What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

I was also considering an active bass (American Ultra Jazz Bass), but it would be about $300 cheaper to get the Am Pro II Jazz plus the Tech 21 preamp/DI box . . . :wink:

So many decisions, so little time . . . :thinking:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

my advice Joe would be to try to imagine how you would use this gear. for example, for me, there would be no reason to choose an active bass. but maybe itā€™s not the same for you. the approach is different.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just interested in the ā€œpreampā€ aspect . . . stronger signal, being able to experiment with different tones, etc. Laurent. :slight_smile: . . . Josh and I were talking about this, and he felt that the weakest part of the Squier basses were the electronics. There is a company that makes a generic preamp to convert passive ā€œJazz bassesā€ (including Squiers ) to active ones, but I didnā€™t want to go that route.

I also wanted to upgrade to the latest Fender MIA Jazz Bass with the improved neck, rolled edges, sculpted heel plate, and Hi-Mass bridge.

Just a ā€œbucket listā€ sort of thing, and killing two birds with one stone . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

in my opinion the ā€œproblemā€ with the electronics of a Squier is not the lack of a preamp, itā€™s more about the quality of the pickups :grin: (about this particular point : Iā€™m not a big fan of Fender pickups neither ; but Squier pickups are worst :slight_smile: )

an onboard preamp is great if you want/need to control your tone anytime while playing. thatā€™s it.

and about the difference between a Squier and a MIA Fender ā€¦ yeah, there will be a difference, I guarantee.

3 Likes

by the way @Jazzbass19 maybe you could consider a pickup set for your Squier. letā€™s say a ToneRider set if you donā€™t want to spend much, for example.

2 Likes

Yes, thank you Laurent, I did consider upgrading the pickups :slight_smile: . . . and this led to the preamp I mentioned above, but I decided to just get it all in one package! Over 2 years ago, I bought the Squier because I wasnā€™t sure how far I wanted to go with playing bass, and I didnā€™t want to spend a lot of money on a MIA bass.

Iā€™ve made a lot of progress thanks to Josh and the B2B course, and to all the friends Iā€™ve made here on these Forums . . . so now Iā€™m sure!

You could put a V8 in a Volkswagen, but it would be easier to buy a Camaro :grin:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

The Am Pro II gets a lot of good reviews. The II version pickup seems a bit better on the mids compared with the I. The pick-ups on those Am Pro models are really good and have quite a strong signal. Personally I would go with the Am Pro II because itā€™s basically the Ultra without a pre-amp.

If you wanna play with different tones then go for the Am Pro II + preamp pedal imho.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s the plan, @Paul . . . :+1:

The Ultra Jazz Bass (active bass) is also interesting because it has a compound neck radius from 10" to 15", meaning it gets ā€œflatterā€ the further up you go on the fretboard . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Oh yeah forgot about the neck. The neck radius is also different on the I serie. I think I tried the ultra in the local shop but I was already sold on the passive P-bass.

Good luck with your plan!

3 Likes

Interested in the UAFX pedals, but struggling to find any bass demos. Would love to hear it on bass just to make sure it doesnā€™t do anything weird.

3 Likes

personnally I donā€™t like this, but again itā€™s all about personnal preferences

2 Likes

Yeah, I hear youā€¦ I havenā€™t been able to find much with respect to bass demos either, but as I am mainly/only interested in the modulation pedal (Astra) and since most (all?) modulation pedals pretty much work on bass as they do on guitar, I am prepared to take a calculated risk. At the end of the day, even if they do something ā€œweirdā€ to your sound, maybe it is something you find interesting/pleasing!?! I guess it is often very personal if you like a certain pedalā€™s outputā€¦

There is a tiny little demo of the flanger in the Astra with bass in this video (at about the 6:50 mark) - hardly comprehensive by any stretch of that word, but at least a little teaser:

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure you are right. A blend/mix knob or a switch to omit low frequency would give me more comfort as you could ensure the low-end isnā€™t lost. But Iā€™m sure it will be fine. Sounds awesome on the guitar demos.

3 Likes

no

4 Likes

This is actually pretty cool from Thomann:
https://www.thomann.de/nl/stompenberg_devices.html

5 Likes

Hey, just FYI. I am interested in the UA Astra pedal for bass as well so emailed UA about this and got the following response:

The Astra pedal can also be used with an electric bass guitar, no question!

From our UAFX Pedals FAQ

Will UAFX work with bass guitars?

Yes, why should guitar players have all the fun?! All UAFX pedals have been designed and tested to work perfectly for bass too.

4 Likes

The freq response is 20 Hz to 20 kHz. So I think you can pretty much use it for any instrument? Did a little bit of research but this pedal got me puzzled. I think they are digital pedals since you can load presets? I was a bit overwhelmed with all the possibilities :wink:

4 Likes

The video on the website has some very intersting sounds from this pedal, very Zeppelin.

That aside, I have yet to say to myself ā€œI need to sound like a 1970ā€™s Japanese Bucket Brigadeā€. It would help if I knew what the hell that was.

I want to be part of their marketing team, they seem to be all high.

3 Likes

Thanks, @JT - why didnā€™t I think about just writing them?! :sweat_smile: I have actually received this pedal in the meantime, and I really like it! It is pretty much what I wanted as it has chorus, flanger, vibrato, trem and phaser :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

For some of the effects, there are a lot of tweaking options, and I am still testingā€¦

Yes, @Paul, they are digital - they are emulating classic effects, such as the first Bucket Brigade Chorus and the MXR phaser 90! Unfortunately, there is only one ā€œpresetā€ you can save and recallā€¦ for the others you need to remember the settings. You can download templates to note your favorite settings - almost like with analog synths :wink:

6 Likes

Hereā€™s a video that might be interesting to some of us :slightly_smiling_face:

ā€¦ and itā€™s not about a specific model of preamp as the preview might suggest :wink:

7 Likes