What was your second bass? (assuming your first one was an entry level one)

The same can be said for their acoustic guitars. I purchased an APTX600 a year ago and am completely happy with it. Ranked up there with the Martins at a fraction of the price.

1 Like

I love the tone and functionality of the SLG 100n my small complaint is the lack of a place to put my plugging hand pinky finger, lol.

The 200n is perfect.

1 Like

My second bass was a MIA Precision bass. It’s similar to the greenie @terb has but with a maple neck. Dunno why but it’s the best bass I own, lots of ppl ask me if I want to sell it :joy:

3 Likes

My first bass was a Yamaha BB434, which was ok, but it shipped with a couple of high frets, and the pickups were a little underwhelming. At that time I wasn’t comfortable enough to fix the frets myself (I thought I was the reason my bass was buzzing), and had planned to upgrade the pickups. I really wasn’t interested in sinking more money into the Yammie, instead I ended up selling it locally and bought an MIA Fender P. It arrived in perfect working condition, which made playing a better experience. A well setup bass is important as a beginner, since at that time you are struggling with technique, coordination, and muscle memory. As others have mentioned, there a ton of great options for under $1K, and I think being able to try before you buy is essential. I know that is not an option for all, but as you progress you will learn what you like and identifying whether or not a bass is good for you will start to come quickly.

3 Likes

Definite bummer. The sad thing is this is very easy to fix but yes, well beyond what any beginner is going to do. I am glad I can do it now though.

Pickup issue might have just been height too. Generally Yamaha makes stellar pickups.

1 Like

My first bass was a short-scaled gresch. I sold it for a Fender p bass.

3 Likes

I also started on a TRBX174 that I got used . I usually buy reputable but cheap things when I start a new hobby. It did just fine and I was happy with it.

The second bass I got was not because I needed/wanted an upgrade, but because I needed a smaller bass.

I work as a paramedic and I wanted to practice at work when we have some downtime. I needed a bass I could bring with me and that would fit in our ambulance side compartment.

I ended up getting a Traveler Guitar bass (TB-4P), used. It’s a 32" scale, 22 frets in a small body and weight.
I wasn’t going for better electronic or sound, just the size and weight.

It comes with interesting features for practicing on the go like a headphone out and aux in (to play along to a track) which I end up using daily.

What I realized later is that I end up picking it up even when I’m home (over the 174) because of the smaller size and significantly lighter weight.

That’s to say, the ergonomics makes it so I can play for longer and my fingers and shoulders don’t fatigue as fast.

I have no experience with really good bases like many of the others. I don’t have enough time to play to justify spending more money on this hobby. But I’m really happy I got my second bass as it literally makes me able to
play more than I otherwise would have. (longer practice sessions and at work)

So, while my experience is very limited, I’m a huge fan of feel and playability as a factor in choosing your next one.

2 Likes

I have only one bass. The first one I bought was a Fender P. Am I the only person here with just one?

2 Likes

We all had only one at some point. :wink:

2 Likes

The following is my 50 years bass history…glad no one has asked about guitars! :rofl:

Well, my first bass was a Hondo P-bass bought in the 80’s! Then I purchased an Ibanez…don’t remember the model, but it was beautiful with Maple Birdseye top, loved that bass. Stopped playing for about 10 years (kids) and sold off all my gear. Then I bought a Yamaha BB1500a… played for about 5 years and stopped again. Then during Covid I got back into playing and bought a Yamaha TBX 604FM, nice bass, but missing something, so, last year I bought a Fender American Pro II P-Bass. The Fender is the best bass I have ever played…simply love it.

4 Likes

I bet you are not the only one. Though I have two right now since last December, it might just as well be the only one, as I only played that one in that time.
I guess am just not a multi bass person.

First one: Yamaha TRBX 304.
Second one: Ibanez SR4FMDX.

What the second one does better that the first one didn’t have so much: More growl which just fits my preferences more.
But I have to admit, though the second one was much more expensive: The Yamaha doesn’t really feel cheaper in any way, still a great bass to start out on and will carry a beginner a very long way.

I must admit that I am thinking of getting a second bass. Trying to decide between the Yamaha BB734a, and the TRBX 604FM. And with all of the recent chat about Warwicks, possibly one of them.

Having owned both I can totally recommend either, they are both fantastic instruments.

I’ve only got the one currently, but am saving up to buy a 5 string kit that resembles an Ibanez SR

Thanks Howard, and they both look good too.

1 Like

My first Bass was a Concerto the I got in the mid/late 70’s played it for 3 or 4 years then high school hit and other things took over my time. Fast forward 40 years, one brain tumor and the COVID pandemic has me with more free time. So I started playing again in 2018 with a Dean Edge (my 2nd Bass). Since then I have picked up a SBMM Stingray, Squire P Bass, and a Harley Benton 5 string I got this Christmas. I sure wish I knew what happened to that Concerto Bass.

Now that you have mentioned custom basses - back in the ‘90s I played in a band of friends (extremely simply - root notes only :joy:) and my main tool was a Fibenare 4-string that I have designed.
Now ~2 weeks ago I decided to actually learn how to play as a badass - hence ended up here. But purchased my “first” bass before reading/watching Josh and ended up with a beautiful Ibanez SR305 that I love. BUT…
I have to admit that requires double effort to find the exactly required string when plucking, so started to look for 4-string basses…. AND asked my friend if he still has my Fibenare, aaaaaaand he does. Since he received it for free (rather unlimited time free borrowing) I asked if I can have it back, hopefully before slap lessons I will have it (promised to be delivered next Sunday, so 7 days to go)! :metal:
Asked for a picture, not perfect but that’s my personal design from ‘97 I believe and will (now) be my second bass:

5 Likes

Love Fibenares. Big congrats!

Thank you - to be honest at that time they were cheaper but considering being at university (that’s how I know the brothers making these, Gyuszi was there at the same time) it costed ~2 months of my money (saved up but full cost of dorm/food/drinks/transportation/etc.); can’t imagine how much it may be worth now.
It’s pretty early generation, I think the electronics could have been (much) better, will see what my friend helped with it in the past ~25 years :wink:

1 Like

Electronics can be upgraded pretty easily. Have fun.

2 Likes