What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

If you are going for OD tone you can do that on the TS9, in which case you would use the VT for clean tone. Back the drive way off (try 9 o’clock or less) and then adjust the volume knob on the VT to where it is as loud with the pedal activated as it is deactivated. Then if you need grit try the TS9…the backing off the drive SHOULD help them work well together. If, however, it doesn’t sound good to your ear and you want OD, just switch the VT pedal off and activate the TS9.

Just suggestions of course, but some combo of that may be able to help you keep and use both together.

3 Likes

Does the TS9b bring anything to the party that I can’t get out of the VT Bass DI? Just wonderin’

2 Likes

It does in the sense that the VT can bring some absolutely wonderful thick, rich, warm and articulate clean tone shaping which is lost in it’s overdrive function. You can have it as “always on” as part of your standard clean tone and then in cases where you want to add overdrive just hit the switch on the TS9. That way you get a great function each from each pedal for what they are really good at, instead of using both to get the same/similar effect (Overdrive)

2 Likes

The TS9 is famous for its OD. I would be surprised if the VT Bass is better. Usually the drive from the preamp and OD work well combined. I think it’s just finding the right setting? I mean the VT is still a preamp, you should be able to use a full blown pedalboard before that.

3 Likes

alright, time to unleash my latest round of insanity. buying the hx stomp allowed me to make some wholesale changes. adding up everything I bought and sold I think I actually came close to breaking even this time :joy:

4 Likes

It’s always nice (and rare) when it works out that way :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

What did you have before?

Not familiar with hx stomp Either, what does that one do?

3 Likes

it didn’t make sense to waste a signal block on the stomp for anything that I run always on. so I figured I would keep a few pedals to run into it. like my dark glass VMT is always on so it’s a keeper. but I didn’t have a compressor. so I took the advice of a famous compression pedal review site and bought this old standby:

seems to do a nice job and the meter input is very handy. I was intrigued by the Cali76 but it’s a lot more expensive.

4 Likes

it’s not really a matter of “better” but also that every circuit brings its own color. it’s a matter of taste really, and a unique subtle recipe on how you use every piece of gear :slight_smile:

6 Likes

next, I love POG type multi octave. the stomp has one and it’s OK, not great. but it also hogs up a ton of processing power. eh, what the hell, might as well get my favorite (AGAIN), they’re not too expensive.

7 Likes

wanted to dabble in stereo (more on that in a sec) so traded in my mute switch for a stereo one from saturnworks

4 Likes

That’s a great point! If you really like the OD the VT has…well you like it. The advice is mainly just based on existing pedals. TS9 has good OD and doesn’t have quite the clean tone shaping ability that the VT does. The VT can do OD well, but also can do great clean tones the TS9 can’t…so it’s kinda just process of elimination based on capabilities of both pedals.

1 Like

This is true @terb! Wise words. What I really meant is that the TS9 is just known for being a legendary pedal. In the end it’s all personal taste

2 Likes

but then I… took a risk. been thinking about it for a while. I basically want to eventually be a bedroom songwriter. hey it worked for Billy Eilish :rofl:. so I don’t have a drummer, that’s what the beat buddy is for. and the stomp will let me create a bunch of soundscapes. but this will take it to a whole new level (if I can figure it out).

6 Likes

That’s awesome! You go way farther than me. I got an OD, a compressor that I just removed, my VMT (in love!) and the BDI-21. Of course the zoom B3n has all those other effects I use for fun. I am just not sure what more to add to my board…maybe that MXR compressor…but the VMT and BDI both compress…so I took my other compressor off.

3 Likes

Wow yeah, you are going all out there, that is cool. I wanted the Boss RC300 loop station before…now I’m not sure.

2 Likes

the aeros loop station is much more then the world’s most expensive looper. it allows you create whole songs using 6 tracks and 6 parts to the song. it also quantizes for you so it lines up all the parts in synch for you. kinda amazing.

4 Likes

Wow, that is interesting…have no idea how it does all that but that is cool. Any benefit to it over just using a DAW? (Other than doing a live one-man performance)?

2 Likes

and because the stomp, beat buddy and aeros are all stereo and I happened to own a headrush frfr speaker, I decided to buy another one and play around with stereo. this isn’t a permanent solution but if I like it I think I know where I’m heading.

6 Likes

pretty much is just a little portable daw. but yeah, you can take it on the road with you.

1 Like