What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

Did you play on a passive or active bass? Are you using a very long cable? You could also use a boost/buffer pedal before your compression.

Anyway grats on the Hyperluminal! I would have pick that one over the MXR too. The Cali76 is good but imo it’s not the “easiest” compressor. It’s just a bit more particular (or exotic as ovnilab describes it).

3 Likes

Yeah, it is amazing how many options there are. However, I don’t think I could go amp-less - wouldn’t work for most likely scenarios right now. And thus, my “solution” is clearly more expensive, but hopefully for the long-term :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

it seems to be a nice choice @joergkutter . 700 or even 400w is really a huge power, you will probably never ever need more but it’s good to have a comfortable headroom as you only want clean tones. also I like the idea of the 1x12 cab(s), if you’re looking for something compact it’s a very good option in my opinion.

4 Likes

Ah, just saw I potentially misread your suggestion, @howard. You suggest a preamp/DI as an additionally option for the cases where I knew I didn’t have to bring the amp… yes, good point, and added on the agenda for later!!

4 Likes

This sounds like one hell of a set up.

What made you decide to go with 12’s instead of a 2x10? No judgement. Just curious. For some reason I always thought you would gravitate to the 10’s.

3 Likes

Thanks, Laurent! Getting a stamp of approval from you guys is like getting a weight off my shoulders :grin: I am always doubting my conclusions with all these potential options!

6 Likes

Thanks, Eric! I think it was the “form factor” really… Despite many discussions here, I don’t have more insight into whether 1x12 or 2x10 might be better. So, I opted for the slightly smaller version :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Your logic seems fine to me @joergkutter. This is also quite a big upgrade from your Rumble 40, holy moly… The thing is when you get used to your new setup and sound you won’t ever go back for anything less. At least in my experience. :wink:

This is exactly why I would always go for a head/cab instead of a combo amp. It offers more flexibility and you can also have two heads. I have a head at home and one for travel and you can switch cabs to find what suits you best as well.

That UA pedal looks really sexy too…

4 Likes

Thanks, @Paul. Yes, it is a huge upgrade… but, my hope was indeed to avoid doing another upgrade in a year or two if I had gone for an intermediate solution. The idea really was to get this settled once and for all (haha, I know, famous last words :grin:)

3 Likes

Totally legitimate reasoning. :+1:

That is one sexy amp. Did you get the trouble with customs worked out?

2 Likes

Nah, I don’t have it yet… and don’t know when I will get it. But I WILL get one… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Yeah that’s a “keep forever” kind of amp. If you ever outgrow THAT, just remember us little guys up in your rockstar penthouse :slight_smile:

There’s a few in Tokyo you could order if that one stays lost. A couple Forte’s too.

4 Likes

I have an active, a passive and a piezo.

that bergantino is sure getting a lot of buzz. it’s a well thought out plan. alternatives would seem to be a 2x10 in place of one of the 12s and a multi efx unit like line6 or kemper in place of the pedal. but these would just be alternatives to consider and not necessarily better.

3 Likes

And you have no issues with your Hyperluminal? Sadly MXR has a bit of a reputation when it comes to build quality… Maybe it was a faulty unit? I got two newer mini MXR pedals and luckily I didn’t had any problems with them. I still think MXR is one of the better brands when it comes to bass pedals :slight_smile:

Haven’t heard any UAFX bass examples yet. I think they are in the high-end range competing with Strymon and the likes.

2 Likes

just got it, but no, none.

3 Likes

Haha, it might just be a small room in an attic for a failed-scientist-cum-lousy-jazz-musician :grin:

Thanks for the offer, but that would also be an “adventure” in itself to get one home from Tokyo!!

3 Likes

Thanks! Yes, it is good to know that there are some alternative options to consider along the way, but while I find these high-powered multi-effects and modelers pretty cool gadgets, I don’t think I would really use them as much as would be warranted for what they cost :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks to @howard and to @Noisembryo who mentioned it in another thread, I’m becoming intrigued with the Tech 21 SansAmp Character Series VT Bass DI . . . :slight_smile:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SACVTBass2DI--tech-21-sansamp-character-series-vt-bass-di

Watched a number of YT videos on it and it seems to offer a great deal of extra punch for about half the price of the Darkglass series. I think it needs a 9v battery to work, but I’m unsure.

IF I get this (along with my new bass), I was thinking of using velcro tape to attach it to the top of my amp. Also attaching my Korg tuner the same way, so all would be in easy reach.

Wish me luck . . . :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s a great pedal. I really liked it.

3 Likes