What was your second bass? (assuming your first one was an entry level one)

I agree 100%.

Anytime I have helped someone select an instrument we go to a music store and select several instruments that appeal to them - regardless of the prices.

That usually takes care of the looks department.

Then they will noodle around with them for a while to get a feel for the instruments.
If one stands out over the others that is the one to buy. That is the playability taken care of.
I always like to check if there are upgraded versions of the same instrument and whether the upgrade(s) are worth it or not.

IMHO any other instrument will only be a compromise and in the end the chances are they will end up buying it anyways, and the compromise will either be left to collect dust or sold off.

Now the only issue left is pricing. If their choice is above their paygrade I tell them they should just save up until they can afford it. Back in the day I would get a part-time job for the extra money. It doesn’t take long. Worked for me, except when I purchased the TRBX304 but I just moved on and got the 504 2 weeks later.:+1:

2 Likes

This has never been an issue for me. My wife, of 51 years this April, has always been supportive of my musical purchases.

I only purchase instruments I enjoy and will play. Reselling never occurs to me.

I really do understand what you are saying and those are your opinions and choices to make. As I have said many times - like learning to play Bass, as long as you are happy and enjoy what you are doing everything else is secondary, at least IMHO. :+1:

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought I was getting a cheapie and prepared for the worst.

However, there were some pretty decent reviews on Amazon (one guy even did a video explaining all the ins and outs of this bass) as well as some good reviews on the Tubes.

For $180 CAD shipped to my door, I couldnt complain. The fretwork was excellent, no gaps between the neck and body, the setup out of the box was good, and the electronics were fine. The strings were crap, but I put some GHS precisiona on it and it sounded fab. Eventually, I changed the pups to SPB-4 (SH sig) and a knockoff hi-mass bridge. It was a very decent bass overall.u

2 Likes

Second bass was a Gibson ES-Les Paul Bass. Short-scale, flat-wound strings, two humbucker pickups, semi-hollow body–pretty much the opposite of the entry-level Ibanez that was my first (and only) bass for over a decade before I purchased it. Nails that vintage sound! Loved it so much I got one for me and one for my twin brother. Only made in 2016 (I think), very difficult to find these days. Used ones are selling for almost 4x what I paid for it.

12 Likes

Very cool, @micklerd.

3 Likes

My first was back in my previous bass incarnation at high school. As far as I remember it was a candy apple red Aria Pro 2 XRB which stuck with me for many years until I had to leave the country in a hurry (long story heh heh). The last thing I heard it was in a mate’s attic somewhere .

Returning to bass many years later, my first was an Ibanez sr300e (way lighter and higher specced than the Aria) and this was followed by a Rickenbacker 4003. All of them fine basses in their own way

3 Likes

I went about as far away from my first bass with my second bass as I could… not out of spite or anything, but because I wanted to explore.

My first was a standard P clone (4 strings, 21 frets, passive). My second was a 5-string with two soap bar pickups AND a piezo pickup in the bridge, 24 frets, 35 inches, active (and active only) - a Yamaha TRB5Pii

I got it used and still paid approximately three times as much as what I paid for my beginner bass. It was like going from a Jeep to a Mercedes - both have their uses, but the Yamaha was just so much more refined - in the craftsmanship and the materials, in the tone shaping, in the playability. It opened my eyes for what other types of basses are “out there”.

But, in the end, it depends on what you want to play on your bass. While the Yamaha is super versatile, I might not want to play punk or death metal on it or with it… (just like I wouldn’t take the Merc off road :grin:)

4 Likes

Could not agree more.

When I decided to get involved with Bass just over two years ago the first thing I did was check out the Yamaha lineup. I did not look or consider any others. Why -because I have purchased Yamaha guitars,and a couple of keyboards, over the last 40 years and never had any issues. I was delighted to find that their product quality and customer service was just as good, if not better, now, as it was back then.
Just sayin :+1: :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

First bass was an Ibanez GSR200 from FB marketplace. It came with a guitar amp (ya I know… :laughing: ), cable, and stand for $250. I didn’t really gel with it and after seeing Josh’s video where they recommended against that particular model I thought it would be time to upgrade. So, I traded the bass + amp in for said upgrade.

I originally looked at Squiers but ended up getting a Fender Player Jazz Bass in buttercream. I still enjoy playing it!

3 Likes

my second bass was (and still is) this one :grin:

10 Likes

Regardless of my love and praise for Yamaha products please do not take what I say the wrong way.
There is nothing wrong in picking a different manufacturer as long as you get what you want and are happy with your purchase.

2 Likes

Wow @terb ! That’s a fine looking instrument.

3 Likes

'can’t disagree :grin:

4 Likes

Go Greenie!

4 Likes

Speaking of guitars, Yamaha semi hollow guitars are unbelievably awesome. They sound incredible.

2 Likes

I like your backdrops better than the ubiquitous rug :wink:

3 Likes

Started with a Fender Jazz. One I hit all the checkpoints on Josh’s “Are You Intermediate” video, I rewarded myself with a Spector NS Dimension.

Fun story on my first bass: My dad played in an impressively popular band in the 60s. He was known for being able to play bass and piano at the same time. I had seen some pictures of him in the band when I was much MUCH younger but don’t remember much about them.

I bought my Fender because, well, it matched the look and color of an older Stratocaster that I owned. No other reason. When I showed it to my dad, he said “that’s the bass I played”. Apparently, without really being conscious of it, I bought the exact make, model and color of bass he played back in the day. This Fender is now infinitely more special to me and I will be treasuring it for the rest of my life.

So, when I bought my 2nd bass, I wanted something that was drastically different from the Fender for fun reasons but versatile enough in sound to be able to emulate the Jazz tone so that, if I ever have to carry it someplace, I don’t risk messing up the super special bass.

Then I made the mistake of trying out a Spector Dimension in a store and was like “well, are mortgage payments really that important?”

The active electronics on it, combined with the awesome pickups and ability to swap to single coils means I can quickly dial in a sound that is almost indistinguishable from the Jazz. At the same time, I adore the ergonomics of the fanned frets.

The collection:

Close up of the Spector:

12 Likes

:100:

2 Likes

First bass was Yamaha TRBX304. Second bass was a BB734A. I still have it and absolutely love this bass. I play it constantly. The TRBX is gone. I do have 3 other basses

• Sterling Stingray with Aguilar pickup. Killer for RATM music. Tone is awesome
  • Sire P5 with Fender pickups and flats. Feel is amazing.
  • Fender MIA Jazz Ultra. Tone and feel is amazing as well.

I really do pick up all 4 during a 1 week timespan. Makes me want to play different stuff during the week.

2 Likes

5 Likes