What's the Bassbuzz of learning keyboard?

Honestly I need to give myself a kick and get back into my bass playing!
But anyway, what’s the Bassbuzz of the black&whites? Where’s the Keybuzz at?

Got any recommendations for apps or channels or courses for learning piano / keyboard?

I tried Flowkey for a little bit with a free trial from Yamaha but meh… I’m not convinced either way to pay for more. It was good at learning some basics and pushing me to read a little sheet music but I felt it was really lacking in feedback about whether you’re doing well. A few annoyances with the user interface as well.
Though thinking about Bassbuzz, maybe I don’t actually need an app for that!

2 Likes

I was looking for an intermediate course to get back in to it recently (haven’t played in like 30 years so super, super rusty) and Bill Hilton’s beginner and intermediate courses here looked decent:

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks @howard I’ll try those out!

3 Likes

Happy to help. Everyone should learn piano, learning music theory basics on piano is like a million times easier than on stringed instruments. Everything just makes sense when you can see it like that.

3 Likes

I completely agree, we use the keyboard as a reference in my music theory class constantly. It was what first made the musical alphabet click when Josh described it too.

2 Likes

I have a membership at Pianote.com

I do really like their teaching style. They have a fundamentals course, specialty topic modules and song lessons.

3 Likes

Oh hey, that looks really good.

1 Like

My first “note stuff learned” was via Josh and the keyboard comparisons in early B2B. It is still the easiest way for me to visualize notes, and anytime I see the keys I think of it that way. Think I’ll print one out! (I’m now going to be on the hunt for a small, cheap, beat up one… maybe a thrift store find… music space art!)

1 Like

Yeah, true.
What made me really want to learn was looking at the piano-roll in Ableton or GarageBand and being like “what is this string-less thing!?” and getting really frustrated making horrible sounds!

Though I see Ableton has audio-to-midi, that could be fun to jam with, should go well with a (mostly) monophonic instrument like bass guitar. Anyway, that’s a whole tangent.

3 Likes

honestly my favorite way to learn piano/keyboard was to get an actual teacher, find a piano student from your local college, offer them 10 bucks an hour plus Ramen and coffee, and then can’t say no. I’ve played piano since I was 4 1/2 but learning from a video, especially from the basics, idk I may be a bit jaded and Scrooge-esque, but I like in person