What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

Here’s what I got. Seems pretty good looking according to the reviews.

There are smaller versions available as well.

4 Likes

Harley has been killing it lately, the prices on their new amps and cabs are mind blowing.

4 Likes

@terb @howard have you or anyone seen a pedal like this? It seems like a lot of guitar pedals could be used for bass using the Darkglass X concept or the Bass Clone Crossover switch. Something like this would eliminate low end tone suck and control what gets sent to any effect. I don’t want to build it if I don’t have to.

3 Likes

just picked up a Zoom B3n for 100 bucks on reverb, excited to get it, plus i’m finally moving on oct 10th, which means i will finally be able to have a dedicated music room!!!

4 Likes

Awesome, congratz. I have not used the B3n myself, but I have used the B1-four, B1x-four and MS-60B.
I beleive the B3n works a little more like my MS-60B then the B1x-four, but they are all great.
What I mean “works more like” is the buttons and format you use to select and edit / create patches. But its not that different, and they are both quite intuitive.
This will give you TONS of immediate options, ones that could suit you for life, or, if you are like many of us, you will use it to learn about pedals before you dive into that world. LOL
Congratz on the Music room too

2 Likes

Nah, the B3n is much more similar to a B1four with three pedal UIs instead of one. Way more flexible than either the B1four or the MS-60b.

2 Likes

Yeah a dual filter switch like that would make a lot of sense. In fact if you add a dialable mid boost, you have everything in a Microtubes X except the drive and the tube sound.

The mid boost on the X feels kind of like a bandpass mixing in a copy of the dry signal.

4 Likes

I am talking about the buttons and user interface, not the size of the product.
the screens on the B3n and the way. you grab and drop effects within the patch looked to be in a presentation like is on the MS-60b. Yes the MS-60b is a single pedal and the B3n is a much bigger and more capable unit, but it is presented almost like it is 3 MS-60B’s in a row.
The B1-four seems to be an updated interface.
Thats the only comparrison I was making not the fact that the B3n is way bigger in size and way more inside then a single stomp box

2 Likes

@DaveT that’s pretty much a parallel* effects loop with an added crossover filter, it should work :grin:

*: here “parallel” means that you have a dry/wet mix so it’s parallel to the dry tone. but not parallel to an existing preamp.

5 Likes

Another thing he could do is split out a Low Send/Return as well and have basically something similar to the Tyler.

4 Likes

yeah pretty much in the spirit of playing with two amps, one with for the high and the other for the low frequencies. That’s what Nate Newton do for example, the “high frequencies” amp being a saturated guitar amp.

5 Likes

eh, what the hell. build it, put it in a cool looking pedal, we all buy one.

6 Likes

That’s it! Thank you. That will do exactly what I want. Unfortunately, It’s a bit more than I’d like to pay for that ability.

4 Likes

I DO! I DO!

4 Likes

Congrats on the B3n @anon8486200, that’s a great ME processor.

Congrats also on the new place and new music room. Now, with all that extra space, you can spend more time in the Multiple Bass Disorder and G.A.S. threads :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Has anybody used something like this ever?
I can see these being cool, and maybe even having more then one on a pedal board for certain things.

It is just a box that takes two inputs and turns them into one output.
so what you can do is run pedals in parallel instead of feeding one into another.
An example would be to run a compressor and a fuzz pedal into this box so that the you don’t get compressed fuzz, you get the full Fuzz effect, and you also have a compressed signal.

They give another example in the ad about running two delays in parallel, and it doing some sort of magic. I am not big on delays, but i can see it being a good way to do it.

Also, me, with multiple compressors, I think it could be fun to run two in parallel and see what happens.

Just wondering if anybody has ever used these and what their thoughts are about the results?

2 Likes

Dunno about anyone else but I’d use a mixer for this. They make mixer pedals as well. A line selector like the Boss LS-2 would also work.

But TBH it sounds to me like it is overcomplicating something that doesn’t need to be that complicated.

It’s also built in to something like the Tyler ; no need for separate joining in that case, it manages multiple loops.

3 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t see the conversation above prior to posting this,
BUT
I am not really taking about splitting frequencies, I am just talking about running two pedals in parallel instead of sending one into the other. I am not familiar with mixing pedals, but it seems like it would be overcomplicating things to me, but I am not sure that it would because Idk about the mixer.

Does the LS-2 run the two lines at once? I thought it was just a line selector so that you would select between the two inputs, not combine them, again, idk, I have not looked too closely at it.

Can you show a mixing pedal, or is that what the Tyler is.
Tyler is a cool pedal for sure, but again, much more then what this pedal is, and more complex than I am looking at.

2 Likes

You’re implying you want to blend two signals - those signals need to have been split somehow to begin with :slight_smile:

Tyler takes an input, splits into two different send/return loops based on frequency cutoff, blends them and sends to output.

Tons of mixer pedals - recommend googling.

The LS-2 has two effects loops and has many line selection, combination and blend modes:

An ABY switch could also do the splitting for you. But an ABY splitting into two paths and then rejoining later seems less flexible than something like the LS-2 to me.

And all of this is a bit more complicated than I want my board to be. YMMV :slight_smile:

Were I to buy any of this kind of thing it would be either the Tyler or the LS-2.

1 Like

For all you Octaver-heads:

That poly setting is sick… :smile:

4 Likes