What was the first song you learned on bass all the way through?

One of my top 5 (in no particular order as that would be unfair, like having a favorite son/daughter) fave bands right there. The Hooky head butt is key to the Hooky sound :joy:

4 Likes

So good. They have been more or less my favorite band since the '80s.

3 Likes

First full song: Save A Prayer, Duran Duran

6 Likes

Toto - Africa
It took me 2-3 weeks to learn. Sort of. :thinking:

7 Likes

Then “come on come over” with sam&dave, jaco and herbie. Still trying lol.
You bass wonders like it fat ? Try Holly-wuud, Turn around and U-turn around (miles davis complete on the corner sessions), and maybe MD, third number of Miles in Montreal 1973 DVD: Bob Berg soprano chorus makes me cry each and every time (Darryl Jones and John Scoffield too ^_^)

3 Likes

You guys might like George Duke’s Reach for it and Son of reach for it as well :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Everything on this recommended list is so, so sick. Great shouts here.

5 Likes

You mean something like duck my sick ?

2 Likes

Hello everyone. Dancing to Stevie Wonder’s “I wish” bass line sounded like a good exercise to start practicing and get familiar with the neck although 40 years after the album was released (my response time was always very slow :turtle:). Then, Jaco’s Come on come over. Funny how 40 years later Josh funk box lessons recommend to bang on the one :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Fleetwood Mac, Go your own Way.

4 Likes

Them Changes, by Buddy Miles.

https://youtu.be/w05CYrXe4p4

5 Likes

My first 3 songs I learnt properly were Teenage Kicks, Cocaine and Hey Joe. Played them all in my first ever live performance at a local jam night…the. Lockdown happened :frowning:

7 Likes

Ironically my first song on bass was an original. The scariest part is the fact that I was a lead guitarist for our band and we were in the studio in 2003 when our bassist quit the night before we went into record. I used the bass from the producer learned our songs in the studio and then recording. It was a bit rushed lol

4 Likes

Yes! +1 A great first song and I play it all the time, never bores me!

2 Likes

Well, if it counts, it was the first song I “mastered” on Rocksmith (you play along with the track, but the “note indicators” (which are their equivalent of tab) go away) - Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones. 95-98% of it is on the 5th and 7th frets of the E and A strings. I haven’t yet learned a song all the way through via a more “traditional” method…

5 Likes

Zombie by The Cranberries ,this live version is spine chillingly good
https://youtu.be/7nKZt8uz9ZM

8 Likes

If we’re talking bass guitar; I’ll let you know when it happens. :rofl:

Probably the first song I could play cleanly on a six string acoustic was “Night Moves” by Bob Segar.

The last one I learned before I took a long break was ‘1979’ by Smashing Pumpkins. That one was a real workout for me because I was losing my motivation to play.

I always felt that with anything, if you’re not enjoying what you do, the work becomes arduous and insufferable. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Agree 100%

5 Likes

Chameleon by Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters.

I’m a huge fan of funk and fusion, this tune is like the ultimate funkiness you can play and somehow I always felt it shouldn’t be that difficult to play, so I went for it. Now, after some 9 months of toying with my bass I can approximately play it with all the syncopation, mutings and riffs involved (this includes bass and keyboard parts, as the main synth bass riff is quite simple).

I love playing it every day before taking the next B2B lesson, and somehow aim at one day being able to do something like this… :

Here in a simpler b&d version, but funkier all the way! :metal:

https://youtu.be/i38AcL--FiY

5 Likes

I just stumbled upon this trio bass version, love it! :star_struck:

2 Likes