What Would You Like To See In The Next Course

So I’m on track to complete the B2B course in a little over 3 weeks.
My original intention was to build a foundation with these online lessons and then find a local teacher to help me continue to improve.
BUT, not sure if that can happen anytime soon given the ever changing recommendations on social distancing. Seems like there may be a renewed demand for a second course, or at least ‘more’ B2B lessons? Maybe some additional videos with exercises or challenges for current members? How about a live session? I would even just watch Josh (and his band?) play. In hazmat suits of course.
I’m not a marketing guru but I bet you could tease us a little about the next course too.
Just a thought or three.

5 Likes

Josh has a ton of other lessons (intermediate and advanced) on his youtube channel - they just aren’t organized into a course like BassBuzz.

3 Likes

So after some thought here is the plan:
Finish the course in 3 more weeks.
Go back and repeat key lessons BUT this time either practice till I master the fast workout and/or play with the complete song (or as much as a beginner can do).
That should give me another 6-8 weeks at least.
THEN either the next course will be ready or a local instructor will teach me with little fear of getting sick… maybe by the beginning of June.

5 Likes

Sounds like a good plan! And like @howard said, there are a bunch more videos for you to chew on on the BassBuzz Youtube channel now - youtube.com/bassbuzz

3 Likes

@JoshFossgreen Maybe an intermediate course centered around repackaging your YouTube vids? I stumble across them regularly. Sometimes it’s stuff I can use now (or at least be aware of), sometimes it’s way over my head (and just a mental note for the far future). Even though it’s stuff you’ve already made freely available, repackaging it might be worthwhile. A lot of the strength of your instruction is from its organization, and knowing when to introduce a topic. That existing material would be even better if suitably organized, and workouts included.

But you already have a bunch of ideas, and I’m in regardless

6 Likes

@Hondo I thought the same thing so I organized them by associated module here…

BASSBUZZ YOUTUBE VIDEO GUIDE !

8 Likes

@eric.kiser Dude! BRO! You rock! I mean, not as much as our fearless leader… But that was most excellent. Thanks a ton!

4 Likes

And those are just the bassbuzz ones, not the intermediate and advanced ones from his other channel :slight_smile:

Josh has lots of content out there.

4 Likes

Unless I’m missing some, @JoshFossgreen just posted his 200th video on his other channel.

5 Likes

You sure you are not a librarian or something like that, @eric.kiser :rofl:

2 Likes

Wow you’re right! Didn’t catch that at all. Happy two hundred videos to me! :partying_face:

8 Likes

I was getting ready to add my two cents and you beat me to one of them. I’ve been looking for reliable bass tabs and signed up for Jamplay bass. After two lessons, I would have been lost and given up if not for B2B. 1st lesson was these are the parts of a guitar, 2nd lesson major, minor, pentatonic major, p. minor, blues scale and now a 1,4,5 chord progression. Josh I would have given up right there.

5 Likes

I agree with the specialized “seminars” but I need the sophomore level Beyond Beginner: Basics of Badassery first. Many of us aren’t ready for specific disciplines.
Also Josh, if the first measure of a lesson would crossfade to the fifth as we play the third measure then I would be prepared for it. I often would be playing along just fine for four measures then not ready because it didn’t appear till I was already supposed to be playing it.

7 Likes

blues , blues and more blues . slow blues , fast blues , old blues , new blues and of course dirty blues. blues rock , country blues , funk blues. in short , blues. :grin:

7 Likes

So . . . what’s your favorite musical genre, @rj1 ?

Welcome aboard :laughing:

When you get the chance, tell us a little about yourself in Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022) - #1235 by JerryP

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

I’m from the 50-60’s era, love old R/R. At my age little chance of playing with a group, maybe my uke club. I’d like a course, or segment, on playing solo melodies from the old era. Heard a guy do a bass solo of Sound of Silence - Awesome! Really like B2B.

2 Likes

Are there any updates on a possible release of the next course?
Or a decision weather it will be an intermediate course, or if it will be specialized courses?

My thoughts, I think I need another structured course, learning what the instructor thinks a I need to learn on after doing the B2B course.
Then after that, maybe specialized courses.

I also think a practice series would be good.
Either an hour long, follow along practice video.
Or three one hour long practice videos, one for each level, beginner, intermediate, advanced.
Or
A series of 5 30 min videos, one for each day of the week, as play along practice videos, with assignments to learn a song for the other 30-90 minutes the student will practice for the day.

I have practice tab books, and they help, but visual is better, IMO, and I would be more motivated to practice things I otherwise would not, even if they are highly beneficial to my goals.

Also

Lastly

One suggestion to future videos.
I love your Peavey, I like it so much, I covet one😉
But, the color of the head stock leading to the 1st fret makes it look like you are 1-2 frets up the neck at times, and being the visual learner that I am…
A bass with inlays on the fretboard, I think, would help me to follow your fingers on the fretboard much easier.
Just a thought, I know it would help me.

6 Likes

Yes, several people have commented on that . . . Josh has also been using a Squier bass with fret markers to make it easier to see where he’s fretting.

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19. I read a lot of this thread, but not all, and did not see that brought up. I also noticed much of the YT vids with the Squire as well, hoping it makes it in some or all of the future “paid” content as well.:+1:t2:

3 Likes

I don’t know if it has already been mentioned here but I noticed that in a few of the musical bumpers before each lesson @JoshFossgreen will pluck the strings using his thumb. How about a “Thumb Plucking Lesson” or two for the next course?

4 Likes