What's the deal with effects and pedals? (Also: sound in general)

This is 99.9% of all that matters :slight_smile:

2 Likes

overdrive, distrortion and fuzz refer to different kinds of circuitry. they donā€™t sound the same and they donā€™t feel the same to play.

2 Likes

Just aproposā€¦ very recently from BassTheWorld:

2 Likes

Overdrive and distortion being different is a good thing to point out and I should stop referring to the Battalion as overdrive as I am pretty certain itā€™s a separate distortion section and is not overdriving the preamp itself. It can act like overdrive in one of the modes but it is pretty much a separate blendable distortion, especially in the dry eq mode.

The Ampeg SCR-DI is the same with its scrambler section, but it doesnā€™t work nearly as well or as flexibly.

1 Like

yes, an overdrive is designed to force distortion from the first gain stage of a tube amp. itā€™s something very common in guitar amplification, way less with bass amps.

anyway an overdrive circuitry clips by itself. itā€™s called a soft clipping, somewhere between a hard compression on the edge and a distorsion. there are circuitries designed to push the first gain stage without actually adding their own distortion : boosters. I have a lot (love them on guitars) but I never found a nice use with basses so far.

3 Likes

@terb My son has a Vox AC15 that sounds kinda bland at low volume but sounds amazing at higher volume when the tubes are being driven. The problem is, he canā€™t play that loud at his place without causing problems with neighbors. If he gets a boost pedal would that let him get the great sound from the tubes being driven but be able to play at lower volume?

I love the Vox AC15 (my main amp being a boutique version of the '63 AC30) but itā€™s unusable if youā€™r just noodling in your appartment ā€¦ itā€™s incredibly loud.

He could maybe look for an AC4 (I have one too) but even at 4w itā€™s pretty hard to manage with neighbors.

I think the best solution for real low-volume Vox tones is to get a good modeling amp sim. I used my Pod HD500 for this, worked great. it sounds way better than an AC* at low volume.

To answer about the booster : a booster would crank the input stage so heā€™ll get some distortion, but the low volume will make the power tube sound pretty bad. it wonā€™t work so well overall.

1 Like

Thanks, @terb. Oh well. I was hoping to find an easy, inexpensive solution.

If someone is looking for a nice, warm, vintagey overdrive that isnā€™t too extreme, I just saw this one and it has some interesting sounding tone.

They also have a more ā€œextremeā€ version.

2 Likes

@terb, @howard, @eric.kiser, and all you other gearheads: looks like it is going to be a great summer for yā€™all

7 Likes

Yep. Iā€™m looking forward to that!

1 Like

oh awesome!

2 Likes

Here is what I just found in one of my old treasure boxes ā€¦ the first official Electro Harmonix Effects Sampler DVD ! which are a lot of demos and explainations about EHX effects. I think this DVD is pretty rare, I had it at the time because I knew very well the guy who imported all the EHX products in France.

not sure this thing is copyrighted, so I think I will rip it and upload it :v::grin:

2 Likes

Oh cool!

2 Likes

after a long conversion and upload ā€¦ here it is !

3 Likes

Do you have any idea what year thatā€™s from?

thereā€™s no date on it, Iā€™d say very early 2000ā€™s

1 Like

Here is a pedal that a friend just gave me as a gift. Itā€™s a custom pedal he created from scratch just for me, with a unique picture (tribute to Converge , a band we both love) engraved into the metal with an acid bath. Itā€™s an ABY box.

9 Likes

Nice! I was just listening to Converge actually.

Love the buttons.

2 Likes

What a nice friend! Adding the artistry to something so functional makes this pedal a serious winner.

2 Likes