Whatcha Watchin'? The TV Thread

Just watched the first season of “3 Body Problem”. I expected soooo much!
Cool story (in the books), some great actors (at least two from “Game of Thrones”), good showrunners (again, from “Game of Thrones”) and a tantalizing start with some science stuff that was in keeping with some things I am working on currently.

Bottom line: it was boring as hell. I could have told that story in 2 episodes, not 10. It’s watchable, but not a TV event…

2 Likes

Yeah - it was kind of an ok scifi for teens. Bit disappointing but they shouldn’t hype these shows up so much.

1 Like

“Scifi for teens” takes about 30 seconds on Tiktok, not 10 hours on the big screen :slight_smile:

1 Like

True, but I’m comparing it with let’s say 2001 or Ad Astra …

"2001 is easily one of my favourite movies. Though - as SciFi - I prefer the original BladeRunner (director’s cut without the stupid voice over) with the wonderful Dutch Actor Rutger Hauer!

Ad Astra didn’t do it for me.

Best scene in movie history:

(from 0:55")

“All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain”

OK, maybe this is the best:

Or is it this?

My gf thinks it is the “Killer on the Dancefloor” scene in Saltburn, for obvious reasons :slight_smile:

It’s NSFW, so I cannot post a video…

1 Like

My latest jam…

Moral Orel

It’s a hoot!

1 Like

Lately,
The Gentleman
Shogun (on FX)
Mr and Mrs Smith (amazon series)
X files (there’s a lot of them)
For All Mankind
Righteous Gemstones

Also watched the Geddy Lee series on paramount about bassists. The episodes about Trujillo and Claypool were probably my favorite…

2 Likes

Excellent show. Guy Richie did good yet again.

Wooties, The Acolyte starts tomorrow.

Because Peace is a lie.

5 Likes

Yay!
But, gotta build them up and binge. Good thing to watch in the new 85” 4k with Dolby Atmos. Woot!

3 Likes

Yeah this is my preferred mode too, watch a whole season in a weekend, but I’ve been waiting for this one.

Netflix spoiled us all I think. I was the same way for a long time. Over the past couple of years, I’ve started appreciating the excitement of having to wait a week for shows that I really like. The last couple of weeks of Shogun were torture and I loved it. This is one I’ve been waiting for, for long time.

An hour to go.

2 Likes

My issue is I forget what happened now, and, more often than not, forget that I am even watching the damn show! lol

3 Likes

Seems to create a bit of controversy already (based on being overly “woke” apparently in topics and especially casting decisions; and no longer true to canon/lore).

Not a SW fan or subscriber to Disney to begin with (so I have no stakes in this), but this apparently already led to a number of cancellations and requests for heads to be rolling…

3 Likes

It’s excellent so far. Star Wars fans are the worst, anything with a strong female protagonist brings out their torches and pitchforks.

They want the jedi to be paladinesque heroes and it really triggers them that maybe, just maybe, the world isn’t black and white.

3 Likes

Have seen the first episode and can confirm that there are all kinds of aliens and genders - as expected from a vast universe with many diferent species and cultures.

Don’t get why gender is an issue. I mean: what gender is R2D2? Everybody loves R2D2, nobody discuss it’s (his? her? don’t care!) bedside manners…

PS A bigger issue is that all Star Wars spin-offs were boring as hell.

I’d rather rewatch “Raised by Wolves”!

3 Likes

Rogue One, Andor, Tales of the Jedi, Tales of the Empire (so far), and Clone Wars were each individually better than the movies IMO. Just really good.

4 Likes

Boooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

1 Like

no

2 Likes

I found “Fallout” better than any Star Wars series! Or “The Last of Us” … though when I want to see Pedro Pascal, I’d rather watch “Narcos”…

3 Likes