What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

I was not aware that Line 6 offer a software version of the Helix ! amazing

3 Likes

Only $99! - if you own a Line6 product that qualifies, that is.

$400 otherwise.

2 Likes

only if you own a Helix product if I understood well. $400 is a bit spendy !

3 Likes

Yeah you need a HX Effects or HX Stomp to get it for $99. POD Farm users get a smaller discount.

$400 is steep, but I kind of look at it as a $400 discount on a Helix.

I wonā€™t buy it at that price either. But if I were looking for a midrange multieffect, I would definitely go for a HX Stomp+$99 for Helix Native. Then probably sell the Stomp :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just got one for a good price. Will be delivered tomorrow :smiley:

2 Likes

looking forward to your though, @Paul !

2 Likes

Pam, I got the Bass Pod Pro, the rack mount, same one @terb is using for his recordings. I paid $80 for it on offer up. I see them going for way higher on Reverb, but I have seen plenty of them for $100 or lower on Offer Up or other local classifieds. Just a FYI.
I have not played with it a whole bunch.
I got it a little before I moved
and 1 week after I got to the new place I was in the hospital.
I have not broken it back out as of yet, but it was fun playing with it the little that I did.

3 Likes

so here is the POD of the week, just added to my museum :grin:

itā€™s a POD HD Desktop, the last bean-shaped model, just before the current Helix range. this one is complete in box, in pristine condition with un-opened manual, and even the protective plastic is still on the screen.

The POD HD sounds excellent for guitar but is not at all interesting with a bass. There are very few amps models, and almost nothing for bass. The guitar amps are awesome but the bass models just donā€™t sound right in my opinion.

Not recommended at all for a bass player

for the context, I already own a POD HD 500 which is the high-end pedalboard version of the HD, but after years of heavy use it has some stability issues. also I wanted the desktop version because Iā€™m clearly collecting all the bean-shaped PODs, which are really ideal for home studio use. and, home studio, thatā€™s what I do.

6 Likes

A few must haves in my opinion. A compressor. A Sansamp Bass Driver (or Behringer BDI-21 if you wanna save $150+) a pedal tuner, and some sort of Overdrive. I have a Mojo Mojo pedal which is pretty good for bass, as it doesnā€™t cut all the low end like lots of overdrive pedals do. Darkglass is excellent, but REALLY pricey.

If you want wah and all that you can get one. As mentioned way above a Zoom B3n is good. Has tons of effects, looper, drum pedal. Sounds pretty good too. Amazing practice tool, and gives you a good idea of what pedals you might want. Of course you could just use it for those effects too, I just find the individual pedals to have a slightly better sound.

1 Like

what is your ā€œMojo mojoā€ pedal exactly ? my favorite overdrive for now is a moddified Boss ODB-3, Iā€™ve recorded many covers with it since I did the mod.

Also I have a BDI-21 that I also modded, I used this thing a lot. I agree with you, itā€™s a must have.

1 Like

Mojo Mojo is a TC electronics OD pedal, typically used for guitar. It has a low frequency switch boost, and a bass knob, so you can keep your low end better than many other classic OD pedals, making it also popular for bass.

4 Likes

Really liking it so far @terb! So far I have only been exploring the default presets for bass and guitar and not building my own presets. Itā€™s quite extensiveā€¦ A lot of the guitar presets sound very nice on the bass too (f.e. the jazz ones are super nice) and I was pleasantly suprised because I think the factory presets on the X3 are actually good unlike the ones on my Helix.

3 Likes

Ok so I picked up a new pedal today - the TC Hall of Fame 2. Now I can guess what youā€™re thinking: ā€œreverb huh, thatā€™s pretty boringā€ but boy this pedal is more fun than a box of frogs. Iā€™ve had reverb pedals before with guitar, notably an EHX Holy Grail and iā€™d agree, itā€™s a boring pedal. I think it came with plate and spring reverb and that was it. Made you sound like you was playing in a bathroom - whoop whoop. But this thing! Itā€™s got so many sounds in it. Put it on Shim and it sounds like a celestial choir is singing behind your every noteā€¦ I cannot think of a single practical application when youā€™d want that gigging but in the practice room itā€™s sooooooooooooooo much fun.

10 Likes

TCE is very good for this kind of effects. I had a Nova System pedalboard, the reverbs were really impressive. (sadly I donā€™t have any need for reverbs, so I traded the Nova System)

2 Likes

Nice! I love to play with the reverb effect on my B3n. Has actually inspired some different tunes Iā€™ve made. Good purchase!

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t call reverb ā€œboringā€, more like ā€œrequiredā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there, I just ordered The Darkglass Microtubes B7K V2 after being blown away after a demo comparing both the B7K and the Vintage Deluxe. But Iā€™m not an expert. Canā€™t wait to try it though. Peace!

3 Likes

one of the best :+1:

one of the things i love about reverb is it blends so well with other effects.

2 Likes

Actually they add a range of tones though their overdrive/distortion for bass is basically unparalleledā€¦still you can get some good clean tones out of them too.

1 Like

yeah I often used my Microtubes X for the tube-like compression it gave, very cool tones even with the drive turned down. In fact thatā€™s how I most used it.

I have the B7k Ultra/VMT Ultra plugin now and love them too.

1 Like