What was the first song you learned on bass all the way through?

Way beck in the ancient times of the 80’s, there was a weekly classified advertised publication here in Southern California (probably other places if not all throughout California, OR the States, called The Recycler. Much like CraigsList, but in print, once a week.
I used to buy surfboards, wetsuits, guitars, aquariums, etc… from it.
So when he says he posted an add in The Recycler, that is what he meant.
But the point is, that you already touched on from the beginning was
He flew home from London after a concert and got in contact with James to start Metallica, so either way, you already captured the important part.

4 Likes

The Megadeth Behind the Music was a really interesting way to hear about early Metallica from Dave’s POV. You can check that out on Youtube. I’m pretty good with my Metallica history, but some of what he had to say was new insights on how the guys came to be (for me at least).

And the first song I played all the way through on bass was ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’, weirdly enough. I’m sure I didn’t get it all right, but as Dee Murray basslines for Elton John songs go, it’s one of his easier ones. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

For some reason I fell like I need to watch that, even tho I am not sure I want to. :wink:
I am just being sarcastic, but I would kind of take Mustain’s story with a grain of salt, as he seems to have been tormented by the whole thing.

3 Likes

It’s more of the same. :wink: You exit that story with the impression Dave’s got a lot of demons and a bad childhood to deal with… But it’s hard to shake the feeling that he’s not the hero in his own story.

3 Likes

Dave Mustaine and Angus Young are two guys I take with huge doses of salt, because they change their stories. I think they are wonderful talents and am a big fan, but they do spin a tale now and again.

Glad Dave is better and in good health and look forward to seeing them again. Ellefson seems to be imploding, but drama is par for the course with Megadeth.

4 Likes

Exactly why I find it very hard to pay much attention to Megadeath. Sad but true ( hold on , that was Metallica :joy:)
Strangely I want to hear my musical heroes play and fill my life with great music and awe not with problems. I have enough of my own lol.
I understand some people will benefit from comparisons with their heroes and their lives.Selfishly music is my escape from all crap that is life

3 Likes

I don’t get wrapped up in the drama. I am a Yes fan going on 50 years, and if you know that group there was a lot of churn over time, so I let go of all that.

There are some folks whose antics I don’t have time for, and don’t pay attention to though.

4 Likes

Yeah, I watched it.
I was suprised to like it more then I thought. I mean I did like it, and not just to get the information, it just makes it easier for me to relate to him and see where he was coming from.
I do think he kind of “plays the victim”, and musically, he got very boring to me, but then again, so did Metallica.
I LOVE Slayer, and Anthrax. I can go back and listen to Anthrax any old time, and be fully into it. They are probably the most versatile, musically of the big 4, and they have a really RAW and unrefined sound that I really dig.
Anthrax is to Speed Metal / Thrash, what The Vandals are to punk rock, and I love The Vandals, but if I really want to listen to some heavy Metal music, I turn to Slayer and Pantera. Those are good Gym albums.

Dave, after watching that, is pretty transparent. What I mean is, he can put what ever twist or spin on things, and you can pretty much see the truth directly thru him. I am not judging him, and I now feel like he is more REAL (even if he is being fake) because it was more then just hearing about things, and you can see the pain and torment in him, which shrinks him down to normal size. I can directly relate to much of his story, less the fame and fortune, more like they were before they had money, like Dave Ellefson was PRIOR to Rehab.

As far as AC/DC, I don’t know much anything about them, other then their music.
I recently watched a segment from a YouTube channel “Rock n Roll Stories” about “the mysterious death of Bon Scott”. I love Brian Johnson, but I like Bon better, AND I never knew anything about his death.
I have never really seen any interviews with any of them, so I don’t know.

I would never call them my Hero’s. Mine are dead, so they can’t cause anymore problems. :wink:
Yeah, There are a couple bands that I don’t like, because of the singer, or founder being a total douche bag, so I get what you are saying, but I have become alot more tolerant in my later years, and even have gotten past a few, to the point I may even give them a chance again. Only one I can even think of right now is Mike Ness, but I am sure there are others.
So, basically

Yeah, if anything, I don’t pay attention to…

3 Likes

To the original question : comfortably numb

3 Likes

Yeah. Ness is one of those guys that went through a phase where he was a total shitheel. He’s pretty open about it, and seems to have come around sometime around the very late '80s, but if you knew him before that, I can see where the opinion would come from.

I respect him a lot for getting through it and the direction Social D ended up going. But the black hole days sound real bad.

3 Likes

Thing is I seem to remember being a bit of an arrogant jerk when I powdered my nose regularly I sort of get it lol
I’m a good boy now :joy:

4 Likes

Yeah, that was a little less regularly (just a little less) for me, I wanted “to be Great”, and Gus told Dave how to be great.

3 Likes

Glad you gave it a go. Couldn’t have said it better. :+1:

You need this shirt I found :smiley:

6 Likes

I did knid of chuckle when he was talking about the time they played together and he saw Kirk Hammett and said, “this is the guy they replaced me with?” and “I guess he is ok for the little talent he has”. What a dick. LOL

I do think it was fucked that Metallica put his material on their furst album. IMHO, if you boot somebody, you can’t steal their shit BEFORE it is in print. If they would have kicked him after it was on an album, then oh well, but pretty shitty for them to do that.

3 Likes

Right? Make no mistake – Dave’s put in the work as a guitarist, and yeah, I’m sure there was a time that Kirk wasn’t as seasoned… But that’s a Guitar Center tough-guy approach to musicianship. People don’t want to work with ‘that guy’.

3 Likes

I must say that I LOVE THESE @howard I was squealing all the way down as I was scrolling lmao XD

I don’t know if I remember correctly, I think this was the number one whole song for me. Yes very intense, very hard song tongue in cheek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGgMZpGYiy8

4 Likes

Wagon Wheel

6 Likes

For me, it was also Zombie from the Cranberries.
That bassline works quite well to start out easy, just play the root note as 8th notes, then work it up to play all the right notes but still ignore the occasional 16th notes.
Last step: bring in the 16th notes.

My next bassline was Where is my Mind from the Pixies. Quite similar, also if you start out leaving out the 8ths here, this is very easy to learn.

8 Likes

@T_dub and before Joy Divison they were Warsaw, great band but not for everyone they are very upbeat and cheerful so if that’s not your bag you might want to try The Cure :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The Warsaw album is actually awesome, love it. Bummer there was only one.

(they eventually released it because people had been circulating bootlegs for decades :slight_smile: )

1 Like