What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

EHX introducing the Always-On Big Muff Pi. No footswitch required!

:metal: :joy:

5 Likes

Check the date!?!? :rofl:

3 Likes

I see no problem with this.

4 Likes

There’s actual kick-starters on way worse things :joy:

5 Likes

A word of warning: don’t say you’ve got a big muff when you’re in the UK :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Or the US.

2 Likes

Update: apparently that someone was a no-show, so I managed to snatch that BDI21 for only 10 Euros! :blush:

8 Likes

I’ve sort of gone round with compression pedals lately. I took the advice of ovnilab and bought the mxr bass compressor. I realized pretty quickly that it wasn’t going to work for me. I liked the led meter and the controls. but i found (and ovni mentioned) that I had to have a HUGE amount of input in order for it to respond. so it’s gone. didn’t really know what to replace it with, I really wanted the cali76 but it’s $350 bux (gulp). for some reason I always ignored this:

but not any longer! seems like from briefly playing with it that the darkglass hyperluminal will work out great. nice led monitoring like the mxr, tons of flexibility, sounds great and looks great. and not much more than the mxr.

7 Likes

Nice! Fantastic compressor from what I have heard.

2 Likes

Good to hear! Mines on order and awaiting it to be in stock again.

3 Likes

grab one on reverb if you can and save a few bux.

2 Likes

Do you mean signal input or user input to get the settings adjusted to get a sound you want?

1 Like

I mean I almost had to jump up and down on my strings, or crank the compression level, or both to get the meter to even flicker.

edit: in all fairness, I do tend to pluck extremely lightly. but still, even when I was whacking away (heh) with my thumb trying to get it to do something… not so much. just didn’t seem very responsive.

2 Likes

The Keely Bassist Limiting Amplifier. Read it on Ovnilab. its way easer to dial in, just no fancy lights, and he says the MXR may have a slightly sweeter sound when dialed in, but it can be a bitch to dial in. I love the Keely.
I would love to side by side it with the MXR, but I would not give it up.

I do think you made a good choice, I would love to test one of those out.
I am good with what I got, but I would still be interested.

Or if you don’t mind a big pedal, which you don’t, get the MarkBass Compressore. by far the best I have ever used. IDK why I sold it, but it had to do with space, but I would consider losing my other 3 to get one of them back.

4 Likes

What the hell do you need a compressor for then. LOL

3 Likes

You have the Keely Bassist, Boss BC-1X, what’s the third?

1 Like

SanJune

1 Like

I’ve been putting serious thoughts into selling my Strymon OB.1 (Bass mod) and getting the MarkBass Compressore, or maybe the Darkglass Hyper Luminal.

2 Likes

When I started this thread almost two years ago, I was very clueless about this entire topic. Now, two years later, I have learned a lot from you all and through the vids and links you shared here. And, the discussions are still ongoing (also in related threads) indicating that this is somehow always current and also of interest for new generations of bass players.

I have seen several of you go through iterations and settling on solutions that work best for what you have in mind with your playing - very inspiring. I think I finally also arrived at some conclusion for me; and I wanted to run this by you all to see whether there are any flaws in my “logic” I still hadn’t thought of :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

As background: I am looking for clean sounds and perhaps modulation effects, and much less interested in distortion, fuzz, or OD. I also wanted a solution that was somewhat portable, sufficient power for all uses, and could be easily adapted to different scenarios (home, rehearsal, small venues, …). Here is what I think should work for me:

First, I intend to sell my Rumble Studio 40 and the Boss GT-1B

I ordered instead the Bergantino B-Amp (700W with two cabs) and one 1x12 cab (400 W). This amp is small, lightweight (ca 3 kg), but packs a lot: includes a compressor, a tuner, and allows for some distortion, OD or fuzz (if I wanted to add a little grit). It has a 4-band EQ with variable Q-factor, and filter options to take care of potential resonances or feedbacks. I also can’t imagine needing more in power, but it has, of course, a DI out.

In order not to have to haul the cab around (which isn’t too heavy either, but still), I might get a second 12’’ cab, such that I can have one at home, one in the rehearsal room, and then I can take one or two to venues depending on the needs.

I intend to get the new UA Astra modulation pedal, which should fulfil ALL my modulation needs (chorus, flanger, trem, phaser, vibrato) and it sounds absolutely amazing!

So, I would carry a bass, an amp head and a pedal with me going back and forth between home and rehearsal, and perhaps a cab here and there if I ever get to play in venues. All in all, I think this should give me the control over the sound I want no matter where I play…

Or??

9 Likes

This sounds like a good plan for your needs. another option to be even lighter if you knew there was no need for an amp would be to add a preamp/DI or even just a straight DI. In this case something like the BDI-21 would be cheap and perfect. Could go after your Astra and even add some tone if you want it (or be a transparent thru if not).

Optional though.

5 Likes