Whatcha Watchin'? The TV Thread

Obi-Wan. The fanboys went in with their usual grade-school expectation of a paladinesque power fantasy and only got that after some serious character self therapy :slight_smile:

It also triggered them that the show was really as much about Leia.

It was fantastic.

3 Likes

Currently watching Warrior Nun which is as cheesy as it sounds but the sort of cheesy where you’re compelled to keep watching.

4 Likes

I still have the last episode of Andor to watch, won’t get a chance till I am back on dry land.

I think Andor stands out because it is returning to storytelling rather than trying to please disparate factions that will never all be pleased anyway.
The Mandalorian started out this way but suffered from trying to wedge in Bobba Fett IMO*

4 Likes

Loved this! and…

…agreed.

4 Likes

Agree! But then again the best part of Mando for me was the Ahsoka episodes. And that is going to be an awesome series. Betting we get Sabine back too. And, of course, Thrawn.

I love how Ahsoka really puts in a serious twist to canon. Looking back to Yoda’s “Empire…” line of “No… there is another”, which everyone assumed meant Leia at the time (because to be fair it probably did), when now we know that there was another (ex-)Jedi much more powerful (then) than Luke out there doing just fine the whole time, really.

3 Likes

I loved the outcry that Ahsoka didn’t match the Clone Wars, “her head appendages didn’t come as far down as they were previously”. The same with Cad Bane.
They were animations! Get over it already and allow your imagination to do some of the leg work rather than being spoon fed all the time

3 Likes

Yeah same thing happened with the Grand Inquisitor in Obi-Wan. I mean, come on.

3 Likes
  1. There’s only 1 episodic show I watch and that’s Ghosts on Thursdays
  2. I watch a lot of reality shows with my wife, specifically Food Network challenges like Holiday Baking Championship on Mondays
  3. Masked Singer just ended so that’s one less show; LegoMasters is still going but will end in a couple weeks; and we’re devotees of Amazing Race and Hell’s Kitchen.
    Other than that, I watch a lot of YouTube videos and MotorTrendPlus.
2 Likes

Yeah, I get that. I don’t like the ‘monster filler’ episodes as much as the ongoing conspiracy themed story that really is the story. I watch it while having breakfast every day in small chunks.

3 Likes

This show pains me so much as I loved the comic and even have a tattoo of Areala (my great grandmother was a nun, and yes, died a nun, that’s a story unto itself). The show is just horrible though.

2 Likes

Big Bang Theory, rewatching, again…
I haven’t started watching Stranger things season 4 yet, looking forward to that.
Family Guy
Peter Ustinov Poirot movies on Amazon Prime, though nothing compares to David Suchets Poirot, in my opinion.
Trying to watch The Expanse season 5, but the books went boring after number 4-5, so I probably won’t be following that any more.
I’m going to rewatch Flight of the Concords soon.
Those are some of the shows I follow now that I’m semi-retired.

4 Likes

True, but these days I set the bar pretty low. Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment and all that… I like the story in the past but the future story is a bit too hammy for me.

:+1: :+1: :+1:
Although 1899 would have been better as a film. There was a lot of padding…

2 Likes

Any love out there for Guillermo Del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities? Bit of a mix of styles but there’s something there for everyone.

M’good lady wife and I are currently slogging through Wednesday on Netflix and The Vow on HBO…

3 Likes

I liked Cabinet of Curiosities. I love Del Toro’s stuff.

3 Likes

I like it… it’s over-the-top, for sure, but not unrealistically so, and makes for another good counterpoint to the other storyline. Gotta love these ever so slightly arrogant British accents and, also, these characters represent the top of the food chain in that storyline. They basically have to be arrogant :wink:

2 Likes

For me the best ones were the first one and the one set in the 1970s with Peter Weller as the billionaire. Way cool.

Hah! Yeah :laughing:

3 Likes

NFL football and the Marcus Miller Documentary. Today, is a good day.

4 Likes

I am getting so much from this doc. Never knew he was a clarinet player, on, and on. If you are thinking about getting it, it is worth it just for the section on Jaco Pastorius. Like me, he had no idea what the hell Jaco was about when he listened to Jaco’s first album (for me, the first few minutes is all I gave that album). Marcus listened, learned, figured it out, LEARNED the notes (most of them), and then figured it out… it wasn’t about the notes, but WHY DID JACO CHOOSE THE NOTES? Then when he met Jaco, Jaco had him play something. Marcus played something funky… Jaco, Said, “I can do that, I just don’t.” Marcus, got it… it was about “being yourself as a bass player.” With all our tabs, covers, notation, etc… I sorta hope, at least for me, that we also can get to a point that we express OURSELVES. Maybe, just someone hearing it, and just hearing it, knowing it’s you; or, maybe just for yourself, knowing that it’s YOU. My thoughts… you do you… but, for me, a well-spent $3.99.

6 Likes

Great insights and perspective, Booker. I’ve got the Marcus doc high on my list.

2 Likes

Yeah, he plays bass clarinet regularly on his records or live.

You can and you will. Normally, you’d think this would come once you are no longer held back by bad technique or missing understanding of harmonic context etc., but that is not the whole story. You can start expressing yourself on “easy” tunes right away - nobody says you need to play “Twinkle, twinkle” and sound like a three-year old. Once you know all the notes and the rhythm (and that shouldn’t take long), you can start to explore little slides, vibrato, embellishments, phrasing, dynamics… everything that makes music come alive :smile:

Now, back to the thread’s topic: I’d re-watch “Counterparts” in a heartbeat if I could find it. Why does certain stuff disappear again from streaming services after a while?? Do we really lack storage space or band-width??

4 Likes