What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

Dude, you’re killing 20’s even on a 15. That’s not even including skill, level bonus, and situational modifiers!

4 Likes

Haha, love it when a post just as well might have been written in Russian… not understanding one word :crazy_face:

5 Likes

It was all game terminology. The Nerd is strong in this one.

3 Likes

noodling and preparing a next cover as a pretext to test the Bass POD XT. I’m a bit surprised to realize that this thing sounds pretty much like the UX1 and PodFarm : it’s probably the same algorithms but I was not aware of that. anyway there is a big difference : the Bass POD XT has a lot more bass specific models (in fact ONLY bass specific models, where PodFarm has a lot of guitar gear).

The XT sounds and feels more “studio” compared to the Bass POD Pro which sounds and behaves more like a “real amplifier”. in fact the Bass POD XT feels like some kind of hardware VST, it’s pretty cool to have it on the desk and tweak the tone with the pots, all this with a ton of options (much more than on the Bass POD Pro).

First impressions : I like the XT more than what I expected !

2 Likes

That’s kind of a good description of some of the modern multieffectors - that’s how the B3n felt to me too.

2 Likes

That’s surprising. Didn’t they come out the same year?

edit : the Bass POD has been released in 2000 and the Bass POD XT in 2002.

2 Likes

Stumbled across this today. Might already be in this thread somewhere, but posting it in case it isn’t. Lots of quick demos of pedals.

4 Likes

Big love, @eric.kiser!!!

2 Likes

reflexions again about my possible bass pedalboard. My last idea would be to make a more “square” board with minimal pedals and a all-around preamp. This would be a bean POD, here I show a Bass POD XT because that’s what I have right now in bean format, but it could be another model.

The chain would be : Bass > Pitchblack (tuner / kill switch) > FX84 (compressor) > BDI21 (analog preamp / overdrive) > POD (amp & cab simulator)

The black board shown here is my current pedalboard. if I keep this idea I would built another one with a shorter height (see the red line), it would measure 31 cm (width) by 35 cm (height), almost a square. And it would fit in my existing pedalboard aluminum case.

The two problems I could have :

• build a power supply for all this gear (the POD needs some current !) / edit : might consider the idea of an external power block, as I’d have way enough room to store it in my pedalboard case. a little bit of engeenering needed for ground loop things ! but nothing impossible
  • find a way to fix the POD on the board : this thing has the strange bean shape it’s famous for …

preview :

(sorry for the bad light, you know I prefer outdoor pictures but I have a night problem right now :sweat_smile: )

3 Likes

This is kind of where I was at with the B3n before I decided to go all in on regular pedals. This should work great.

3 Likes

just did some calculation about the power supply. in theory I have everything to make it work with an external power block and no ground loop … might try this very soon !

2 Likes

One thing I am noticing about post-rock is there is a whole lot of Darkglass, or people like me going for that tone with other preamps.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that too. I know the Darkglass is high quality stuff, but actually for me it doesn’t give the sound that I’m after. I’m more for the 60s rock/blues type sounds. Although I do love some modern stuff as well. I just favor playing older stuff more. It’s kind of hard actually as most pedals seem to go for one or the other style. I don’t mean multi-effect pedals.

1 Like

You might actually like the EHX Battalion, two of its three EQ distortion modes are good for very nice, warm, dirty vintage overdrives.

The third mode only EQs the dry signal and is capable of Darkglass-like drives.

I like it a lot.

3 Likes

Just watched the video on it. Looks pretty good. I’m currently investigating pre-amps. This one has compression and distortion as well. Would you say they are good enough or do you recommend separate pedals for those?

1 Like

The distortion is why I own it. It is great and the pre/post/dry switch makes it really versatile.

The preamp/EQ is nice and neutral in tone.

The compressor is ok but very basic and you will want a better one eventually. Nice to have it there though.

The noise gate is poor, I do not use it.

2 Likes

I was watching some videos about overdrive vs distortion vs fuzz. I think I prefer fuzz. They all sound pretty similar though and I wonder if this is more about the manufacturers more than classifications.

2 Likes

Fuzz and overdrive are different. Both are forms of distortion. On my board I also have a fuzz pedal and often use it and overdrive at the same time.

A great example of a fuzz pedal would be the EHX Big Muff.

2 Likes

Top of my list in this family is the Seratone by Rocket Surgeon (Nordstrand). I also am considering their Starlifter pre-amp / DI. Both are pricey, but they sound great to my ears. Unfortunately, the Seratone is out of stock and they said there won’t be more for six months probably (they make each by hand)…

Any opinions/feedback on these two would be good to hear. I know I like the sounds, but don’t know as much about the functional stuff.

2 Likes