Whatcha Watchin'? The TV Thread

No, it actually has to do with exclusive broadcast rights contracts.

Rights to show movies and TV series on a variety of streaming platforms are bought and sold from one entity to another over time. For example, while HBO has produced tons of original content, they recently started selling the exclusive streaming rights to some of their signature shows to streamers like Netflix and Amazon Prime. The same goes for AMC and other content-producing companies. They are capitalizing on their productions by selling limited-time streaming rights. It helps them recoup production costs or, better yet, realize some profitability from their productions.

2 Likes

Ah, I see! Thanks for clarifying that, @MikeC :smile:

It also has to do with $$$ @joergkutter.
Many streaming services recently dropped a TON of programming to save money.
For example - HBO MAX used to have every single episode of every single show they ever produced to stream, it was a selling feature.
No more. Many shows have been dropped to save the almighty dollar and are not available anywhere else.

Then, later on, they can promote putting something back on that should have been there the whole time. Damn marketers and bean counters.

What else is very interesting is what is online in Europe is not the same as USA, etc.
I watched the entire last season of Better Call Saul while in Germany in September becuase it was not streaming here yet and I do not have cable (thank you kind German streaming peoples).

3 Likes

what is this on @booker_t - very interested in checking this out

Amazon Prime. I guess it was initially mentioned here in a March “Marcus Miller Documentary” thread by @Gadget , and the thread was brought back to life last night when @smurillo recommended the documentary.

5 Likes

I want to be able to binge Night Court on some service. The first one to do this gets my $$.

4 Likes

In the immortal words of my IT friend when asked similar things…Google that shit.

It’s on Amazon prime and a free app called freevee. At least in ‘merica

1 Like

Yeah… not in Canuckistan :frowning:

2 Likes

Finishing the Warehouse 13 series tonight, got the last episode left. Probably start season 1 of Picard after that.

3 Likes

It’s SCTV and Schitt’s Creek for you then!

2 Likes

Just finished Andor and Dead to Me.

We recently decided to start watching Alone and are now addicted.

2 Likes

Dead to Me is fantastic. Great performances throughout, but Christina Applegate deserves an Emmy for season 4.

2 Likes

absolutely!

1 Like

Get thee to the VPN, @MC-Canadastan :slight_smile:

4 Likes

VPN is your friend. You can be from anywhere you want

5 Likes

Finished warehouse 13, and season 1 of Picard. Might rewatch Eureka and Longmire OR start the Star Trek movies from first to last.

5 Likes

About to start Andor, then probably bingeing the remaining Clone Wars and Rebels I am missing.

4 Likes

After discovering my wife had never seen Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, we just had to watch it last night. Right after we finished our binge of Wednesday.

Next up, the next season of Last Chance U.

4 Likes

I love that movie so much.

5 Likes

If you have not seen the 2020 Zoom Table Read you need to. It’s pretty good.

3 Likes