up the song though, if you’re interested, it’s a hidden gem!

5 Likes

Okay kids. I learned these three songs at about the same time: Gloria (by Them, featuring a very young Van Morrison), Twist and Shout (Beatles version) and Louie, Louie by the Kingsmen.

These songs all had one thing in common, aside from being released in the mid-60’s: They consisted of 3 chords each, which was about all my band could handle, since we could barely play our instruments. Hell, we could barely tune our instruments.

We compensated for our lack of ability by playing really loud. Rehearsals often ended prematurely with a visit from the local police.

If it had been a decade later we probably would have been considered a punk rock band.

7 Likes

All My Loving - The Beatles

5 Likes

Obligatory Cage joke:

9 Likes

Well, he should have practiced more… he clearly messed up and played this much slower than supposed to… :crazy_face:

7 Likes

Had to look that one up. Guess I’ll die a little less dumb :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

And She Was by Talking Heads. The bass line in the bridge was very challenging for me at the time! This was before BassBuzz changed my life.

6 Likes

Stevie Wonder’s I wish :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

First song I played through is With or without you from the first 50 songs, pretty easy :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Down by the River by Neil Young

6 Likes

Hi Chris @Krescht
Straight 8s, 4 notes, Adam Clayton sure knows how to lay down a simple yet effective bass line.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @rachelhopps

4 Likes