What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

i didn’t come up with the idea, but i swear to god someone needs to buy all of these hotone pedals and make the worlds cutest smallest pedalboard hotone

4 Likes

hey look what I just repaired ! a Digitech DSP 128+ rack. it was made in 1989 and it’s mostly a reverb unit, in fact a stereo reverb/delay specialized multi-effects. there are also a chorus, flanger and equalizer but it’s really focused around the reverb and delay, with a lot of settings. sounds pretty good but saddly it adds a lot of hum.

6 Likes

Just got the new-ish EQ2 by source audio. Source audio is not cheap and it’s too new for any used ones. But they make killer stuff and my first impression is this one is too.

1579867591_1542204

6 Likes

If you start collecting them the Aftershock sounds great to me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It does sound good. I’ve got the eq2 and the spectrum, which is amazing. Think my pedalboard is complete. Wait why did I say that.

3 Likes

:joy:

4 Likes

I keep looking at mine feeling like I need more dirt, even though it already has a Big Muff, Battalion, Microtubes X, and BDI-21 :rofl:

6 Likes

one day I’ll have to try more bass overdrive too … I think about the well known Boss ODB-3, those things sell for 40-45€ used here

3 Likes

Classic. I really like the sound of those for '80/'90s style distortion. Punkier and colder than a Tube Screamer, the other classic alternative for that style.

That’s kind of a common characteristic of Boss pedals I think. My RV-3 definitely does not sound like you are playing to a warm room :metal::cold_face::metal:

3 Likes

the SD-1 is not that cold … (of course I have an old Japanese one :grin: )

4 Likes

a quick sound test : Boss MT-2 + Vox AC100 model on the Bass POD Pro

just for fun :grin:

4 Likes

“Drum machine” ? I didn’t know that was a thing in pedals!

2 Likes

The multieffects pedals of the last few years are pretty killer for features like that. Not as good as a standalone drum machine but still pretty neat.

1 Like

That sounds wonderful.

2 Likes

Oh yeeeeeaaaaah that’s some really good low end. I was wondering how one of those would work with bass!

Some of the '80s/'90s Boss pedals are amazing.

3 Likes

what I wanted to test was if the MT2 sucked all the low end, like many guitar pedals do with a bass. seems ok :v::grin:

6 Likes

this OD seems interesting :

2 Likes

there’s so many pedal threads now, I don’t know where to post. anyway, here is the catch of the day, a Boss ODB 3. I’m not so much impressed so far. might mod it to my tastes, we’ll see.

6 Likes

I think this is the most appropriate thread to post about different pedals and what they do, and whether or not you like it.
I would say the pedalboard thread is more about the complete pedal setups we have.
Just my HO

3 Likes

I had one of these once upon a time. All I ever wanted was big, beefy overdrive… this one was weird. The blend was never smooth, and the OD was always on the crispy crackly side for what I was looking for.
What’s your take, @terb ?

3 Likes