What Would You Like To See In The Next Course

No. No it’s not.
I am searching for, literally, a friendly barista to serve me free espresso. Every day. It is my quest and my dream.

Bass lessons come and go. Coffee is forever.

7 Likes

Just give me your wife’s email - I’ll have a word with her :smiley::coffee:

3 Likes

Doing this for my partner Nix on a daily basis keeps me from the doghouse! I drink too much coffee!

3 Likes

@JoshFossgreen, as I’ve experimented more trying to play different styles I like, I see that a lot of the players that I would like to emulate use a combination of thumb and finger plucking. I’d definitely like to learn more about that technique.

2 Likes

I have not finished the B2B course yet but I would like to see some complete song tutorials, famous bassline analysis and maybe some short, genre specific courses on things like the blues, ska, jazz, walking bass lines etc

2 Likes

I second this! I really need to see things. I ended up printing all of the lessons so I could get it in my eyes and brain.

1 Like

There is a reason that the visuals were a little less obvious toward the end of the course…

It’s kinda like when you first learned to ride a bicycle and it had training wheels on the rear… As time went on, and more practice took place on that bike, the wheels were adjusted upward until you really didn’t need them anymore. This is what Josh does throughout the course - he keeps lifting and adjusting those training wheels…

When all of us complete the course, we are pretty well equipped to take on much of what’s out there on our own, including being able to understand timing (the beat ruler), tabs and (some) notes (sheet music), etc…

Many times after I first finished the course, I had to make my own beat ruler and make my own sheet music - something I could never do before. I don’t have to do it anymore now, but that’s because of practice, learning on my own, and more practice, practice, practice.

Many of is who have gone through the course once have retaken it again a second time over. I guess what I’m saying (and please forgive me if i sound a bit hardass)… but IMO, training wheels really don’t belong in any advanced course…

Again,… Just my opinion, but… What Josh provided me in the B2B was a great “Boot Camp” that equipped me with the tools and skills to move forward on my own “In the right direction”…

Bottom line - Neither Josh or his course make us “Badass” bass players - he and the course just give us the tools so that we can become our own Badass’s…

Sorry… Hopping iff the soap-box now…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

I’ve always been a terrible auditory learner, but as long as the visual materials are provided as a supplement, then all is well. People learn in different ways.

3 Likes

I would like @JoshFossgreen to come to my house and explain his banana tattoo, and then proceed to give me private lessons and coaching.

I know, I’m dreaming…

2 Likes

I love that kind of stuff! I talk about that in this old Youtube video -

Thanks for the suggestions @studio, that all sounds like good stuff.

I agree with @Lanny to some degree, but I’ve also started incorporating visuals a lot more in recent videos, and would probably continue that trend in future courses, depending on the course (i.e. an ear training course might force you off of visuals on purpose, but a bunch of material on scales would benefit from tons of visuals).

And the banana tattoo explanation is hiding somewhere on a comment page in B2B, @PamPurrs, I don’t remember which lesson. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So now I have to retake the course in order to learn about the banana tattoo. Sounds good to me!

5 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but would love to see ear training course.

5 Likes

I’d love that too @nikkikaine! An undertaught/underappreciate subject.

5 Likes

I’m a little more than halfway through the course and thus far love it all. The only thing I would like to see in the next iteration would be maybe a section dedicated to exercises. There have been a few times (especially starting out) where I found myself challenged by a technical aspect (ie. floating thumb vs. anchor thumb, increasing chugging speed, etc), so I would search YouTube for tips & tricks and lo & behold I would find some of Josh’s older tutorial vids that had really great exercises that helped me get over the hump. The extra technical work really helped me in being able to play music better.

Also… SCALES… need more scales. I’m addicted to learning scales… so invaluable!

6 Likes

I don’t know if there are any tricks or techniques that can be taught but I have never been able to sing and play at the same time.

3 Likes

It’s hard! Taking it super super slow is the starting point. I also find it really helpful to make a grid of both rhythms, and analyze moment by moment whether I am singing, playing, or both at each moment. Some kind of sketchy little chart like this (just a made up example rhythm):

6 Likes

So I’m on track to complete the B2B course in a little over 3 weeks.
My original intention was to build a foundation with these online lessons and then find a local teacher to help me continue to improve.
BUT, not sure if that can happen anytime soon given the ever changing recommendations on social distancing. Seems like there may be a renewed demand for a second course, or at least ‘more’ B2B lessons? Maybe some additional videos with exercises or challenges for current members? How about a live session? I would even just watch Josh (and his band?) play. In hazmat suits of course.
I’m not a marketing guru but I bet you could tease us a little about the next course too.
Just a thought or three.

5 Likes

Josh has a ton of other lessons (intermediate and advanced) on his youtube channel - they just aren’t organized into a course like BassBuzz.

3 Likes

So after some thought here is the plan:
Finish the course in 3 more weeks.
Go back and repeat key lessons BUT this time either practice till I master the fast workout and/or play with the complete song (or as much as a beginner can do).
That should give me another 6-8 weeks at least.
THEN either the next course will be ready or a local instructor will teach me with little fear of getting sick… maybe by the beginning of June.

5 Likes

Sounds like a good plan! And like @howard said, there are a bunch more videos for you to chew on on the BassBuzz Youtube channel now - youtube.com/bassbuzz

3 Likes