What's Your DAI (Digital Audio Interface)?

I use a Solid State Logic SSL2. They are relatively new. Had a Focusrite 2i2 before that and didn’t like it. Love the SSL2. Only issue I have with it is that if my computer sleeps the SSL2 doesn’t always reconnect automatically when I wake the computer up. Although that might be a Windows/software issue. Not a big deal anyway, I just either restart or unplug/replug it. It also has a massive volume dial, which I use to control the volume of my whole system (speaker/headphones) easily.

3 Likes

Ha, yeah, that’s me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I use StudioOne 5 that came with my Presonus… I like it but have not compared it to other to be honest. Waiting for another Black Friday to upgrade to tthe Professional version at half price. They also have a monthly subscription for $15 a month for latest versions (Pro) and all their plugins in case you want to give a try for a month or 2. Im not much of a fan of subscription model for software. But thats just me.

3 Likes

Mackie Onyx Blackjack is mine

Pros:

• Metal casing
  • Built like a tank
  • High quality knobs / pads
  • Great preamps
  • Inputs on the back
  • Angled

Cons:

• Crappy sound quality from headphone output
  • Drivers officially support only Windows 7 and below (works on 10 without problem)

4 Likes

I have the Zoom U-44 plus the attachment to add two additional ports.

3 Likes

For DAWs…here is the thing…if you go to a pro studio or send in your stems to a sound engineer…there is probably a 90% chance they are using Pro-Tools. On that level it really is the “industry standard”. Does that really mean anything? Yes and no. It’s kind of like Fender P or Jazz. They are a standard, and a standard for a reason. They WILL have a sound and a feel that is something people are used to hearing. It isn’t really right or wrong.

Using Pro-Tools itself or something similar to is going with the industry standard. So the Fender fans out there (Fender owners) pro-tools or StudioOne is probably where you want to get familiar.

Keep in mind I’m not a Fender fan, but I also get it!

3 Likes

It’s interesting, because it’s used a lot in studios maybe, but for home recording professionals, I see a lot of Logic Pro.

1 Like

Who cares what industry standard is…if you are independent artists / engineer use what you like and find your own sound through experimentation. One of the reasons music sucks today is because everyone is using same equipment / techniques to produce music.

6 Likes

same, in the studio I’ve recorded previously I’ve mostly seen Logic … and one time Reaper (an early version at the time) … that’s probably the day I fell in love :grin:

3 Likes

Totally agree, that’s part of why I don’t own a Fender, nor am I much of a fan of them, and also I don’t use Pro-tools, I use StudioOne. StudioOne has some of the best features of ProTools from what I have seen, but doesn’t take a degree from Berklee to learn how to use.

That said, I was just sharing the info that that is what the Pros use most often. It’s just info because some people care about that…also if you are aspiring to be a sound engineer it would probably make sense to go the Pro-Tools route…some paying artists would be particular about it (clients with deeper pockets).

For home, doesn’t really matter. Different people have different goals with regard to studio/recording stuff.

3 Likes

I must be a “Fender fan”. because of the history and all of those things … maybe, probably, certainly. but there is something that goes further : it just works. a Fender is a working instrument. it’s an industry thing really but there is no-nonsense in those designs, it just works. it works really well, to be true.

I could buy a copy of a Fender design for a fraction of the price (Squier or other brands with higher quality : Sire or most expensive other brands like Sanberg or Mayones) but why would I buy a copy if I can afford the real thing ? really, that’s it. I’m a Fender guy. I’m not rich but I’m not poor, so I can play on MIA Fender instruments, and I don’t really have a reason to buy another brand. Fender is somewhat the security to me. I know it works, that’s fine.

currently I own 5 Fender instruments (4 guitars including 2 vintage, 1 bass). My #1 guitar is a Fender MIA (not a vintage), my #1 bass is a Fender MIA. no-nonsense, it just works.

9 Likes

@howard

Cakewalk Sonar is now free - her is a link Cakewalk SONAR DAW for Windows is back - and it's now free - CDM Create Digital Music

4 Likes

Totally agree and have no issue with people personally liking them, they ARE good instruments. I was more just making the comparison to Pro-Tools…everything you just said about Fenders is also the reasoning behind people using Pro-Tools primarily.

My issue with Fenders is mostly I just don’t like how they feel in my hands. Sound and everything else is great, just personally don’t like their feel.

1 Like

yeah, absolutly no problem. I’ll never judge anybody regarding to the gear they’re using. (including software) and what I’ve always said is that anyone has to find what works in its case.

I’m really not saying that a Fender is the answer to everything. just that it works for me.

3 Likes

That’s the big thing. What works for us individually is most important. Everyone’s goals vary though. If you wanted to be a session bassist that big time artists brought in…you’d probably want to have and be comfy with a P! They will likely ask for it.

If you want to make your own studio and record for artists…you probably want to be proficient in Pro-Tools, a good portion of artists will want it from you

1 Like

I didn’t know Pro-Tools and Studio One also made DAIs. I’ll have to look into those.

3 Likes
  • Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 (2nd gen)
  • Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2
  • Universal Audio Arrow
  • Zoom U22

If had to pick one I would recommend the Focusrite. The build and sound quality are really good.

3 Likes

@Paul How did you end up with so many Audio Interfaces?

@terb How is the headphone interface on the Steinberg?

2 Likes

no idea :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I use a darkglass element for my headphone amp and DAI. I don’t use my amp anymore because I mostly practice when the kids are in virtual class or in bed. I can’t recommend the element enough. It is expensive but worth every penny. Also darkglass seem to be adding new features with every update. It now has a tuner and I believe a metronome and drum machine are in the works for it.

5 Likes