What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

I DO! I DO!

4 Likes

Congrats on the B3n @anon8486200, that’s a great ME processor.

Congrats also on the new place and new music room. Now, with all that extra space, you can spend more time in the Multiple Bass Disorder and G.A.S. threads :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Has anybody used something like this ever?
I can see these being cool, and maybe even having more then one on a pedal board for certain things.

It is just a box that takes two inputs and turns them into one output.
so what you can do is run pedals in parallel instead of feeding one into another.
An example would be to run a compressor and a fuzz pedal into this box so that the you don’t get compressed fuzz, you get the full Fuzz effect, and you also have a compressed signal.

They give another example in the ad about running two delays in parallel, and it doing some sort of magic. I am not big on delays, but i can see it being a good way to do it.

Also, me, with multiple compressors, I think it could be fun to run two in parallel and see what happens.

Just wondering if anybody has ever used these and what their thoughts are about the results?

2 Likes

Dunno about anyone else but I’d use a mixer for this. They make mixer pedals as well. A line selector like the Boss LS-2 would also work.

But TBH it sounds to me like it is overcomplicating something that doesn’t need to be that complicated.

It’s also built in to something like the Tyler ; no need for separate joining in that case, it manages multiple loops.

3 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t see the conversation above prior to posting this,
BUT
I am not really taking about splitting frequencies, I am just talking about running two pedals in parallel instead of sending one into the other. I am not familiar with mixing pedals, but it seems like it would be overcomplicating things to me, but I am not sure that it would because Idk about the mixer.

Does the LS-2 run the two lines at once? I thought it was just a line selector so that you would select between the two inputs, not combine them, again, idk, I have not looked too closely at it.

Can you show a mixing pedal, or is that what the Tyler is.
Tyler is a cool pedal for sure, but again, much more then what this pedal is, and more complex than I am looking at.

2 Likes

You’re implying you want to blend two signals - those signals need to have been split somehow to begin with :slight_smile:

Tyler takes an input, splits into two different send/return loops based on frequency cutoff, blends them and sends to output.

Tons of mixer pedals - recommend googling.

The LS-2 has two effects loops and has many line selection, combination and blend modes:

An ABY switch could also do the splitting for you. But an ABY splitting into two paths and then rejoining later seems less flexible than something like the LS-2 to me.

And all of this is a bit more complicated than I want my board to be. YMMV :slight_smile:

Were I to buy any of this kind of thing it would be either the Tyler or the LS-2.

1 Like

For all you Octaver-heads:

That poly setting is sick… :smile:

4 Likes

@T_dub
Here is another example of a pedal mixer. I like it. I have no use for it. I want one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriParMix--electro-harmonix-tri-parallel-mixer

@DaveT
Does the Orange Bass Butler do what your talking about?
There was a lot of hype around it when it cam out. To me, it seems like it’s missing at least two outputs for bi-amping without having to use the XLR connections.

It splits the signal into clean (low) and dirty (high) and sends each one out to a separate XLR connection. Which is great if you’re bi-amping to a board or a DAI. If you want to bi-amp to actual amps, you can’t. It has a single amp out that recombines the signal. Seems like an odd design decision for something built for bi-amping.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassButler--orange-bass-butler-bi-amp-bass-preamp-pedal

3 Likes

That is awesome

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips! I didn’t know about one and the other I didn’t really look at carefully enough. This is a good addition to the research.

This would be candidate for what I’m wanting if the EQ knob were to be a HP or LP filter. I could look into if this could be modified.

I glanced at this and it seemed like it was so designed around bi-amping that it may not do what I wanted along with the $$, I just moved on without really understanding it. Ironically, what I want IS for the signal to be recombined. I don’t know that I’m paying so much to do this though.

When we start getting into that price range, I’m starting to looks at the Mod Duo that allows all the crossovers and mixers you want. It has 2 inputs, so I could do the HP send and get it back again. I didn’t really want to spend that kind of money when I don’t need any of their FX.

SFX had already figured out that this idea would be cool, but they don’t make it anymore and I haven’t found a used one yet. This is exactly perfect. I’m keeping my eye out for one.

SFX also made one without the crossover that I can get on Reverb for $92. I’d have to mod the send to have the HP filter on it. This, so far, is the best idea I think. The filter is not a difficult circuit mod . . .

Meanwhile, I’ll mock it up using an overkill rack DSP black box to get proof of concept and see if I like it . . .

4 Likes

This is why I’m liking the Mod Duo so much. Unlimited signal routing inside. This is one of Steve Lawson’s configurations . . .

4 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome. Costs less than I expected too.

3 Likes

I also just got a Boss GT-10B, got a heck of a deal

7 Likes

That is crazy elaborate. I’m looking forward to you getting one just so I can see what all you do with it.

I’m down on the other end of the spectrum. Eating crayons and paste thinking how the Tri Parallel Mixer would let me plug in lots of cables that I can then unplug and plug back in again.

I’ve come to realize how my desire for a separate amp head and cabinet has more to do with my love of modularity and plugging things in than any practical application. :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

5 Likes

back to the power supply thing, in the idea of building a very compact pedalboard I found those two models :

don’t know about the tuner quality, but it could be the most compact option. the other one is still very compact.

2 Likes

I found these.
I can’t say how good the outputs would be, but they seem smaller then that one. that said, I use Caline Power Supplies, and am very happy with them. However, they are not true isolated outlputs like they claim, but they do the trick for me.

Stax Is a smaller pedal, if space is a really big deal.

This Joyo looks about the same size, as the Caline, but the power all comes from the top side of the pedal, may be better for cleaner routing if that is important

This Iron Horse, a little more expensive like the Joyo, IDK if it is a better quality product or not. It wants you to think it is, but IDK??

The Caline looks like the least expensive, the Stax looks like the smallest. the Joyo, twice the price of the Caline or Stax, but has great routing options, not sure if the higher price equates to better quality, but I have been impressed with the more recent line of Joyo pedals, so maybe?

This Koogo looks like a pretty good inexpensive brick too, smaller then the Caline with similar outputs (300ma) with 2 selectable voltage, one being 500mz
Again, probably not the true isolated outlets you are looking for.

3 Likes

thanks ! I didn’t knew about those tuners with multiple power outputs. as I said earlier my old Korg Pitchblack has one 9v output but it’s not isolated.

It might be interesting to be more precise about this isolated outputs thing : the goal is to avoid ground loops. those ground loops appear when the signal ground and the power ground are the same, on multiple devices. as there are loops made with wires , they act like small antenna and the electric potential is not strictly the same everywhere on this ground, so it ends up as noises.

So the goal is not really to have a fully isolated output for each pedal, which means that each pedal has to have its own transformer secondary coil (which could be wired into one big transformer, it’s not necessarily one dedicated transformer). The goal really is to have isolated grounds, and they even don’t have to be really isolated, they just need to be separated by a resistor.

So what I want to say is that it can work and avoid the ground loops even if the outputs are not “fully” isolated. But it can’t work if the outputs are simply wired in parallel.

'hope it makes sense.

4 Likes

Yeah. I have one of the cheap Donner PSUs that doesn’t technically have isolated grounds, but it has choke coils on each of the terminals to block crosstalk. I haven’t noticed any noise at all with it.

3 Likes

That one is nice in that it has a 500mA out. The other two pedal ones do too. The Koogo has eight 300mA outs which is also cool but having a 500mA out is nice.

1 Like

it’s only useful for digital pedals really. a typical analog pedal drains way less than 100mA, maybe something around 20 to 50mA.

3 Likes