What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

@T_dub has raved about the San Juan or San Diego or San something-or-other compressor for awhile now. Toby, are you still San loving it?

3 Likes

Yes, I love my San June CB CP Optical compressor for $68.99 on Amazon

And What is this??? They make them in a cool red case now too…
Hmmmm. do I need another??

And What is this, the San June GB-CPX?
they have a mini, with a slight mod that says Guitar and Bass compressor.
I can’t speak to how good or bad it is, but I will be sure to get one some time and test it out. It looks cool as all get out.

Man, look at this, San June has an OD pedal, a Distortion pedal and some power blocks that are true isolated outlets, and I would guess that they are , and not just saying it.

I still highly recommend the SanJune GB-CP Bass Optical Compressor, the first one shown. I bet the other one does good too, but I have not tested it, and if it is for guitar too, you have to be careful it doesn’t drop the bottom out.

2 Likes

Not disagreeing with you, but just wanted to point out that the first one you list (the “CP”) is also listed as “Guitar and Bass”, so I would guess that they perform fairly similarly…

2 Likes

You are right, they must have changed their add because when I got it it said Bass Compressor, but that was a long time ago, and I am sure it works for guitar as well.
The Keeley bassist compressor and the keeley compressor are the exact same compressor, just a different graphic on the top.
Keelye made it for bassists, and then guitarists played it and loved it, but did not like the logo, so he made a new logo and took out the name the bassist and sells it to many guitar players, and it is the exact same thing.
So It would not bother me to find that they changed their marketing to include guitarists.

I would be a little cautious just buying any pedal that says it works for both guitar and bass. I have gotten plenty, and some are great, some suck.
So when I get one, I get it to test it, thinking it might go back.

However, I have had this-compressor for well over 6 months now, and it is a killer bass compressor, and I am sure it would do great for guitar as well.
What makes it a great bass compressor is that it does not drop the bottom end, and it does a good job to limit the peaks of the high end

So, yeah, I would give the little one a try too, and probably will some day, I might need to make more room since I have 3 compressors, I could get a mini of one of them and alive some crowding.
Another great thing about this compressor is the gain setting, it is really good feature on compressors to have gain or drive

2 Likes

I love that on the mini compressor instead of slope it says slops :joy:

5 Likes

I saw that, and thought “how little QA do you have to do to let that get out the door…”

2 Likes

Thats nothing.
Million dollar CNC macines from Japan in the old days, we used to just sit around and scratch our heads reading them.
things like

“Do not stand on slippery, when wet, fall, hurt die”

“Do not remove the guard rail wile machine is off, you can get hurt by fllying tool that is round”

“Warning, it can mean die to open door while tool is spinning on the table”

and of course tools spin on in the spindle.

They are much better now, but you can still find some laughable warning signs on Japanese and other asian built machines.

so, on a budget pedal, if that is the only thing you can find, that is nothing relatively speaking. Ha ha

5 Likes

yeah that’s also the beauty shots for advertising, they may have corrected it in production for all i know.

i kinda hope not :grinning:

4 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to imply anything about the performance of the pedal itself…

I know what you mean, but isn’t the “beauty shot” where it’s MOST important that it’s right? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If they fix this for production I will be deeply disappointed in them

4 Likes

I found another on their Overdrive with 3 clipping options, it says CHIP

• High and low frequency knobs, 3 options for diode clipping, and great adjustable tone range.
  • No noise or hiss/hum during playing. This pedal doesn’t accept a battery, it requires a standard 9V DC power supply (not included).
  • Quality assurance, SanJune always stand behind our products with one-year guarantee.
3 Likes

I still love these guys based on how great the compressor pedal is, and I would happily test out any pedals. I don’t know that these would be what I would want for bass, this and the distortion pedal, also Red, called Dyna Distortion.
But the power supplies they have look pretty good if I wanted to spend for true isolated sockets, which I would imagine they have.

1 Like

I want some chips and slops!

5 Likes

What fuzz pedal are you using and why? I got the EHX big muff and a few plugins to sort my muff needs but I’m still tempted after watching this video…

1 Like

I’m actually looking for a good Big Muff plugin. I can make some good fuzz tones but I really love that high harmonic fuzz of the muff.

3 Likes

i am really starting to think they do this on purpose, which would be hilarious

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised. There are some clothing lines here that I am convinced are made by pissed off, salty expat English teachers that are burned out and mad at life.

3 Likes

the only fuzz I kept is a MI Audio G.I. Fuzz. this thing sounds gorgeous, but I’m not really a fuzz fan so I use it rarely. with a bass and playing with the “bias” setting, it can sound almost like a good’ol analog synth. basically it’s a gated square wave.

3 Likes

Can’t believe I just scrolled through the entire thread :laughing: Anywho, I figured I’d add my pedals to the gallery:

6 Likes

I’m actually looking for a good Big Muff plugin. I can make some good fuzz tones but I really love that high harmonic fuzz of the muff.

Via reddit:
Download Free Vintage fuzz plugin: FuzzPlus3 by Audio Damage (free)
https://www.audiority.com/shop/big-goat/ (20 dollar)

Helix Native also provides two types of Big Muff Pi.